Player Discussion Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
We don't have a dire need to overpay for a 32/33 year old C that will only ruin our chances of drafting more top talent...

It's time to rip off the bandaid, this franchise needs an infusion of talent that no trade or free agent will resolve. Enough with the short sighted quick fixes. I'm of course not convinced that this team is heading in a good direction but this is a start I suppose.
I guess you're right.. The "need" is just an amplification of the fact that the worst GM in habs history is proving season after season that he is just too freakin incompetent to build a hockey team.

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
Haven't posted in a while because there was just nothing positive to talk about..

Not a spectacular trade, but at least a positive one. I've noticed Armia (for good reasons) in the games that I've watched Winnipeg play even though he was only playing on their bottom lines. He's a solid player, very good defensively and has untapped offensive potential (he actual has slick hands with good puck control - imo, he can produce much more than the #s he's posted in the NHL so far).

He has a big body and is very strong on the puck. Not overly physical but is built with a solid frame, kind of like Lars Eller. Talking about Eller, Armia is kind of like him in the way that he probably won't ever reach his ceiling as a former 1st rounder, but will still be a solid middle-six NHLer for years to come. He's the type of player that Claude Julien loves, I think he'll be a good fit and should be given more opportunities/ice-time than in Winnipeg.

Jul 6, 2016
Now, it's time to focus on some centermen....

Coyle ? Jenner ? RNH ? Jordan Staal ? Hertl ?

We could only dream about Thomas, Vilardi, Chityl or Borgstrom

I don't expect more than that.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
So what? They're not rivals, nor in our division let alone conference. We are not contenders and we have no need to sign Stastny given our current status. We did them a favor and they paid a price for it.

A small price. But then again, it fits in my understanding that cap space is grossly overrated around here.

And then, the big question is : can you really build a team by doing that kind of deal? Take on bad contracts for a few years, get a 4th and a nothing, 25 yo project? I just don't see how this is gonna help us going forward.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
A big RH winger, who can skate, score and play PK

God I must be dreaming and rooting for another team . NOT THE HABS

Last edited:
Reactions: bsl

Jul 6, 2016
A big RH winger, who can skate, score and play PK

God I must be dreaming and rooting for another dream. NOT THE HABS

Right on. It will allow some other guys to play top-six full-time eventually like Scherbak, Lehkonen, Hudon

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Supposing Drouin plays center, where does Armia rank in terms of wingers? Can he crack our top6 (I think like many others that he has some untapped offensive potential, but is he good enough for a top6 role)? Do we only use him on a 3rd line? We have so many players that you would expect to play on a 3rd line already.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
A small price. But then again, it fits in my understanding that cap space is grossly overrated around here.

And then, the big question is : can you really build a team by doing that kind of deal? Take on bad contracts for a few years, get a 4th and a nothing, 25 yo project? I just don't see how this is gonna help us going forward.
I think it's a fair and valid question to ask. I don't think Armia's age here is a problem by any means. If we project to be back in contention in three years (which could happen), Armia would only be 28 years old. The other alternative would be that we build him up this year by gifting him minutes and then trade him at the deadline for picks. This could help build the team. That last option could also be done with Rielly.

Reactions: 204hockey

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Supposing Drouin plays center, where does Armia rank in terms of wingers? Can he crack our top6 (I think like many others that he has some untapped offensive potential, but is he good enough for a top6 role)? Do we only use him on a 3rd line? We have so many players that you would expect to play on a 3rd line already.
It depends what they want to do with Scherbak. I don't think our players are awful enough to hurt Scherbak's game if he ends up on the third line. I can see Armia getting some PP time though with his handedness. He's more versatile than Gallagher & Shaw.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The problem isn't giving away Simon Bourque. He's a nothing player.

The problem is we gave Winnipeg some very much needed cap space. And for not much when you think about it.

so really no problem then. we gave nothing plus some money for a little something and a mid and late pick.

You won't build anything trading the likes of a nothing prospect that did little on your 3rd pairing in the AHL. The good news is they actually did something smart, used their financial muscle for a change to help the future. For a little cap space which is just wasted on us anyway, and a prospect that wasn't doing well in the AHL, we got what should be a solid 3rd liner and 2 picks. There's nothing to lose here.

Reactions: bsl and WinterLion

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
He improved quite a bit since last season:

Dg9DtIPUEAAnJLJ.jpg

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
He improved quite a bit since last season:

Dg9DtIPUEAAnJLJ.jpg
I doubt Armia is a 4th line player in Montreal like he was in Winnipeg. I don't know much about him, but 29 points with 21 coming at EV strenght playing less than 13 minutes is pretty good. Either you keep him as a mentor for our Finnish prospects or you play him in the top 6 to raise his value to trade him.

Reactions: bsl

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I didn't really notice him much in Winnipeg, but it's hard to make a judgement based on that considering that Winnipeg has an embarrassment of riches on the wing.

Based on the scouting reports from jets fans, he does sound alot like eller.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I would rather die than argue about a single line of smoke in my country.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I believe Armia always was a winger.

Armia has some skill and hands, should have had some top 6 talent but hasn't quite been able to put it all together. Still, he's a good 3rd line winger and importantly, he's amazing on the PK which is probably the greatest value he brings to a team.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Now, it's time to focus on some centermen....

Coyle ? Jenner ? RNH ? Jordan Staal ? Hertl ?

We could only dream about Thomas, Vilardi, Chityl or Borgstrom

I don't expect more than that.
Don’t worry , Pleks is the only centre coming to Montreal

Reactions: vokiel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad