Player Discussion Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
And yet, the shot he aims with changes absolutely nothing to his ineptitude on the PP. Not my fault if this team was build with no right hand shot. But it's not because we have 1 that you have to use him since he sucks at it. Going all lefty is not ideal. But at least, you have a chance to ice a better lineup.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Adjusting to NHL speed changes a lot. I didn't follow Armia that much in Finland but it iis definitely possible that his lack of IQ (which I think is a problem for him) never got exposed in the slower tempo of Liiga.
Well, he was said to be quite sure to break into BUF lineup after his first training camp (I know I know, it was just the Sabers :laugh: ), but got injured in that last exhibition game. Some sources told that he didn't get to wait his wrist to heal completely, but was "forced" to play partly injured in that season. That's where something really happened. Was it his confidence or what, no one knows, but he went from the edge of breaking into opening night lineup to surviving in the AHL.

This is all history and he has to be evaluated by his present showings. But again I just wanted to bring this up (may have been told before, I haven't read the trade topic), because we all have our history and it's what makes us who we are. Armia has always been a silent and sorta shy guy, so that may have something to do with it also. But all this may also explain why he sometimes show glimpses of that old play of his.

I think I'll be taking part in discussions here throughout the season, so it might be time to find out if there's an "introduce yourself" thread here :D

Last edited:

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
And yet, the shot he aims with changes absolutely nothing to his ineptitude on the PP. Not my fault if this team was build with no right hand shot. But it's not because we have 1 that you have to use him since he sucks at it. Going all lefty is not ideal. But at least, you have a chance to ice a better lineup.
Wouldn't it be great if they could somehow dig his snipe back up for an every day use. He's show it a few times, but way too often ends up just chipping the puck into goalies chest. He would be that effective 3rd/4th liner and great PKer, but also a secret weapon in PP2. And yet he would never become too expensive I think.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wouldn't it be great if they could somehow dig his snipe back up for an every day use. He's show it a few times, but way too often ends up just chipping the puck into goalies chest. He would be that effective 3rd/4th liner and great PKer, but also a secret weapon in PP2. And yet he would never become too expensive I think.

If Armia gets criticized for shooting into the goalies chest, so should Lehkonen, Hudon, Domi and to some extent Danault. Although, Danault did pick the corner last Saturday. More the exception to the rule vs the rule in that case though.

I actually think Armia is a good middle 6 winger. He is too good for the 4th line IMO. Maybe he plays 4th line on a stacked team.

Reactions: Fixxer and Garbox

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
If Armia gets criticized for shooting into the goalies chest, so should Lehkonen, Hudon, Domi and to some extent Danault. Although, Danault did pick the corner last Saturday. More the exception to the rule vs the rule in that case though.

I actually think Armia is a good middle 6 winger. He is too good for the 4th line IMO. Maybe he plays 4th line on a stacked team.
When lehkonen came into the NHL he was shooting with much more velocity and was way more precise... i don’t know what happened... i don’t see much in him, he brings energy, reliable defensively... i don’t see him being more than a good 3rd line winger!

He took too much example on post-prime plekanec!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't watch any non Habs NHL games, and haven't for a few years. I remember liking Armia at the draft but so far I haven't been too impressed after reading all the hype on him over the summer. But it's 2 weeks or so weeks into the season and some players take longer to adjust to their new team so we'll see how it goes.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
I don't watch any non Habs NHL games, and haven't for a few years. I remember liking Armia at the draft but so far I haven't been too impressed after reading all the hype on him over the summer. But it's 2 weeks or so weeks into the season and some players take longer to adjust to their new team so we'll see how it goes.

Same here. I would definitely not put him on the pp and even less so in OT.

Reactions: Fixxer

BrendanGallagher11

Sep 18, 2013
Montreal
Lots complain
But hes been super consistent and hes amazing at takeaways

Probably gives kotkaniemi confidence being able to play and talk wit someone from his hometown
Perfect fit for him

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
He's gifted in so many facets of the game, but honestly, there's less than no finishing ability there... but he still creates a lot of offence through strong defensive play and maintaining possession. Really interesting player, I hope he can find some offensive consistency.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Personally I like Armia's game at even strength, he is a solid third line winger IMO, I like his size and puck skills, nothing great or flashy but effective puck possession type of player, he is a bit of the winger version of Lars Eller, limited offensive creativity but solid all over the ice... I like him much better than Hudon or Shaw...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He's gifted in so many facets of the game, but honestly, there's less than no finishing ability there... but he still creates a lot of offence through strong defensive play and maintaining possession. Really interesting player, I hope he can find some offensive consistency.

In his three prior years as an NHL player, he has not shown any ability to finish or to be a high-scoring threat. For those three years, he played on a much more offensive talented team.

If he couldn't do it before now, why would he suddenly develop that ability? Scoring can't be taught -- he is who he is. Of course, on the plus side he is his still at a young age. Perhaps adjusting our expectations about him is the only adjustment that needs to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 417

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Armia needs to be moved into Shaw's spot, with a more offensively gifted winger paired with Kotkaniemi. KK's passes are being wasted on Armia, but Joel's hockey IQ would mean no more stupid Shaw penalties putting the Habs on the PK. Trade Shaw for a bag of used pucks to anyone who will take him.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
If Armia had any finishing abilities he could have around 4-5 goals by now and Kotkaniemi would have more points. Its frustrating to watch because hes getting great chances and is the recipient of good passes but he just can't finish.

At some point Scherbak should be put on the Kotkaniemi line to see if he can be the trigger man on that line.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I like Kotkaniemi & Armia...

Armia is having issues finishing, but he does a lot of other things that makes that line successful or rather, allows that line to have a lot of Ozone ice time. He's great on the forecheck and at protecting the puck (which allows Kotka & Byron more room to operate).

The things he does go unnoticed & unappreciated IMO, but I think he's very useful to this team.

of course he's got certain holes in his game, if he could finish, he wouldn't of been available as a throw-in a trade.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I liked him in Winnipeg last year and he looked alright here early on getting used to a new team.

While the comments here are positive about last night, I didn't like much of his game. His passes are always off and he loses the puck too much. He looks good one shift then is a liability the next.

He was an idol for KK and maybe that's why he's still on his line. Maybe he'll get more consistent. I'm still on the fence about him.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If Armia had any finishing abilities he could have around 4-5 goals by now and Kotkaniemi would have more points. Its frustrating to watch because hes getting great chances and is the recipient of good passes but he just can't finish.

At some point Scherbak should be put on the Kotkaniemi line to see if he can be the trigger man on that line.
Scherbak might finish more than Armia would...but he also wouldn't be as successful retrieving the puck, forechecking, etc as Armia would.

So I don't think that's necessarily a match - furthermore, Scherbak is much more of a set up guy than a finisher.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Personally I like Armia's game at even strength, he is a solid third line winger IMO, I like his size and puck skills, nothing great or flashy but effective puck possession type of player, he is a bit of the winger version of Lars Eller, limited offensive creativity but solid all over the ice... I like him much better than Hudon or Shaw...
Bingo.

He is a winger version of Lars Eller.
I still miss Lars and I'm still incredibly mad we traded him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Scherbak might finish more than Armia would...but he also wouldn't be as successful retrieving the puck, forechecking, etc as Armia would.

So I don't think that's necessarily a match - furthermore, Scherbak is much more of a set up guy than a finisher.

But Byron and KK do that well on that line. They need a little offensive spark.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I like skill with skill. I think Scherbak and KK should at least be given a shot at some point. If Scherbak can't get it going with Kotka then it's likely he can't get it going with anyone.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Byron-Kotkaniemi-Armia are playing solid...everything is there except the finish.

It will come eventually IMO, I wouldn't want to go touching the other lines and mix everything up.

Agreed. They are getting their chances but fail to finish. Armia needs to stick with Kotkaniemi for a bit cause he is physically strong and it draws attention away from Kotkaniemi. I support managements strategy at the moment.

Reactions: 417
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad