Confirmed with Link: John Chayka named Arizona Coyotes GM

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
This could backfire, but it could also be a stroke of genius. To throw insults at everyone because they didn't do it YOUR way is ridiculous. Why not wait for a season and see what happens?

We don't need to wait a season to see what happens. We know what's going to happen based on history. We know what is the right structure and the wrong structure to make as we have seen in the past the results of other teams who have done with the right or wrong structure.

I have given you countless examples and I have told you to pay attention to history but you continue to ignore things that you don't want to hear.

We get you're a very positive person for the Coyotes and while I applaud for support for the Coyotes that doesn't mean you should resort to your martyr when any thought provoking information comes your way.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
What parts do you see as that?
"That style of decision making is common in businesses. And it is becoming more popular." That is fact. What the Coyotes are moving to is not new, go study how organizations are structured/changing.
I did also speculate based on that, I based my speculation on interviews, history of other teams, and other businesses. Some of that all comes together. Like in Chaykas interview where he talked about working with a partner before.

It does work that way in the real world. Chayka talked about it himself. Look at other teams like the Cardinals, Seahawks.

Obviously there are some moves where both won't be 100% on board. But the main point is with both making moves together, both having respect for each others views I don't see any boneheaded moves being made with this setup. That is why organizations choose to have this system for decision making, it's #1 Pro is to prevent dumb decisions.

Now don't get me wrong there still will be some mistakes made, every team makes them. I'm not foolish to think everything they do will be perfect. But I think it is a bit silly to go and be completely pessimistic and think the team is ruined. Which seems to be a popular belief, and anything to the contrary gets mockingly called "idyllic"

I agree, this style of management is becoming much more common in business and the primary reason is to avoid major mistakes. Anyone that has owned a decent size business or sat on a public board would know this to be true and have first hand knowledge of how it works in the real world.

The belief that the team is ruined is supported by only a handful of posters, saying the same thing over and over again, much of it not true. As an example, in the video, Chayka never said "Tip has final say", a few have eluded to in this thread. I listened to it twice to make sure I know exactly what he said.

IA shot DM because he was more unilateral in his decisions. They won't let Tip or anyone else do that again, that's why they made the change.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't really know why DM was fired. At this point, I wish him well and really don't care why he was fired. I say, I haven't been disappointed in anything done by Chayka and Tippet in the new management structure so far. (that's a yoke, son)

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
We don't need to wait a season to see what happens. We know what's going to happen based on history. We know what is the right structure and the wrong structure to make as we have seen in the past the results of other teams who have done with the right or wrong structure.

I have given you countless examples and I have told you to pay attention to history but you continue to ignore things that you don't want to hear.

We get you're a very positive person for the Coyotes and while I applaud for support for the Coyotes that doesn't mean you should resort to your martyr when any thought provoking information comes your way.

What teams exactly have operated exactly like this? When I've brought up ones similar they get shot down because they don't suit that persons history.

And the thing is even if there was one, we would not know, nobody would know how it would play out. There are different people running this team than whatever team someone would compare. To say you know it will fail is a bit much.

I don't really know why DM was fired. At this point, I wish him well and really don't care why he was fired. I say, I haven't been disappointed in anything done by Chayka and Tippet in the new management structure so far. (that's a yoke, son)

With hearing more interviews, combined with the initial press conference I think the owners just wanted a different culture, a different management style. I don't think it's that think Maloney was bad, but he wasn't the right fit for their organization. Have to remember he wasn't hired by them.

I agree, this style of management is becoming much more common in business and the primary reason is to avoid major mistakes. Anyone that has owned a decent size business or sat on a public board would know this to be true and have first hand knowledge of how it works in the real world.

The belief that the team is ruined is supported by only a handful of posters, saying the same thing over and over again, much of it not true. As an example, in the video, Chayka never said "Tip has final say", a few have eluded to in this thread. I listened to it twice to make sure I know exactly what he said.

IA shot DM because he was more unilateral in his decisions. They won't let Tip or anyone else do that again, that's why they made the change.

Thank you for also recognizing that this is becoming more common.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Dunno why people are automatically assuming the collaboration model is the best- can lead to groupthink amongst other issues.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
On Don Maloney

While I still don't like his firing. I wish he was still part of the org.

but he wasn't the right fit for their organization.

So now that I caught the double talk that you made with Maloney here I'm really becoming more suspicious with what you're posting. Especially with the "Maloney wasn't hired by IA" comment seeing as you failed to mention that Tippett wasn't hired under the watch of IA either. For accuracy purposes, Maloney was hired under Jerry Moyes before the bankruptcy and Tippett was hired after the bankruptcy while the team was owned by the NHL.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
So now that I caught the double talk that you made with Maloney here I'm really becoming more suspicious with what you're posting. Especially with the "Maloney wasn't hired by IA" comment seeing as you failed to mention that Tippett wasn't hired under the watch of IA either. For accuracy purposes, Maloney was hired under Jerry Moyes before the bankruptcy and Tippett was hired after the bankruptcy while the team was owned by the NHL.

It wasn't double talk. I liked GMDM, I liked the things he did. But he didn't fit the owners vision of how a front office should run. That's all, it really isn't complicated.

Yes I do know when people were hired, and it doesn't detract anything I said. Both were not originally chosen as you pointed out. But Tippett coincidentally fits in with what IA wants. While Maloney did not.

There were rumors both of them could have been let go as soon as IA took over, with them wanting to shape their team the way they want. They didn't then but they chose to shape it to their liking now.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Dunno why people are automatically assuming the collaboration model is the best- can lead to groupthink amongst other issues.

It's just buzzword koolaid that a handful of people seem eager to get drunk on. Never mind that a coach staged a coup. It's all about being future and collabs.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
On Don Maloney

And it was Don Maloney who reached out to Tippett the day after Gretzky resigned as head coach and then hired him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Different people, different times, different circumstances etc. etc. etc. You call it a failure and the Coyotes haven't even finished with their hiring. You can't predict the future so don't pretend that you know what is going to happen.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I really don't think anyone is assuming that. I think what we are saying is you have to wait and see. As usual, some posters get all bent out of shape and think they know what is best. I have no idea if this structure will work, but it is what it is and we will find out in a year if it is working.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I really don't think anyone is assuming that. I think what we are saying is you have to wait and see. As usual, some posters get all bent out of shape and think they know what is best. I have no idea if this structure will work, but it is what it is and we will find out in a year if it is working.

Well we must first consider that these same posters hate DT and have (to my amusement) convinced themselves that he orchestrated a successful coupe to remove GMDM. Thus they have yet again worked themselves into a fever pitch and forecast doom. However these are typically the same posters who seem to enjoy shedding a negative light on most all decisions that involve retaining DT. We don't know who (other than not DT), they would like to see at the helm and we won't ever know (at this point) if they are indeed correct in their assertion that he should not be.

I can certainly respect the skeptism of not only DT, but the new structure. I can only laugh regarding the assumed coupe and the over the top claims that are presented as (also assumed) fact, by many of these same posters.

It takes all kinds.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Different people, different times, different circumstances etc. etc. etc. You call it a failure and the Coyotes haven't even finished with their hiring. You can't predict the future so don't pretend that you know what is going to happen.

And this post validates everything I said in the last post to you.

Jim Balsille didn't use group-think.

Look at where he is now...

I'm not surprised by this remark seeing that you said Yandle is at the same level as Mark Sanchez.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

The "collaboration model" is basically creating the effect of one knowledgable, skilled person out of the aggregate.

The idea is, between Chayka (player analysis), Drummond (business acumen), and Tippett (on-ice expertise [stay with me, Tip haters]), they can approximate having a superstar GM by mashing together three different people.

It's actually quite common in lower-budget and lower-profile operations because they can't afford to go out and get the real star performers, and even if they could, they wouldn't have much chance of wooing them to their team.

Given the composition of IceArizona, it fits in very well with their modus operandi because it's the same way they built their ownership coalition. So at least they're consistent.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
And this post validates everything I said in the last post to you.

I'm not surprised by this remark seeing that you said Yandle is at the same level as Mark Sanchez.

Good, but leaves you wanting more and feeling like he should be improving other players much more than he is? Absolutely.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well we must first consider that these same posters hate DT and have (to my amusement) convinced themselves that he orchestrated a successful coupe to remove GMDM. Thus they have yet again worked themselves into a fever pitch and forecast doom. However these are typically the same posters who seem to enjoy shedding a negative light on most all decisions that involve retaining DT. We don't know who (other than not DT), they would like to see at the helm and we won't ever know (at this point) if they are indeed correct in their assertion that he should not be.

I can certainly respect the skeptism of not only DT, but the new structure. I can only laugh regarding the assumed coupe and the over the top claims that are presented as (also assumed) fact, by many of these same posters.

It takes all kinds.

Could not have said it better.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Uh Tippet did couple gmdm. That's not speculation. Media sources, you know, serious ones that arebt local and in the teams pocket, very much described Maloney losing a power struggle.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

It takes all kinds.

I don't "hate" Dave Tippett, but I have reservations about him being in the position of picking his roster based upon previous events. I'm not the only person here who thinks exactly like that but to paint all of us as "haters" is using a rather broad brush.

That feeling can change over time, but until I see something that gives me a reason to change my mind I'm not going to temper my opinion about.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I have no problem with Dave Tippet's body of work. Given what he has had to deal with, I don't think that Scotty Bowman could have done better than he. Given Chayka's lack of (job,life) experience, adding Tippet's voice to management decisions seems to me to be a good idea.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
With hearing more interviews, combined with the initial press conference I think the owners just wanted a different culture, a different management style. I don't think it's that think Maloney was bad, but he wasn't the right fit for their organization. Have to remember he wasn't hired by them.
"Anaheim Ducks fire Bruce Boudreau, despite four straight division championships in his five years at the helm, Boudreau's Ducks were bounced in the first round twice and never managed to make it farther than the conference finals."

"Indiana Pacers fire head coach Frank Vogel, Vogel, who led the Pacers to four postseasons and two Eastern Conference Finals series since taking over in the 2010-11 season."

This is old school- Ohio State's Earle Bruce: He Had Best Record in Big Ten for Nine Years; Why Was He Fired? Don't Ask, He Doesn't Know.

Examples of wanting a different culture, a different management style...

It is what it is, a business where nodody's job is safe.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I don't "hate" Dave Tippett, but I have reservations about him being in the position of picking his roster based upon previous events. I'm not the only person here who thinks exactly like that but to paint all of us as "haters" is using a rather broad brush.

That feeling can change over time, but until I see something that gives me a reason to change my mind I'm not going to temper my opinion about.

Only painting the haters as haters. They know who they are.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The "collaboration model" is basically creating the effect of one knowledgable, skilled person out of the aggregate.

The idea is, between Chayka (player analysis), Drummond (business acumen), and Tippett (on-ice expertise [stay with me, Tip haters]), they can approximate having a superstar GM by mashing together three different people.

It's actually quite common in lower-budget and lower-profile operations because they can't afford to go out and get the real star performers, and even if they could, they wouldn't have much chance of wooing them to their team.

Given the composition of IceArizona, it fits in very well with their modus operandi because it's the same way they built their ownership coalition. So at least they're consistent.

HELL NO! IT WAS DAVE TIPPET, THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN. WE SAW HIM IN THE GRASSY KNOLL CALLING ALL THE SHOTS! :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad