News Article: Joe Veleno

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If I am any draftee not named Hughes, I pray to god DRW do not pick me. Because, if they do, I am likely to be in GR for 2 or 3 years.

**** man, if anything I'm hoping the Wings DO pick me.

1) They're actually committing to younger players now
2) It quite literally can't get much worse than this if it can at all
3) It's still an O6 franchise with ownership that actually cares about the team.
4) There is already the makings of a decently strong core of prospects, so if I think I'm an elite level guy, I know I'll have support and if I'm not, I see Larkin taking a huge leap, AA taking a huge leap, and guys like Cholo and Hronek moving the puck well on the back end.
5) We still aren't so far removed from these young guys watching the Wings with Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg etc.

Lastly on my points, Detroit is not a place where players get ripped to shreds about stupid ****. Toronto? You've got to be a special type player to be a star there. Boston? New York? If you are at all sensitive to pressure from the media, those places are pressure cookers. Detroit isn't.

And if everyone else should not want Detroit to take them for this made up reason you came up with... why would Hughes be okay with it? Isn't Kakko supposed to be on Hughes's level as a prospect? Wouldn't Dylan Cozens and Kirby Dach think they are also? Why on Earth would they get a knot in their asses about starting in the minors and not Hughes?

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
**** man, if anything I'm hoping the Wings DO pick me.

1) They're actually committing to younger players now
2) It quite literally can't get much worse than this if it can at all
3) It's still an O6 franchise with ownership that actually cares about the team.
4) There is already the makings of a decently strong core of prospects, so if I think I'm an elite level guy, I know I'll have support and if I'm not, I see Larkin taking a huge leap, AA taking a huge leap, and guys like Cholo and Hronek moving the puck well on the back end.
5) We still aren't so far removed from these young guys watching the Wings with Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg etc.

Lastly on my points, Detroit is not a place where players get ripped to shreds about stupid ****. Toronto? You've got to be a special type player to be a star there. Boston? New York? If you are at all sensitive to pressure from the media, those places are pressure cookers. Detroit isn't.

And if everyone else should not want Detroit to take them for this made up reason you came up with... why would Hughes be okay with it? Isn't Kakko supposed to be on Hughes's level as a prospect? Wouldn't Dylan Cozens and Kirby Dach think they are also? Why on Earth would they get a knot in their asses about starting in the minors and not Hughes?

well, it just seems like the red wings over ripen their young players in GR. I may be wrong, though.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
well, it just seems like the red wings over ripen their young players in GR. I may be wrong, though.

in 2018-19 you are.
if it was pre 2017 you would be justified in making comments like that. The team has committed to a rebuild, all of the moves they've made over the last 2 years are clearly rebuilding moves.

Even talks of resigning Howard, Nyquist, and Jensen aren't terrible. these arent players like tootoo, samuelsson, and bert when they came back. these are guys playing the best hockey of their careers, and will still help for the next 3 or so years.

If Im a top prospect I honestly think I would have a real shot at making the team in less than 2 years. there are several opening on D in 2020, and forward pieces that become more movable around that time. + Larkin, AA, mantha, and Bert will be entering their prime around those years, so you can be a near finishing piece.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Veleno is an exciting prospect to watch. I really hope he's that good once he hits the NHL. Larkin, Veleno, Nielsen, Glendening isn't a bad center tandem to have.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

in 2018-19 you are.
if it was pre 2017 you would be justified in making comments like that. The team has committed to a rebuild, all of the moves they've made over the last 2 years are clearly rebuilding moves.

Even talks of resigning Howard, Nyquist, and Jensen aren't terrible. these arent players like tootoo, samuelsson, and bert when they came back. these are guys playing the best hockey of their careers, and will still help for the next 3 or so years.

If Im a top prospect I honestly think I would have a real shot at making the team in less than 2 years. there are several opening on D in 2020, and forward pieces that become more movable around that time. + Larkin, AA, mantha, and Bert will be entering their prime around those years, so you can be a near finishing piece.

Pre 2017 they didn't draft top 15. They didn't over ripen Larkin. They over ripen players that need it. For example Cholo wasn't NHL ready and BOOM he just comes out of nowhere at training camp. Meanwhile Brendan Smith was 'considered' over ripened, then eventually had a good training camp... and now is fumbling through his career.

So I don't really agree with word over-ripen since late picks need more development, which is development, not over ripen. Top 5 picks need less development. Look at Zadina who will play 9 NHL games at the young ripe age of 19. And probably 20/30 games next season as a 20 year old. This is uncharted territory since last time Detroit drafted top 5 (back in the 1990).

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I think the big ? here is who is in charge of the team, Kenny or Stevie? Right now is a exciting time to be a wings fan, good picks and maybe Stevie running a young team.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

If a player is clearly ready in Detroit, they play. If they aren't, they don't.

It's been like that for decades.

Mathieu Dandenault - Played at 19.
Keith Primeau - Played at 19
Jiri Fischer - Played at 19.
Dylan Larkin - Played at 19.
Martin Lapointe - couple games in 18 and 19 seasons, full time by 20.

And the four non-Larkin entries on this list were on FAR FAR better teams than we currently have.

Most of the time, the Wings were taking guys in the very late 1st or in the middle of the 2nd. Those are guys who need more time. If the Wings draft a guy who they deem NHL ready, he plays ASAP. And then you have guys like Lidstrom, Fedorov, Konstantinov, all the studs on the roster that never ever played in the AHL. Most of the guys that they "overripened" were guys who were just not very good NHL players. In fact, one guy who they kind of hot-rodded up here fell apart (Jurco).

Reactions: TheOtherOne

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I don't buy the idea that the red wings overripen their prospects. There are less than a handful of examples. Nyquist and Tatar maybe had an extra year in GR than necessary. Anyone else? I can't think of any.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't buy the idea that the red wings overripen their prospects. There are less than a handful of examples. Nyquist and Tatar maybe had an extra year in GR than necessary. Anyone else? I can't think of any.
They both end up very good. But I know so many examples when kids got hurt

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't think the Wings "overripen" their prospects as much as they simply don't rush them, if that makes sense. The worst franchises bring the kids up before they are ready because they are desperate. The Wings don't do that, they bring young players up when they are ready (in their opinion).

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think the big ? here is who is in charge of the team, Kenny or Stevie? Right now is a exciting time to be a wings fan, good picks and maybe Stevie running a young team.

Kenny is. He's keeping it flexible for Stevie Y so when he comes here he can make the moves he wants/needs.

If Nyquist, Howard or whoever get re-signed, I expect them to be short term deals or have work-around NTC that won't tie his hands. I think that is why Larkin hasn't been named Captain yet. They want Stevie to decide and name the Captain.

Reactions: Henkka

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
My issue with giving Veleno third line duties is pretty much the same problem that happened with him at the WJC. He's not a bottom-6 kind of player, he needs top-6 time, so I'd much rather have him get that at the GR than get botton-6 time with the Wings.

I can't remember exactly what we did with Larkin, but I'm pretty sure he was playing top-6 on the wing, which may be something to consider with Veleno if he makes the team. We need to start treating high end talent like high end talent, meaning give them a shot and see if they run with it or fail. This may be something to consider with Zadina as well.

Veleno didn’t get any legitimate duties in the WJC. He got like 7 minutes a game.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Kenny is. He's keeping it flexible for Stevie Y so when he comes here he can make the moves he wants/needs.

If Nyquist, Howard or whoever get re-signed, I expect them to be short term deals or have work-around NTC that won't tie his hands. I think that is why Larkin hasn't been named Captain yet. They want Stevie to decide and name the Captain.
Also because he hasn't earned the right to be the captain of a franchise like this. He has literally done nothing to have an honor like this yet...

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Also because he hasn't earned the right to be the captain of a franchise like this. He has literally done nothing to have an honor like this yet...

He embodies what the captain of this franchise has pretty much always been since Yzerman; he busts his ass, does whatever is needed of him, and drives the team. You and I have zero clue of what he's like behind closed doors, so we can't speak on that end, but on the ice there is quite literally nothing that would support the conclusion you are jumping to. What you actually implying is that the team is bad and hasn't won anything while Larkin has been around.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
He embodies what the captain of this franchise has pretty much always been since Yzerman; he busts his ass, does whatever is needed of him, and drives the team. You and I have zero clue of what he's like behind closed doors, so we can't speak on that end, but on the ice there is quite literally nothing that would support the conclusion you are jumping to. What you actually implying is that the team is bad and hasn't won anything while Larkin has been around.
I would add to this the willingness to play through injury and adversity. That was one of the biggest knocks on Federov.

Reactions: Adityase

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
And when you watch the team play, Larkin is constantly out there chatting with the other players. I can't say for sure what he's saying, but I suspect he's giving them assignments, advice and motivation- like a captain does. On the ice he seems like a big voice and I'd be surprised if that doesn't extend to the locker room.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
He has to lead us to at least the playoffs/ 2nd round before giving him the captaincy. I have no problem leaving it vacant for 2-3 more years like Toronto has.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
And when you watch the team play, Larkin is constantly out there chatting with the other players. I can't say for sure what he's saying, but I suspect he's giving them assignments, advice and motivation- like a captain does. On the ice he seems like a big voice and I'd be surprised if that doesn't extend to the locker room.
And we still suck and are losing every night. To become the captain you have to have RESULTS coupled with Motivation. If Larkin was from Russia Or Latvia would you guys be pushing for his captaincy this hard? I think the Michigan boy feel good story is pushing this hype train. No doubt he is a leader on the team and the best player but that's not good enough. When I think of Howe, Yzerman , Lidstrom and Z, Larkin isn't anywhere close to this class of players and unfortunately for him that's how he should be measured being considered for captain of an original 6 team.Detroit isn't Arizona Coyotes or Columbus.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
I think his odds of making the team next year go up exponentially if Glendening gets moved at the TDL.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
everyone knows you gotta win 5 cups and lead the league in scoring twice before you earn the right to be a captain

we should just not have one until then
How about lead the team to the playoffs and not top 5 in the lottery? He is leading them to do what exactly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->