Confirmed with Link: John Chayka named Arizona Coyotes GM

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Chayka says don't overplay the Tippett connection factor in the search for the AGM.

Some speculation from Morgan (not rumors, but his own speculation):

- Tampa advisor Tom Kurvers (formerly Dir. of Player Personnel in Arizona)
- Pittsburgh AGM Bill Guerin (played for Tipp in Dallas)
- Pittsburgh AGM Jason Botterill (scout in Dallas)
- Nashville AGM Paul Fenton (Tipp teammate in Hartford)

The last two would be terrific additions. Botterill nearly got the Penguins GM job until Rutherford became available. And obviously Fenton has a nice track record in Nashville.

First two I'll puke blood from my eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and ass. Second two? Either works fine for me.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ok. So not only are we less than 3 weeks from the supposed Arena deadline, we're also still without that AGM hire. Perhaps our current target is still in the playoffs.

Which leads me to Jason Botterill. Morgan mentioned his name before. He noted the connection of him being a Dallas scout, but it runs deeper than that. Obviously beyond Tippett coaching is Tim Bernhardt, who would've been his boss in Dallas. Beyond that, he played under Jim Playfair when he was head coach of the old Saint John AHL team.

I'm a little cautious to make Botterill our AGM/Senior VP guy as he's only 40, and we'd be pairing that with a 26-year-old, but the credentials are there. A year ago, Botterill was the GM in waiting in Pittsburgh but then Rutherford came along. Can see Rutherford sticking around longer too, especially if he has another Cup ring by this time next week.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Botterill intrigues me. Caught interview w him earlier in the year on XM. I was impressed.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
There's also a section in the THN draft issue where he's interviewed. As is Bernhardt.

I just think that if we were to land someone like Dave Taylor (St. Louis), it'd be done already. It's probably also easier to convince a 40-year-old guy like Botterill to move across the country than it is someone older.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Botterill intrigues me. Caught interview w him earlier in the year on XM. I was impressed.

There's also a section in the THN draft issue where he's interviewed. As is Bernhardt.

I just think that if we were to land someone like Dave Taylor (St. Louis), it'd be done already. It's probably also easier to convince a 40-year-old guy like Botterill to move across the country than it is someone older.

I like Botterill.

He's another Cap guru to add and has a solid Drafting Record.

He would be a excellent hire, but he already is a Associate GM in Pittsburgh. How would a AGM here be a promotion? Money?:dunno:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ok. So not only are we less than 3 weeks from the supposed Arena deadline, we're also still without that AGM hire. Perhaps our current target is still in the playoffs.

Which leads me to Jason Botterill. Morgan mentioned his name before. He noted the connection of him being a Dallas scout, but it runs deeper than that. Obviously beyond Tippett coaching is Tim Bernhardt, who would've been his boss in Dallas. Beyond that, he played under Jim Playfair when he was head coach of the old Saint John AHL team.

I'm a little cautious to make Botterill our AGM/Senior VP guy as he's only 40, and we'd be pairing that with a 26-year-old, but the credentials are there. A year ago, Botterill was the GM in waiting in Pittsburgh but then Rutherford came along. Can see Rutherford sticking around longer too, especially if he has another Cup ring by this time next week.

Is anyone on the Sharks worth looking at?

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
He would be a excellent hire, but he already is a Associate GM in Pittsburgh. How would a AGM here be a promotion? Money?:dunno:

With how well Pittsburgh is doing, it wouldn't surprise me if GMJR stayed for longer. However none of us know this.

But yeah, a better title and more money would really be the only things he would get if he came to us

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Is anyone on the Sharks worth looking at?

AGM Joe Will is an intriguing option. He's involved will aspects of Hockey ops, but his main thing is the draft. He's known to use computer scouting analysis (According to his Sharks Bio).

The computer scouting thing runs along the lines with the analytics movement we have going here, but I'm not sure what it would take for him to leave, considering he received a contract extension in 2014.

Maybe Tim Burke who is director of scouting for them? Been with the franchise for 16 years and has had an integral role in the drafting process.

Not sure what the ratio is for Director of Scouting jobs to become AGM's but I feel he would be good but very unlikely. Considering his tenure with the franchise and the fact the Tim Bernhardt runs our scouting operation.

Don't know if there is a Tippett connection between either of these guys, but I like Joe Will. He seems like the kind of guy who could do the analytics movement we have

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Being able to say he ferried a wet behind the ears child GM through a rebuild and brought a team out of the gutter and into the playoffs will get him a real GM job some place. What he has to gain(and it's a risk) is quantifiable results that he can bring to an interview that show he's a great leader in all situations and has run the full course of management situations, being successful at every stop.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Botterill would likely assume the same/similar title in Arizona, but I imagine it would come with greater responsibility and input.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

Well, they could informally tell Botterill that if Cheyka doesn't do well (or leaves) that he would be promoted to the GM position. I've noticed that some teams tend to switch folks every once in a while. Perhaps the Coyotes wanted a GM as soon as possible and opted for an internal promotion to help with the draft? After a season or two, Chayka and Botterill could switch roles since with the "GroupThink" model, switching positions around could easily be done without being considered a promotion/demotion.

In looking at other teams' hockey operations models, there is a decent variety, so ownership may decide to re-structure in a year or two (especially if Tipp wants to move up once he's done coaching).

The Hockey Operations model that seems most prevalent is:
  • VP of Hockey Operations (usually executive)
  • General Manager (sometimes executive)
  • Assistant General Manager
  • Director of Scouting
  • Director of Player Development
  • Director of Analytics (usually combined with something else)
  • Director of Hockey Administration (goes by many titles)
  • Director of Team Services

I would like the coyotes to eventually adopt this model.

General Manager meets with executives.

Operations group includes AGM, Dir of Scouting, Dir of Player Development, and Dir of Analytics (this is where the "GroupThink" should occur). I suppose the GM could be involved in this as well

Another group would include GM, AGM, and VP.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/6726369-chayka-busy-at-work-in-first-month-as-gm/

That bit about Van Ryn is new info. He recently left his assistant coaching spot with the Kitchener Rangers.

Smart kid. Taking development very seriously.

Chayka wants to optimize the Coyotes development process, ensuring that the club converts on as many picks as possible. That conversion rate, Chayka says, "in our minds is going to be what separates us from the pack, from the other teams."

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
If we have guys like Slaney, Sullivan, and now Van Ryn on the payroll, having a relative hands on approach... I just wonder why no Ast. GM yet and no AHL coach yet.

I guess he is taking the patient approach? That's fine. Still early. I remember after the Cardinals fired Whisenhunt the local media went ape-**** on the team for not hiring Andy Reid or filling the position while all these other teams made hirings. Then later on they announced Arians. Either way, the speculation is still fun.

I'll throw out some names. Gord Dineen? Sheldon Keefe took over his job in Toronto this year. He was an assistant coach for us in San Antonio back in the day. Also, Brad Church? He ran the recent Roadrunners that played at the AWA. He also was, I think, the president of the Portland Pirates during the Coyotes affiliation.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The more I read about Chayka the more I like him. I still think it may have been a few years too early to hire him for the big GM job, or instead they could've hired a very experienced president of hockey ops to help. If they are able to get an AGM with a lot of experience that would be almost the same thing. My bigger concern is still Tip having final say, but we'll see how it plays out.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Chayka says they're close to naming the coaching staff. Perhaps they'll time it with Saturday's unveiling of the Roadrunners name?

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hmm. I thought I remember Van Ryn as the assistant coach in Kitchener. Turns out he was the head coach. The new head coach is Jay McKee, who was promoted from assistant coach. Barnaby will fill that role.

What's interesting is that Van Ryn left the Rangers for "family reasons", and to my understanding it was because he didn't want to commit the time required to be a coach. Maybe his role will be similar to Steve Sullivan's (i.e., player development?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad