Player Discussion Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Would have preferred multiple years but let’s see what we got instead.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Is he a UFA after the season? Really like Armia, I think there is major potential still and his size, playstyle, and rh shot are just what we needed.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We hope. We can't count our chickens before they hatch.

So far, Lehkonen hasn't proven he can be more than a 3rd liner and Armia hasn't proved he can be a 4th liner. Kotkaniemi, Ylonen, and Ikonen haven't proven they can be NHLers.
I never said anything about top line players

Having said that, I see 3 of those 5 players players in our top 6 in the very near future

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Good contract. I believe Julien is going to use him in a checking role with Plekanec. This allows to deploy Lehkonen more offensively. He was kind of sacrificed last year, because he also happens to be good on the other side of the puck. Having Armia alleviates this problem. If this is indeed the way they're gonna be used, I don't expect much offensive output from Armia.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Lehkonen has proven to be a Top-6 player. He had 18 goals in his rookie season and had 4 points in 6 playoff games. And even though he was held back by injury last year, the rate he was scoring towards the end of the year, he was Top-6.

Armia last year was a 3rd line player in Winnipeg. So he has proven to be more than a 4th liner.

They both still have more to prove, for sure. But I think Lehkonen's done enough to prove he's more than a 3rd liner and Armia more than a 4th liner.

Lehkonen had 18 goals and 28 points in his best season. Those are 3rd line numbers in today's NHL. He has the potential to be top 6, imo. But he hasn't gotten there yet.

As for Armia, who do you have him playing in the top 9 ahead of? If Pacioretty gets traded and a forward doesn't come back, is 12 goal, 29 point Armia ahead of 22 goal, 35 point Byron? Of should we move one of the young guys (Scherbak, Domi, Lehkonen, or Hudon) to the 4th line to make room for him?

Pacioretty Danault Domi
Scherbak Drouin Gallagher
Lehkonen Plekanec Hudon
Armia Byron/Shaw Deslauriers

Reactions: Be a Hab

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Lehkonen is still very young and has a much better shot , I think Lehkonen still has a lot to prove.

Lehkonen is just fairly weak with the puck, not a particularly good skater either for his size. He has all the karakter in the world but I just don't think he is ever going to have what it takes to be a legit top 6 forward. Armia on the other hand is a force when he's on. However, both need to find consistency.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Lehkonen is just fairly weak with the puck, not a particularly good skater either for his size. He has all the karakter in the world but I just don't think he is ever going to have what it takes to be a legit top 6 forward. Armia on the other hand is a force when he's on. However, both need to find consistency.

Say what you want about advanced stats but Lehkonen has been a very good possession driver in middle line usage and is good defensively. He still needs to prove a lot more to be penciled in the top 6 offensively, but at this point he still has more upside than Armia, although I like both of them.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
I got a chance to watch a lot of Jets games down the stretch last season. Armia will be a good pick up for us. Could see him spend some time on the second line covering for an injury, although he is best suited for the 3rd line.

Hopefully he shows what he can do and signs again next summer.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
I got a chance to watch a lot of Jets games down the stretch last season. Armia will be a good pick up for us. Could see him spend some time on the second line covering for an injury, although he is best suited for the 3rd line.

I watched all Jets games where Armia played. I think if he gets some quality line mates it could be his breakout year in Montreal.

He is so strong on the puck as you could see in that clip and a really smart player

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

I imagine next year we will be rolling 4 lines. I think the top 3 RWs are gonna be Gallagher, Armia, and Scherbak. It really just depends on mixing and matching in terms of who would play with who.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I wouldn’t be surprised if he could crack our top 6.
If he could: Domi-Drouin-Armia could be effective.

Domi is a good setup guy
Drouin should be able To finish
And Armia frees up space for the other two

That’s if he can crack the top 6

Otherwise Lehkonen-DLR-Armia

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I’m expecting a 20-20 season from Armia at a minimum. He’s damn good.

Aria can surprise, for sure, and getting plenty of ice time under Julien is a distinct possibility given his effort level and back-checking abilities.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I don't like the fact he will be a year to UFA status after this season, but there really was no choice here. It made sense to both sides to sign a one year show me deal.

We need Armia to show he is at least a very good 3rd liner because the team identity of speed and quickness is good and all, but we will hit a wall even in this " new " NHL if we ice " The Smurfs 2 ".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad