News Article: Joe Veleno

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Or maybe just for playoffs, just like Larkin

Drumondville is going to go on a deep playoff run and are one of the favourites for the mem cup. He wont be playing in the playoffs for Grand Rapids this year and next year he'll either be starting the season there or in Detroit.

As of right now hes tied for the league ead in points per game at 1.86 and still 4th in total points despite playing 7-11 less games than the guys ahead of him because he left for the WJC. No way hes back in that league next year

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Or maybe just for playoffs, just like Larkin

He’s probably the least likely to make the team next year. There are at least three forwards that could be in front of him with no room for them anyway. He is nearly a lock for Grand Rapids next season barring a ton of injuries and him outplaying a lot of people in camp.

Reactions: lilidk

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I am a little surprised that Veleno has yet to sign a contract.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Still has a chance at taking over the league lead in scoring, even though he's missed roughly 10 games due to the World Juniors.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
kinda crazy if you break his 38 game season down into equal halves

first 19 games: 23 points
second 19 games: 50 points
At first I was thinking, "Wow, that's quite a streak. He'll cool down pretty soon here, but it's nice to see." But 19 games is a long time to play so far above your mean. This might be the new mean. I believe the kids, they call this "breaking out."

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This one going to be better than Hughes , 2020 draft probably going to be much better then 2019

I doubt it, I like this one quite a bit more.

But we will see. Bobby Mac said on one of his recent podcasts his feelings from talking to scouts is Hughes would go #1 if Lafrenière and Hughes were in the same draft. I also like the center depth in this years draft.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It will be interesting to see how he handles the next tier of competition, but the kid is definitely tearing it up in the here and now.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
My take on a kid like Veleno is confidence and momentum. The Wings need to give him a serious look for the major team just like they did with Larkin. I suppose we could give him a shot with the GR this upcoming year, but I don't mind giving him a shot with the big club, you never know with talented players like this sometimes.

Reactions: mantha39

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
My take on a kid like Veleno is confidence and momentum. The Wings need to give him a serious look for the major team just like they did with Larkin. I suppose we could give him a shot with the GR this upcoming year, but I don't mind giving him a shot with the big club, you never know with talented players like this sometimes.
While I've never once called for Blashill to be fired I have generally not been a fan. I do give him credit with how the team has adapted this year. I'm not sure how much is him - he has been very vet heavy in the past - or if the move to more youth is his decision. He was very big on Kindl in his first year and while Kindl wasn't exactly a green rookie one year out of his draft year it was something - despite the fact Kindl was flat out awful. So regardless of where the decision is coming from, giving Veleno a shot out of training camp would fit the overall direction of the team.

All of this is to say that if we continue to play the game we are playing right now I think you have to give Veleno a long look at that 3rd line center spot. Ultimately he should push Niesen down the depth chart but you can't pencil him into that role next season. He's not gritttaaaayyyy enough to supplant Glendening or De la Rose at center but he's a solid two way player and ya gotta score goals to win games. We only have two guys who are locks to score 20 or more goals this season and it seems like half the fanbase wants to trade one of them away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->