News Article: Joe Veleno

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
So because he was better than everybody else at a younger age makes what he is doing less impressive? That doesn't make any sense.

And yet, it wasn’t until he already played 200 games in the Q has he ever put up good numbers. Him having a year more experience is a major factor, along with his team having a dominate offense, to explain the massive jump in his numbers. Until he makes the jump to the AHL knowing if he found his offensive game, or if he’s just benefiting from his situation won’t be clear.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
And yet, it wasn’t until he already played 200 games in the Q has he ever put up good numbers. Him having a year more experience is a major factor, along with his team having a dominate offense, to explain the massive jump in his numbers. Until he makes the jump to the AHL knowing if he found his offensive game, or if he’s just benefiting from his situation won’t be clear.

Right, but it's a 2-way street. You're saying that maybe Veleno's impressive numbers are inflated because of Drummondville's potent offense. I could counter and say that maybe Drummondville's dominant offence is inflated based on Veleno's play.

Regardless, his numbers are extremely impressive any way you look at it. All I've heard for the last year is how Veleno will be a depth player at the NHL level, and doesn't have high-end offensive abilities. The way he is playing right now, with his production, I find it hard to believe he won't be an offensive producer in the NHL. Time will tell. It just seems like some people are hoping to see him fail, for whatever reason. I think he will be talked about as a steal of the draft 5 years from now. I'm almost more excited for him than Zadina at this point. Zadina has played below my expectations this year.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Right, but it's a 2-way street. You're saying that maybe Veleno's impressive numbers are inflated because of Drummondville's potent offense. I could counter and say that maybe Drummondville's dominant offence is inflated based on Veleno's play.

Regardless, his numbers are extremely impressive any way you look at it. All I've heard for the last year is how Veleno will be a depth player at the NHL level, and doesn't have high-end offensive abilities. The way he is playing right now, with his production, I find it hard to believe he won't be an offensive producer in the NHL. Time will tell. It just seems like some people are hoping to see him fail, for whatever reason. I think he will be talked about as a steal of the draft 5 years from now. I'm almost more excited for him than Zadina at this point. Zadina has played below my expectations this year.
Zadina is scoring at a pretty good clip at the AHL levels. His comparables for Ppg are high end players. As for Veleno, he’s a fourth year CHL player, a first round pick, on a high powered team, his numbers are good, but given the confluence of factors, anything less than this would be an issue.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
If we're talking numbers, his draft year numbers are better than pretty much all of the other CHL forwards at the top of that draft... after playing 107 games.

But I really don't get the "he has an extra year in the league" premise.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If we're talking numbers, his draft year numbers are better than pretty much all of the other CHL forwards at the top of that draft... after playing 107 games.

But I really don't get the "he has an extra year in the league" premise.

Especially when he's still only 19 right now. As far as I can tell he's the highest performer for 2000 birthdays, and most of the guys in the top20 are older. He might be in his fourth year, but he's not way more physically mature. He's not Rasmussen where his sheer size would give him an advantage. the guy's having a great year.

Reactions: The Zermanator

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Especially when he's still only 19 right now. As far as I can tell he's the highest performer for 2000 birthdays, and most of the guys in the top20 are older. He might be in his fourth year, but he's not way more physically mature. He's not Rasmussen where his sheer size would give him an advantage. the guy's having a great year.

Yeah, and I don't understand why being an exceptional status player who started a year early is somehow being used against him now. We're lucky to have him.

Reactions: AttilaTheFun

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Zadina is scoring at a pretty good clip at the AHL levels. His comparables for Ppg are high end players. As for Veleno, he’s a fourth year CHL player, a first round pick, on a high powered team, his numbers are good, but given the confluence of factors, anything less than this would be an issue.

William Nylander's 1st season in the AHL he put up .86 ppg (in 37 games), whereas Zadina is only putting up .66 ppg and is a -14 none-the-less.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I’m not saying he’s playing badly or anything, just urging caution before people call him a steal or pencil him in as a top 6 center.

I have very good feeling about our center core, if we can secure Dach/Cozens from that 2019 draft. I don't mind if Veleno is a Top6 center or a Top9 center, but the center core of Larkin-Dach/Cozens-Veleno would be absolutely great to build around. We already have the "Selke" guy as future Captain, and those others could fill the other skill slots to contender status.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I have very good feeling about our center core, if we can secure Dach/Cozens from that 2019 draft. I don't mind if Veleno is a Top6 center or a Top9 center, but the center core of Larkin-Dach/Cozens-Veleno would be absolutely great to build around. We already have the "Selke" guy as future Captain, and those others could fill the other skill slots to contender status.

Picking up another top6 center also helps cement AA and Rasmussen on the wings, giving us depth there. And the fact that those guys should be able to slide to the middle when necessary will be a nice bit of versatility.

Reactions: mantha39

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The production is nice to see and I really hope that he can keep it up. It probably isn't sufficient to project him as a top 6 NHL center based on the production, but it is probably necessary considering the dynamics of the Q. If nothing else you can't say he has taken a step backwards this season.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
The best way I know of to put it into perspective for a fan like myself who watches Detroit's prospects is that Veleno and Zadina both played last season in QMJHL and Zadina is about a month and a half older than Veleno. This was their PPG comparison...

2017/18 QMJHL PPG:
  • Zadina: 1.438
  • Veleno: 1.234
Maybe Veleno wouldn't be producing quite like Zadina is if he were in the AHL this season. Yet, he's probably everything you want and more from a pick at the end of the first round. It seemed to me that Veleno could have been picked earlier.

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The best way I know of to put it into perspective for a fan like myself who watches Detroit's prospects is that Veleno and Zadina both played last season in QMJHL and Zadina is about a month and a half older than Veleno. This was their PPG comparison...

2017/18 QMJHL PPG:
  • Zadina: 1.438
  • Veleno: 1.234
Maybe Veleno wouldn't be producing quite like Zadina is if he were in the AHL this season. Yet, he's probably everything you want and more from a pick at the end of the first round. It seemed to me that Veleno could have been picked earlier.

Still not a fair comparison, that was Velenos third season in the CHL and Zadinas first playing in North America. That factor alone is a major difference.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Still not a fair comparison, that was Velenos third season in the CHL and Zadinas first playing in North America. That factor alone is a major difference.

I actually think it was easier for Zadina to go from Extraliga to QMJHL than to go from QMJHL to AHL. The AHL is where his strength finally became a big focus for development, and I believe the combine hinted at that which finally led some NHL teams to pass on him.

If Veleno is more accustomed to the North American physical style game, then his transition to the AHL might not be as rough as Zadina's. Veleno's Q-league PPG is now 1.857. So, while ultimately his ceiling isn't expected to be as high as Zadina's, by the time he gets to the AHL, he may out-perform Zadina's first season at that level. Of course, doing so wouldn't mean Veleno will be the better player in the long run.

If they were both in the AHL this season, then Veleno may be close enough to make Zadina feel some competition. I think if you want to know how Veleno's current numbers would translate, that's about as solid as the perspective is going to get.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I actually think it was easier for Zadina to go from Extraliga to QMJHL than to go from QMJHL to AHL. The AHL is where his strength finally became a big focus for development, and I believe the combine hinted at that which finally led some NHL teams to pass on him.

If Veleno is more accustomed to the North American physical style game, then his transition to the AHL might not be as rough as Zadina's. Veleno's Q-league PPG is now 1.857. So, while ultimately his ceiling isn't expected to be as high as Zadina's, by the time he gets to the AHL, he may out-perform Zadina's first season at that level. Of course, doing so wouldn't mean Veleno will be the better player in the long run.

If they were both in the AHL this season, then Veleno may be close enough to make Zadina feel some competition. I think if you want to know how Veleno's current numbers would translate, that's about as solid as the perspective is going to get.

As I keep saying, the only way to know for sure is to see what Veleno does in GR next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad