Player Discussion Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
That line will combine for 30 g maximum

If that.

But to be fair, any line centered by DLR is going to be terribad. Its dubious the guy is any kind of NHL talent. Heck, is dubious he's even a 2nd line center on a good AHL team.

Which also speaks to an issue with this deal. Where is the upside to Montreal acquiring another middling at best winger when they have about 5 lines worth already and only one NHL centerman of any quality.

Reactions: G0bias and Peanut

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Armia is not just another winger. He's a 25 years old NHL player from Pori, Finland.

Anyone missing the point of this trade: the Habs acquiring an older mentor for our most important prospect, should give their head a shake.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
He's never put up more than 29 points in his career. I'm not sure where your optimism comes from.

have you checked out how many seasons he's played? He's clearly not done progressing. You make it seem like he's been playing 10 years in the nhl.

Reactions: Redux91

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Jets fan here.

You guys are going to love Armia. I've always thought he has the ability to be a 60pt player, he was always stuck playing with guys like Lowry, Mattias, Copp, and recently Tanev.

If Mattias could have scored on a quarter of the glorious setups Armia dished to him then Armia's point totals would be way higher.

He's only played a minimal minutes on the PP.

He's an amazing PK'r and we have seen him kill penalties single handedly, he gets the puck deep and gets it back, then he can use his strength and skill to basically rag the puck for a whole minute.

I'm really disappointed to see him traded from Winnipeg before he got a real shot to allow his offense to shine.

You're in for some highlights with this guy!

Congrats to the Jets Fans 4 Raymond Bourque

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
A "good chance" based on what exactly?

Standard NHL player aging curves. Players peak and plateau much younger than is commonly assumed, 25 is pretty much dead on for a forward's average peak year. Armia's physical skills were probably at the best they will every be last season and he was in a reasonably favourable team stituation too. At this point its better to think of his 2017-18 campaign as closer to his ceiling than his floor.

That he's only been in the NHL a few seasons at his age doesn't speak that well for him despite what people have made out earlier in this thread. It means he spent longer than average figuring things out in the AHL and needed to be closer to his physical peak to be an NHLer at all.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Standard NHL player aging curves. Players peak and plateau much younger than is commonly assumed, 25 is pretty much dead on for a forward's average peak year. Armia's physical skills were probably at the best they will every be last season and he was in a reasonably favourable team stituation too. At this point its better to think of his 2017-18 campaign as closer to his ceiling than his floor.

That he's only been in the NHL a few seasons at his age doesn't speak that well for him despite what people have made out earlier in this thread. It means he spent longer than average figuring things out in the AHL and needed to be closer to his physical peak to be an NHLer at all.
Playing behind 2 of the Top 10 RWs in the entire NHL was favourable?
Brendan Gallagher is a 3rd liner on Winnipeg, wonder how good he'd be with under 13 mins/game
It's not unusual for Europeans to take longer to break into the league

I'm excited to see what he can do with more playing time, can't say that about too many players MB has added during his tenure

Last edited:
Reactions: Se829ne and jaffy27

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Not followed Montreal anyway since days of Saku. However, now I'll gonna do that.

Armia has no any kind character/personality deficits, him being coachable team player as well. Few years seniority to Finnish prospects makes him good mentor for them. Armia is the guy who can probably adapt to almost any role decently, but not ever shining too bright in any special aspects of the game either. No ego issues of any kind from this hard worker.

I'm sad Jets sent him on the road, but it maybe best for him and his career: Jets being too deep for One Man Army currently.

Good luck Army! :)

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Not followed Montreal anyway since days of Saku. However, now I'll gonna do that.

Armia has no any kind character/personality deficits, him being coachable team player as well. Few years seniority to Finnish prospects makes him good mentor for them. Armia is the guy who can probably adapt to almost any role decently, but not ever shining too bright in any special aspects of the game either. No ego issues of any kind from this hard worker.

I'm sad Jets sent him on the road, but it maybe best for him and his career: Jets being too deep for One Man Army currently.

Good luck Army! :)

Welcome to the Montreal Finn-adiens

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
Another Jets fan coming to say enjoy Armia. He flashes brilliance but disappears as well. I think his game is still evolving but his bread and butter is possession. He is soooo good at getting the puck off of guys and keeping it. A hard guy to play against. But probably better suited to stay in the bottom 6. A loss for the Jets for sure but we have the depth to be able to lose an Armia right now. A nice addition for your team though. Wishing Joel and the Habs well! Oh, and don't expect much from his interviews. He was the quietest guy on the team by far!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

He was 24 last season, has 1 full NHL season under his belt, and he followed the very normal and what I consider the preferred way to develop. In the AHL at 20 and 21, at 22 he splits time between the NHL and AHL, at age 23 he is in the NHL full time but injury costs him 30% of the season. At 24 he plays a full season and does well, 1 more pt and he would be tied for 7th among all Habs in points this year.

So nothing says he can't get better next year, he's gotten better every year he's been in the NHL, he put up 29 pts with a very low TOI, which is very likely to go up playing on a much worse team.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
He was 24 last season, has 1 full NHL season under his belt, and he followed the very normal and what I consider the preferred way to develop. In the AHL at 20 and 21, at 22 he splits time between the NHL and AHL, at age 23 he is in the NHL full time but injury costs him 30% of the season. At 24 he plays a full season and does well, 1 more pt and he would be tied for 7th among all Habs in points this year.

So nothing says he can't get better next year, he's gotten better every year he's been in the NHL, he put up 29 pts with a very low TOI, which is very likely to go up playing on a much worse team.

Getting more points for more ice time on a worse team doesn't mean he's a better player. It just means he's filling more minutes on a bad team. He's also going to have much less good centers and defenseman to support him in Montreal, while Montreal has plenty of equivalent winger talent to fill those minutes.

Him getting better isn't impossible, but he's been a North American pro for a long time now and he's getting to the age getting worse is as likely as getting better.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I like Armia a lot but I do agree what you see is probably what you get, although different usage might mean some untapped offensive upside.

He should be considered a 3rd liner. Not exactly what we need, but he's younger than the likes of Shaw, etc

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Getting more points for more ice time on a worse team doesn't mean he's a better player. It just means he's filling more minutes on a bad team. He's also going to have much less good centers and defenseman to support him in Montreal, while Montreal has plenty of equivalent winger talent to fill those minutes.

Him getting better isn't impossible, but he's been a North American pro for a long time now and he's getting to the age getting worse is as likely as getting better.

Or it could be he gets more points with a bigger role because he's continued to progress as he has each year so far. It will come down to his play, if he earns more ice time and produces. At 24 he played his first full season and did well, now we'll see how it goes for him at 25 with likely more ice time but much worse talent around him.

Reactions: HKbleu

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Or it could be he gets more points with a bigger role because he's continued to progress as he has each year so far. It will come down to his play, if he earns more ice time and produces. At 24 he played his first full season and did well, now we'll see how it goes for him at 25 with likely more ice time but much worse talent around him.
Think he is offensive enough to play on our second line?

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Jets fan here
Also sorry to see Armia go
Solid player on the 3rd line
Still has potential for top 6 player in my opinion
He almost never losses the battle for the puck along the boards
Excellent forechecker
I think the only knock against Armia is that he will score a bunch of goals and look like a 1st line player for few games then has many games when he has scoring chances but just can’t finish
If he can turn that around can be a top 6 for the Habs

Reactions: Adam Michaels

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
On watching sports for the last 35 years. It's rare to see a player making huge progress once he turns 26. It happens but they are exceptions. Id you have to bet you should bet that a player wont progress much after he turns 26.

Just have to look at context, Armia played his first full season in the NHL at 24, had limited TOI, and is going to a crappy team where he should have a higher TOI and more opportunities while being only 25 so nothing says he can't get better.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Just have to look at context, Armia played his first full season in the NHL at 24, had limited TOI, and is going to a crappy team where he should have a higher TOI and more opportunities while being only 25 so nothing says he can't get better.

There's a reason for that. When i talk about huge progress i'm not talking about going from a 20 points player to a 40 points players because your TOI increased. That could be seen as huge progress but in reality the player went from an average 3rd line player to a middle six forward. He's still not someone who should rely on to win.

By huge progress i talk about LeClair type of progress after leaving Montreal or Martin St Louis. It rarely happen.

BTW i like Armia and i believe he can become a big 2nd line winger. But i'm not seeing much more in him. Kind of player you want to have to win but you got to have the Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuneztsov and Oshie to let him do his things outside of the spotlight as the 5th or 6th forward at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad