HF Habs: Joel Bouchard: The BeauCHar Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Could be anything — including the Bouchard camp wanting to consider its options. Can’t think of any reason for the Habs delaying a decision to have him continue in Laval. Has to be something else.

I don't think it's too complicated. Ducharme is interim coach for now and depending on if he is extended or not it may impact what Bouchard does. I hope he stays in Laval and continues his great work.

Reactions: calder candidate

Astormynight

Apr 19, 2015
You may be right. Numbers are on your side. But he had crap goaltending most of the time. And as Michel Bergeron would say, you're only as good as your goaltender.

Someone also told me, it's kinda hard to verify so it might be wrong, that in Tampa Bay and Ottawa, the gm hired new assistant coaches to Boucher after his first . Assistant coaches that Boucher had no say in hiring and that he had to work with people he did not want to work with and that did not have the same vision has him. It's not a big excuse but it might explain why the it works only one year aura surrounding him.

I'll be in to give him a chance with his own assistant coaches for a 2-3 years ... he has more experience now.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Could be anything — including the Bouchard camp wanting to consider its options. Can’t think of any reason for the Habs delaying a decision to have him continue in Laval. Has to be something else.

He was quoted as saying that he did not have a contract and did not want to discuss it with the media. Sounded like he hadn't been offered a contract yet but maybe he's negotiating for a promotion or more money? Looking at options?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I assume want happens is MB gets extended, Dom gets hired as coach and Bouchard will be Laval's GM/Head Coach for the next few years. Just a total guess on my part. Maybe Molson steps down as president and MB gets moved up and maybe Timmins, Burke or Mellanby become GM and they decide on Dom's future would assume they keep him but let him pick his assistants.

I hope I'm wrong and MB is gone but I would be very surprised if that happens. Then again I was caught off guard when Julien got canned, didn't see that coming. Bouchard I would be ok with him being the Habs coach but I'd rather he be in Laval as I don't know if his act would work in the NHL. You don't see NHL coaches hugging their players after they score a goal. I said at the time that I thought Guy Boucher was making a mistake, he had 1 year of experience in the AHL and then leaves for the NHL, would have been very interesting to see what might have happened had he opted to stay in Hamilton for several years to get more experience.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
And yet...no contracts for Bouchard yet. I don't understand that one if he is interested in staying.
There are still a few head/assistant coaching jobs open at the NHL level, he might just be waiting to see if the phone is going to ring. I mean, we don't even know if Ducharme is coming back or not, technicaly at least.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Remember that tweet from a few months ago about keeping an eye on Bouchard for NHL opportunities? If you were him, wouldn’t you want to know what they’d offer before committing to anyone?

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Remember that blurb from a few weeks ago about how several teams have their eyes in him? If you were him, wouldn’t you want to know what they’d offer before committing to anyone?

I must've missed the blurb because I haven't heard his name regarding NHL gigs.

It doesn't mean he hasn't garnered interest. Just that I haven't heard his name circulating.

widowmaker

Jun 21, 2009
MB
Bergevin gets promoted to team president.....Bouchard GM ......and Ducharme named coach.......just a guess

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I assume want happens is MB gets extended, Dom gets hired as coach and Bouchard will be Laval's GM/Head Coach for the next few years. Just a total guess on my part. Maybe Molson steps down as president and MB gets moved up and maybe Timmins, Burke or Mellanby become GM and they decide on Dom's future would assume they keep him but let him pick his assistants.

I hope I'm wrong and MB is gone but I would be very surprised if that happens. Then again I was caught off guard when Julien got canned, didn't see that coming. Bouchard I would be ok with him being the Habs coach but I'd rather he be in Laval as I don't know if his act would work in the NHL. You don't see NHL coaches hugging their players after they score a goal. I said at the time that I thought Guy Boucher was making a mistake, he had 1 year of experience in the AHL and then leaves for the NHL, would have been very interesting to see what might have happened had he opted to stay in Hamilton for several years to get more experience.
Coach / GM Laval would be music to my ears. For all those clamoring for a Team Prez, the Achilles heel of this org going on 50-years has been amateur scouting & player development - an independent eye focused on amateur development & amateur UFA signings is exactly what this org needs & has needed in forever....not a Team Prez

Reactions: Surfer72

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not so fast, however, if Jo Jo follows Brisebois /. Nill route AGM AHL then promo to NHL GM

Has Bouchard ever stated a preference or a liking for a front office role? Maybe he’d prefer continuing in a coaching capacity, who knows.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I must've missed the blurb because I haven't heard his name regarding NHL gigs.

It doesn't mean he hasn't garnered interest. Just that I haven't heard his name circulating.

I edited my post to more accurately reflect what had been said about Bouchard’s opportunities:

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I edited my post to more accurately reflect what had been said about Bouchard’s opportunities:

Ah yes. I remember that one.

This doesn't mean Joel wouldn't get interest, but I don't see him getting a shot before guys like Pascal Vincent and Benoit Groulx to name two, who have been doing this and having success longer.

Reactions: Runner77

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Has Bouchard ever stated a preference or a liking for a front office role? Maybe he’d prefer continuing in a coaching capacity, who knows.
Jo Jo has never stated anything publicly I’m aware of. Its been rumored since the time Habs were courting him while in juniors, his preference was in management vs coaching

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ah yes. I remember that one.

This doesn't mean Joel wouldn't get interest, but I don't see him getting a shot before guys like Pascal Vincent and Benoit Groulx to name two, who have been doing this and having success longer.

The X-factor is always the connections these guys have to NHL executives on account of past contexts like having been teammates in their younger days. There is no denying that close friendships get in the way and often supersede track records and hard facts.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Remember that tweet from a few months ago about keeping an eye on Bouchard for NHL opportunities? If you were him, wouldn’t you want to know what they’d offer before committing to anyone?

Only so many spots for a head coach gig...Seattle.....Arzonia......would Stevie Y fire and hire JB?

Other than that,asst coach positions......he could be Asst coach in Montreal next year if he wants.

Montreal running down the Cup,no contracts will be discussed or become a distraction.

If he wants to stay great,if not will see him some other day down the road.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Only so many spots for a head coach gig...Seattle.....Arzonia......would Stevie Y fire and hire JB?

Other than that,asst coach positions......he could be Asst coach in Montreal next year if he wants.

Montreal running down the Cup,no contracts will be discussed or become a distraction.

Blashill was just extended a month ago.

Reactions: Habaneros

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

All fine but who would replace him if he were to leave? We’ve only truly had competent development in the MB era, with Bouchard on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad