Joe to Toronto done

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
You want to know what I feel? Relief.

I wish it had been Tampa or Boston (that'd have been a story), but I am glad he got to pick a team he felt gives him a better shot at the cup. I'd love to see Marleau traded there at the deadline, and they get a chance to win one together. I'm not totally convince this is there last year, but I'd bet it is.

Perhaps they'll tank this year, resulting in that first line forward we so desperately need, without having to carry the burden of Jumbo missing out. Next year, Sorensen and Dubnyk off the books, Leonard, Merkley, Chemelvski, and others simmer.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
I guess he has a house and plenty of friends in the San José area, too. Also, I don't know how many more NHL seasons he can play. If he doesn't get traded that's it for him regarding cup...at least for this season.

You’re also assuming other teams were interested.

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof
But Joe???????
You said you’d outlast Doug!
Joe:
upload_2020-10-16_16-28-56.gif

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
DW hasn't been doing the whole "we're a contending team, we intend to make the playoffs, etc." bit in a while. Maybe he (or Plattner) has changed his mind? Given the harsh realities of a flat cap and the inability to dump a big contract, DW may have looked at a short season with no fans in the stands and decided to do a 2015-style-refresh.

IIRC he was less-than-honest about his intentions in 2015...

hockeyfan55

Nov 24, 2009
Good, having to cater to a 3rd/4th line corpse was annoying as a fan to think of lines, let alone a coach/gm.
I'm surprised he didnt go to Dallas tbh

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I am not sure how conversations between Jumbo and DW went but I am guessing DW told Jumbo that his plan is go with the kids as is and not add in FA. I don't think its even about being a contender for the SC but even being a playoff team. For all the talk from DW about this being a playoff team, I think even he knows it is more of a shot in the dark this season.

Given that this was a really good year to buy FA's for cheaper (Toffoli, Dadonov, etc.) and he still did nothing, we may finally be getting a tank season. I bet he tried to move Vlasic and/or Jones as well but with the flat cap as well an attempt to tank, that would have made no sense.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Is our horrible GM going to explain what happened here or have the rest of his brain cells been suntanned?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Is our horrible GM going to explain what happened here or have the rest of his brain cells been suntanned?
I think what he has done (or not done) so far would make perfect sense if the fans were told they are tanking .. LOL. Well .. other than the Labanc contract.

If the words, 'this is a refresh/rebuild season' had been said, I would get it.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Are his parents/family located in or around Toronto? That may also have played a big role in this. He always seemed close with his family whenever they’d visit and do interviews together.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
as ive said before, if he was gonna leave the sharks i would have much preferred a WWF-style heel turn where he hits Marleau with a steel chair the day that Marleau would have broken the record

Too bad Detroit wasn't a great team or he could have turned heel and joined the New Wings Order.

Reactions: sharski

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I always liked Joe but that will end here. He lost a lot of credibility. Even if Wilson forced him out he could have done much better than Toronto. Makes no sense.

But could he? There are better teams than TOR, but it takes two to tango. Recall he didn't have a suitor at least year's TDL.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I hope he gets that cup he's chasing. Even if its in Toronto. I have too many good memories to hold it against him and I don't want that asterisk next to his name. I'm sad he's gone and wish him luck.

From a Sharks perspective this gives us a chance to transition away from his game and go with our younger players. Hopefully one of them can step up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad