News Article: Joe Veleno

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I feel like some of you want Larkin to get the C asap so he can have a reign of years captaining the team to rival Yzerman because it "feels cool" more than he deserves it. If he never wins a cup on Detroit would it have been worth it? I think you guys underestimate the burden/responsibility of wearing that C for the Wings.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He has to lead us to at least the playoffs/ 2nd round before giving him the captaincy. I have no problem leaving it vacant for 2-3 more years like Toronto has.

Or you could give the captaincy to the hometown kid who loves the franchise. Has given his blood, sweat, and tears to the franchise. Has grown to be the best player and emotional leader of the franchise. The only reason Toronto has had a vacancy is because they were built on shambles and brand new youth with no leadership tendencies. They didn't have a single player who could fill the role of leading their new core. Now they have brought Tavares in, Matthews has developed as a leadership character, they have the options this year. I expect Matthews gets the captaincy going into next year.

Larkin was drafted two years before Matthews and has clearly developed into what most people consider to be a promising 1C caliber player. I'd go as far to say that Larkin's value as a player, a leader, and a member of the Red Wings organization is more important than Matthews means to the Leafs.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Or you could give the captaincy to the hometown kid who loves the franchise. Has given his blood, sweat, and tears to the franchise. Has grown to be the best player and emotional leader of the franchise. The only reason Toronto has had a vacancy is because they were built on shambles and brand new youth with no leadership tendencies. They didn't have a single player who could fill the role of leading their new core. Now they have brought Tavares in, Matthews has developed as a leadership character, they have the options this year. I expect Matthews gets the captaincy going into next year.

Larkin was drafted two years before Matthews and has clearly developed into what most people consider to be a promising 1C caliber player. I'd go as far to say that Larkin's value as a player, a leader, and a member of the Red Wings organization is more important than Matthews means to the Leafs.
Stopped reading right there.:help:
(Saw the last paragraph)
Larkin is more valuable to Detroit than Matthews is to the leafs? A top 5 player in the world?! Larkin love-fest knows no bounds!!! Lol!!!!

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I feel like some of you want Larkin to get the C asap so he can have a reign of years captaining the team to rival Yzerman because it "feels cool" more than he deserves it. If he never wins a cup on Detroit would it have been worth it? I think you guys underestimate the burden/responsibility of wearing that C for the Wings.

I think you are just actively trying to be a contrarian because it makes you "feel cool". But let's continue with your plan, we can't name a captain until the Red Wings win the Stanley Cup again, because otherwise we can't be sure that it would be worth it.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
He has to lead us to at least the playoffs/ 2nd round before giving him the captaincy. I have no problem leaving it vacant for 2-3 more years like Toronto has.
With that logic we should let Edmonton fans they need to remove the ‘C’ from McDavid....

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I think you are just actively trying to be a contrarian because it makes you "feel cool". But let's continue with your plan, we can't name a captain until the Red Wings win the Stanley Cup again, because otherwise we can't be sure that it would be worth it.
I actually said until he leads them to the playoffs/ 2nd round but gross exaggerating fits your narrative better so cheers.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Stopped reading right there.:help:
(Saw the last paragraph)
Larkin is more valuable to Detroit than Matthews is to the leafs? A top 5 player in the world?! Larkin love-fest knows no bounds!!! Lol!!!!

Take Larkin off the Wings and what does the team look like? What about Matthews for the Leafs? I'm not getting into a debate over who is better, that is obvious, I am talking about who is more valuable.

You have zero practicality in any discussion you get into and it's getting borderline pathetic.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Take Larkin off the Wings and what does the team look like? What about Matthews for the Leafs? I'm not getting into a debate over who is better, that is obvious, I am talking about who is more valuable.

You have zero practicality in any discussion you get into and it's getting borderline pathetic.
Detroit almost has the worst record in the NHL. So if you take Larkin off Detroit we move down one spot! Your logic is very flawed just stop with the Matthews example it makes zero sense

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
Your username tells me you are impartial in this debate...
How about lead the team to the playoffs and not top 5 in the lottery? He is leading them to do what exactly?

Based on this logic, if this team never made the playoffs then nobody should become Captain! You want a hero, that is not all it takes to lead this team. Being a captain doesn't require you to make the team so good that they will make the playoffs based solely on your play alone. A LOT of that lies on ownership and the moves they make. Larkin has not lead this team to lottery picks. You really think this team would be in the playoffs with any other captain in the league? If you do then you're crazy. This team has a lot of things they need to fix.

Now don't get this twisted, there is really no rush to name a captain, however, Larkin deserves it the most. I think the way he has grown and began to play this season gives him the right to being the captain. Best player on the team, works the hardest, and makes those around him better. I would even argue that most, if not all of the players on the team believe this to be true.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I'll wait :)
It looks like he was captain of the Sabres too... and his hockeydb numbers are comparable to Larkin's. This was the "dead wings" era. So yeah if that's the bar we are setting them yes Larkin deserves to be the captain if we are committed to being terrible. So basically Hughes would then be our Yzerman...

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
It looks like he was captain of the Sabres too... and his hockeydb numbers are comparable to Larkin's. This was the "dead wings" era. So yeah if that's the bar we are setting them yes Larkin deserves to be the captain if we are committed to being terrible. So basically Hughes would then be our Yzerman...
The bar doesn't matter. You asked for something and I gave you an answer which proved you wrong. Time to move along.

Reactions: newfy

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Based on this logic, if this team never made the playoffs then nobody should become Captain! You want a hero, that is not all it takes to lead this team. Being a captain doesn't require you to make the team so good that they will make the playoffs based solely on your play alone. A LOT of that lies on ownership and the moves they make. Larkin has not lead this team to lottery picks. You really think this team would be in the playoffs with any other captain in the league? If you do then you're crazy. This team has a lot of things they need to fix.

Now don't get this twisted, there is really no rush to name a captain, however, Larkin deserves it the most. I think the way he has grown and began to play this season gives him the right to being the captain. Best player on the team, works the hardest, and makes those around him better. I would even argue that most, if not all of the players on the team believe this to be true.
My entire point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad