News Article: Joe Veleno

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
All of this is to say that if we continue to play the game we are playing right now I think you have to give Veleno a long look at that 3rd line center spot. Ultimately he should push Niesen down the depth chart but you can't pencil him into that role next season. He's not gritttaaaayyyy enough to supplant Glendening or De la Rose at center but he's a solid two way player and ya gotta score goals to win games. We only have two guys who are locks to score 20 or more goals this season and it seems like half the fanbase wants to trade one of them away.

My issue with giving Veleno third line duties is pretty much the same problem that happened with him at the WJC. He's not a bottom-6 kind of player, he needs top-6 time, so I'd much rather have him get that at the GR than get botton-6 time with the Wings.

I can't remember exactly what we did with Larkin, but I'm pretty sure he was playing top-6 on the wing, which may be something to consider with Veleno if he makes the team. We need to start treating high end talent like high end talent, meaning give them a shot and see if they run with it or fail. This may be something to consider with Zadina as well.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
My issue with giving Veleno third line duties is pretty much the same problem that happened with him at the WJC. He's not a bottom-6 kind of player, he needs top-6 time, so I'd much rather have him get that at the GR than get botton-6 time with the Wings.

I can't remember exactly what we did with Larkin, but I'm pretty sure he was playing top-6 on the wing, which may be something to consider with Veleno if he makes the team. We need to start treating high end talent like high end talent, meaning give them a shot and see if they run with it or fail. This may be something to consider with Zadina as well.
Larkin was on Z's wing.

Unfortunately that's not an option with Veleno, but there might be a spot on the second line if Nyquist gets traded. Vanek isn't going to get re-signed, and Ras could get dropped to the third line.

Last edited:

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

The idea of a top and bottom six is a thing of the past imo. Depending on FA + the Draft, I think we can surround him with plenty of talent on the wings, even if it is on the third line.

Reactions: Jon Cusack

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
The idea of a top and bottom six is a thing of the past imo. Depending on FA + the Draft, I think we can surround him with plenty of talent on the wings, even if it is on the third line.
Yep agreed 100%, the top teams are rolling out 3 strong lines and maybe a defensively responsible 4th line that still has skill elements.

Reactions: mantha39

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Don’t put too much stock into a small tournament like that. Veleno is a very complete player.

Athana see you later

Feb 9, 2019
Don’t put too much stock into a small tournament like that. Veleno is a very complete player.
In an ideal situation, I think we should be moving to our top nine being offensive oriented, and keep our fourth line as a checking/defensive unit.
Larkin is a good 2 way pivot, and Veleno is advertised as a 200ft player as well. And if you look at a team like Tampa bay, they have three offensive speedy guys up the middle in Point, Stamkos, and Johnson I believe. The whole top 6 and bottom 6 is a bit outdated IMO.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
after the trade deadline festivities zadina probably gets a crack at playing a few games in the NHL. he will more than likely be up next year
He will play 3-4 games max. Both Mantha and Rasmussen were in better physical shape . Mantha first full year was at 21. Let's not rush them

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Well that was coming from Simon, Holland so its not hard to see its not the plan any way.
If I am any draftee not named Hughes, I pray to god DRW do not pick me. Because, if they do, I am likely to be in GR for 2 or 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad