Player Discussion Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think Byron-Kotkaniemi-Armia are playing solid...everything is there except the finish.

It will come eventually IMO, I wouldn't want to go touching the other lines and mix everything up.

After yesterday's game, they've earned more time together.

But, if they still can't finish, I wouldn't change the lines either. I'd put Hudon on the 3rd line and Armia on the 4th line.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Get used to seeing him. Seems to have found favor with CJ. Every team has this type of bland guy. Does everything decent, has some size and speed, but isn't great at anything and isn't a huge point producer.

Hes just the type of a guy a coach can trust so he will get playing time. Bottom 6 is where he belongs. He should be in the top 6.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
He should learn how to make a pass. Kotka deserves better than this shit.

Reactions: dralaf

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
He should learn how to make a pass. Kotka deserves better than this ****.

Maybe not for Kotka

"It's a great thing. I know Joel a little bit. It's great to get another Pori guy here. I'm very excited about that. We have many of the same friends," said the 17-year-old forward, who hadn't yet had a chance to connect with Armia once the deal was done. "He's a very skilled player. He's a big guy. I think he has some of the same [qualities] as Patrik Laine. He's a great player."

"I was like 10 years old and he was playing with Ässät in the SM-liiga. He was my biggest idol, so I watched him a lot," shared Kotkaniemi, who recalls watching Armia help Ässät win the Kanada-malja as SM-liiga playoff champions in 2012-13. "My dad was the assistant coach there, so I met him a few times."
While they don't train together during the offseason, Kotkaniemi is hoping to one day forge some serious on-ice chemistry with his fellow countryman.
"I think we will have a connection," said Kotkaniemi with a smile. "I hope so."

I don't think Kotka minds playing with fellow countrymen and his biggest idol.

Reactions: Vlad The Impaler

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Part of Joel getting loads of ice time might be that they are actually giving him a chance to get in going, something he hasn't had yet in BUF or WPG. It's easier to give him that opportunity when he's certainly not a liability, but getting the play to the O-Zone and keep it there. They are also making plays and getting chances, so they can be handed a bit more leash.

But it won't last forever and then it's back to shutdown and PK role's for Joel, if he can't up his game given this chance.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Part of Joel getting loads of ice time might be that they are actually giving him a chance to get in going, something he hasn't had yet in BUF or WPG. It's easier to give him that opportunity when he's certainly not a liability, but getting the play to the O-Zone and keep it there. They are also making plays and getting chances, so they can be handed a bit more leash.

But it won't last forever and then it's back to shutdown and PK role's for Joel, if he can't up his game given this chance.
Could be. He is a decent player but forces somebody like Schebak to the sidelines. Don't see much gain. We need a trade at some point.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
It's easy to give loads of icetime to player who are good at everything, and absolute elite at forechecking&puck retrieving. He creates and gets chances every game. Points will come, it's inevitable. He doesn't need to up his game.

But yeah, Habs should trade him soon. They need plugs like Scherbak on the lineup.

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
Armia is easily top 6 material, and its not even close. Good PK and PP player too. I'm huge Laine fan but as I have watch tons and tons of Jets hockey in last two years, and I dont usually talk about him but I see how good he is, Joel Armia.

I was following his liiga career but I thought his career basically got scrapped in buffalo. But he grinded in the AHL and came back to the NHL with very good defensive side in his game, and the offensive skillset just was always there.

He's really stuck it out through some tough times - I love his game now, and he always seems so happy to be on the ice. Incredibly talented with the puck, and his ability to strip pucks and protect the puck is damned good.

He's also money on breakaways, and has a very underrated shot. Very glad that Buffalo gave up on him - nothing like getting a player as a bit of a throw in that can play up and down the line-up, wherever he's needed.

Hey Joel Armia, you just played a great game, scored two goals and you were the best Jet what are your plans? Looks like I'll be getting to stay on the 4th line with "not good enough for the NHL anymore" Hendricks and stone hands Mathias, success has its rewards!

The closest thing to a top line chance was 2 years ago he had a game with Ehlers and Perreault at centre they had a great game.The team struggled the next game and Armia has not had a sniff since.Dano has had multiple opportunities I have been screaming for 2 years to give Army a chance yes he can be inconsistent but so are a lot of players his defensive game is strong enough to help any top line and when he gots hot you just enjoy the ride.

I sure hope this is the case. This Armia guy is hugely talented, and should be given way more ice time, so we'll see what he can do. I think the general sentiment of the fan base is they would like to see Joel a lot more --"very talented and very underrated guy."

The guy has been an absolute beast lately, probably my favourite player on the Jets this season.

I think he will hit 40 points this season, what do you guys think?

I'm glad to see the NHL is allowing Armia to use that "contact rubber cement" on his stick, because once the puck is on his stick, it never seems to get off, and he just controls the play with his puck possession.

I'm "very impressed" with this guy over the last 5-10 games, and he has a real knack for stealing the puck, and setting up plays. He's also great on the penalty kill. I think Joel is a beast, and should be a regular on the 3-rd line. He's had some great scoring chances lately, and they will start going in.

He's just to good not to be !!!!

I'd say 35-40 points if he continues in the 4th line / shutdown line role. The way he's playing recently, he should be getting 2-3 point games every now and then. Certainly, the most entertaining player at the moment.

He is truly one of my fave Jets...I hope the Jets retain him to mentor the 3 younger Finns playing on the team next year. (I’m likely a tad too optimistic on Vesalainen and Niku, but they will be there soon enough)

Bit of a side story....was at Jet’s practice a month or so ago and formal practice had ended. Armia and Copp were fooling around playing a game of keep away. It was mesmerizing watching Joel dangle him, turning him inside out....finally Andrew had seen enough and just tackled him. Was funny to see.

I love how Armia is playing. Whether it is on the 3b with Perreault and Hendricks or on 3a with Lowry and Copp he has been a really positive asset and is one of the reasons we are tough to match up against.

Man Armia has been playing so well lately. I am completely at peace when he is on the ice, he's a reassuring presence out there. He's also been right up there with Perreault and Ehlers in players I expect something to happen with everytime they are on the ice.

Loving his game, he better stay on that line when Lowry returns, CLA is very appealing.

I don't think the gap between Army and Fro is as large as some want to say.

Frolik was more consistent defensively, for sure.

Armia has more skill, size and potential. He also is excellent at takeaways (though he hasn't done it as much this year).

Is Armia as good as Frolik right now? Maybe, especially considering usage of the two. Frolik got a lot more minutes with a lot weaker forward group.

The one thing that makes me like Joel better is you feel like he is just about to take that next step and become a star. He's almost there. It will be up to him to set his limitations.

These quotes are from his thread on the Jets last season.
It shows you the opinion of majority of the jets fans.
I don't recall anyone questoning his offensive IQ.
If anything people were mad that his linemates couldn't capitalize the numerous chances he created for them.
Alltough he did get deserved critique that he somewhat rarely could capitalize his own chances.

He's not having as good start of the season that I expected.
But to say that he is deadweight on his line or that Kotka's production is dragged down because of Joel's low IQ is a major reach imo.
Ofc if Kotka would play in the firstline and got more pp minutes his production would propably go up(like pretty much anyones). Another thing is that has he earned it yet.
Anyway i'm fairly certain that Armia's game is only going to get better, and come christmas he's one of the most respected players on the habs.
When he gets hot he's one of the most entertaining players to watch, absolutely dominant.
If only he could be constantly on his A game.
If he will not take another step in the right direction this season(his production has gone up every year) I'll start to lose my hope that he will ever be anything else than a solid thirdliner.
Happy that he atleast get chance and minutes in montreal.

clarke19

Feb 1, 2008
I really don't get the hate for this guy. He's out of place on the powerplay but at even strength I've been impressed with his ability to win puck battles and his flashes of skill. Without him, Byron doesn't score on that play that everyone was raving about Kotkaniemi making along the boards against Ottawa. Check out like 2:56 of this video:

Evasiveness and a perfect pass to Byron. 3 points in 8 games on a line that is clearly snakebitten. 30pt pace with potential for more. Playing with an 18 y/o center who is still learning the league.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
We are winning games guys... Attack Alzner, leave Armia alone. He provides good protection for the young Kotkaniemi and yes, he is not an offensive machine.

and as you can read in my quotes above, Armia is JK's idol since he was 10 years old. You think JK is complaining about playing with his idol LOL. Letting JK become more comfortable in a new country at 18 is very important for the kid. I am sure having a fellow countryman and idol playing with you is helping the guy.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
It's easy to see why Armia gets so much ice time. A guy his size (6'4) that can skate like him and be responsible is very useful to this team. One of our only forwards with size that can win puck battles and shield the puck.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Ive been getting nothing but mixed reviews about Armia since the begining of the year, both on HF and in real life, i cant seem to find a general conensus, people either love him or hate him

personally i think hes a tremendous 3rd liner and exactly what kotka needs as we give him the 3rd line C role this year
However when armia was in the top 6, it was glaringly bad

Reactions: Habs Icing

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I wish they would bench him a few gams and give Schebak a chance

I want to see scherbak but armia isn't the one who deserves a benching.

I see alot of complaints about armia, but it mostly seems misdirected, as it relates to his usage. I think he's played fairly well TBH.

Reactions: Habs Icing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad