Player Discussion Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don't know if I see a hidden top 6er in there but I like his game. Flashes of real impressive skill every now and then. Would like to see more from him but not too shabby. I think Lehkonen eventually replaces him with Godka though.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I am not sure why he gets the negative flack that he does. He won’t put up many points but damn he is a good all around player

I see him as an elite 4th liner and pker. But given we dont have elite top line players, we need 3 lines that can score. And thus, imo, everyone in the top 9 should be capable of 40 to 50 points. That's why I want a guy like Hudon in the top 9 over Armia and Shaw. So glad Julien finally realized last year Shaw is better on the 4th line. I just hope he does the same with Armia. And I think Armia is much better than Shaw.

I also can't stand seeing either of them on theOP, let alone both, when there are better options. Armia is finally off the dirt unit. They got it right replacing him with Domi. Now , the second unit needs to be

Lehkonen in front of the net Gallagher style
Kotkaniemi in Domi's spot, right half wall
Hudon in Drouin's spot, right point
Byron in Tatar's spot, high slot
Reilly in Petry's spot, left point

And if Scherbak can get himself into the lineup he can help the 2nd unit, perhaps replacing Byron. But either way, there's no room for Shaw and Armia.

Not converting pp chances is the difference between wins and losses, as we saw last night.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I don't know if I see a hidden top 6er in there but I like his game. Flashes of real impressive skill every now and then. Would like to see more from him but not too shabby. I think Lehkonen eventually replaces him with Godka though.
The name “Godka” could stick :)

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

That's what everyone has been saying since he broke into the league. He has a skillset to drool over but way too rarely he gets to show that. He's a low IQ player who doesn't really know how to use his linemates and isn't very good at reading plays. That makes him rather useless on 5v5. Super fun to watch when he gets to show his skills though and a great PKer.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I am not sure why he gets the negative flack that he does. He won’t put up many points but damn he is a good all around player

Armia doesn't have a single point on the pp, even though he gets prime minutes.

It's not about giving negative flack to Armia, it's about giving it to the coaching staff who have him on the pp and playing with KK. I think KK has more offensively, and would have more points if he weren't playing with Armia. Armia made a great play on Byron's goal, but those are too few and far between. I hope Armia proves me wrong, but I'd have Byron with Lehkonen and Hudon with Drouin to create the most offense, and I think they could hold it down defensively.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

It seems there are some distorted expectations for him. He's one of those guys you like to have in your bottom 6, and he has the skill level and versatility to move up and down in the lineup.

My biggest knock against him is that he seems to be a slower skater than I thought, and he also plays a bit slower than I'd like. Overall though, I like him.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I've liked his play at even strength and on the PK, but he's looked pretty bad on the PP so far. If they're going to put him on the PP, he should be in front of the net.. otherwise he shouldn't be on it at all.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
That's what everyone has been saying since he broke into the league. He has a skillset to drool over but way too rarely he gets to show that. He's a low IQ player who doesn't really know how to use his linemates and isn't very good at reading plays. That makes him rather useless on 5v5. Super fun to watch when he gets to show his skills though and a great PKer.
That’s why he’s killing Kotka’s numbers, his IQ is much to low to play with The Eagle.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
He’s a winger Eller that cost us SFA

Took Larry til last season to figure out he needs to move the puck quicker, hopefully Armia does the same

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
That’s why he’s killing Kotka’s numbers, his IQ is much to low to play with The Eagle.
Lol. Kotka is killing his numbers by himself. Frustrating to watch Kotka shooting the puck to opponents legs while there are linemates wide open in the next wave, with actual shooting lane. And that has happened alot. Ppl are barking the wrong tree. There's nothing wrong with Armia's IQ. Infact it's one of the strenghts of his.

The negativity around Armia is so f***ing ridiculous. And all because the new golden kid doesn't produce point/game yet. As a Porian, i like them equally.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Lol. Kotka is killing his numbers by himself. Frustrating to watch Kotka shooting the puck to opponents legs while there are linemates wide open in the next wave, with actual shooting lane. And that has happened alot. Ppl are barking the wrong tree. There's nothing wrong with Armia's IQ. Infact it's one of the strenghts of his.

The negativity around Armia is so ****ing ridiculous. And all because the new golden kid doesn't produce point/game yet. As a Porian, i like them equally.
Armia is a 3rd/4th liner
Kotkaniemi is a 1st liner

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Armia is a 3rd/4th liner

Kotkaniemi is not a 1st liner yet. Armia is a middle 6 type guy and safe 3rd line type though. I agree with some of the concerns with playing more skilled players with Kotkaniemi but I also see what the Habs are doing by putting someone with size and strength to play with him... Armia fits.

Reactions: schnapshot

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So I guess the hate shouldn't go to him but his usage? How is a fine 3rd/4th liner ends up on the PP?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So I guess the hate shouldn't go to him but his usage? How is a fine 3rd/4th liner ends up on the PP?

For me, absolutely. He is what he is and gives a good effort. I have no hate for him, but his usage drives me nuts. He doesn't have a single point on the pp all season and the pp noticeably stands still when he's on it. It's good that he's off the 1st unit, but he shouldn't be on the 2nd unit either. Hudon is much better than him in that role. Also, I don't like that he's playing with Kotkaniemi, or at all in the top 9. Again, Hudon should be in the top 9 over Armia. Eventually, hopefully Scherbak can get his game to where he's not a defensive liability with turnover issues, and thus can also compete for a top 9 role.

So, I don't see a need to use Armia in the top 9. He's an elite 4th liner/PKer.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Kotkaniemi is not a 1st liner yet. Armia is a middle 6 type guy and safe 3rd line type though. I agree with some of the concerns with playing more skilled players with Kotkaniemi but I also see what the Habs are doing by putting someone with size and strength to play with him... Armia fits.

Armia is having hard time complementing Kotka's game because Kotka simply thinks the game in a completely different level. Skill is certainly not a concern for Armia.

Right handed shot...

Habs don't have to many

And a damn fine shot too. Too bad he never gets to use it.

Reactions: 417

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Armia is a 3rd/4th liner
Nice comeback argument
Armia was also Kotka’s idol when he was playing with Pori... they want to put him in an ideal situation where JK stays motivated playing with a fellow finn. I do agree he shouldn’t be on the PP though.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Armia was also Kotka’s idol when he was playing with Pori... they want to put him in an ideal situation where JK stays motivated playing with a fellow finn. I do agree he shouldn’t be on the PP though.

I'm not too sure about the PP. Who do you replace him with? Byron? I think I only agree if we had a deeper skilled rosters and someone that can shoot the puck. Arguably, Hudon and Lehkonen should not be on the PP as well.

First PP:
Tatar / Domi / Gallagher
Drouin / Petry

Second PP:
Lehkonen / Hudon / Armia
Reilly / Kotkaniemi

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland

That's something he's not, or at least wasn't when leaving to NA. I don't know if one can completely forget their strengths when they develop new ones or is it just that Armia can't convert his IQ to NA game (mostly do the same in a faster pace). He's never really had a chance to develop that skill in NA, because in Buffalo he was playing in the AHL (and their team was bad, if I've understood right) and when in WPG he had to transform into a very different role if he wanted to crack into the lineup.

I was hoping he would get a real shot this time (meaning 15-20 games in 1st or 2nd line with PP time) as I thought that MTL isn't competing yet. Maybe the success has made the management to re-evaluate things too?

Anyway, I understand very well that Armia hasn't really played into that potential he was thought to have, but I also want to remind that he was a very different player when he was winning the Liiga championship in Pori. And actually last season, WPG 4th line with Perreault-Hendricks-Armia was pretty golden. Easier matchups yes and Perreault was a biggest part of that success, but still. There is something in there, just hope for it to come out.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's something he's not, or at least wasn't when leaving to NA. I don't know if one can completely forget their strengths when they develop new ones or is it just that Armia can't convert his IQ to NA game (mostly do the same in a faster pace). He's never really had a chance to develop that skill in NA, because in Buffalo he was playing in the AHL (and their team was bad, if I've understood right) and when in WPG he had to transform into a very different role if he wanted to crack into the lineup.

I was hoping he would get a real shot this time (meaning 15-20 games in 1st or 2nd line with PP time) as I thought that MTL isn't competing yet. Maybe the success has made the management to re-evaluate things too?

Anyway, I understand very well that Armia hasn't really played into that potential he was thought to have, but I also want to remind that he was a very different player when he was winning the Liiga championship in Pori. And actually last season, WPG 4th line with Perreault-Hendricks-Armia was pretty golden. Easier matchups yes and Perreault was a biggest part of that success, but still. There is something in there, just hope for it to come out.
Opinions on Armia have been mixed...

I find he's been good and at times, very good.

Reactions: Garbox

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Adjusting to NHL speed changes a lot. I didn't follow Armia that much in Finland but it iis definitely possible that his lack of IQ (which I think is a problem for him) never got exposed in the slower tempo of Liiga.

Reactions: Garbox
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad