Joe to Toronto done

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Wanted to troll Leafs lurkers with a full thread about it, but I’ll leave it to this post:

How sad of a franchise and how much of a group of losers do you have to be as an organization to literally be almost every player in the NHL’s favorite childhood team and still manage to go 53 years and the entirety of the modern era of the NHL and not be able to win a damn Stanley Cup? Like we’ve seen numerous players sign there strictly because they’re from around the epicenter of hockey and many take sweetheart deals to do so. What a bunch of losers the entirety of that bogus organization that calls themselves the Toronto Maple Leafs are.

That is all.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Are his parents/family located in or around Toronto? That may also have played a big role in this. He always seemed close with his family whenever they’d visit and do interviews together.

I imagine that's a factor.
Less pandemic travel logistics involved.
And maybe a break from CA red skies.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Wanted to troll Leafs lurkers with a full thread about it, but I’ll leave it to this post:

How sad of a franchise and how much of a group of losers do you have to be as an organization to literally be almost every player in the NHL’s favorite childhood team and still manage to go 53 years and the entirety of the modern era of the NHL and not be able to win a damn Stanley Cup? Like we’ve seen numerous players sign there strictly because they’re from around the epicenter of hockey and many take sweetheart deals to do so. What a bunch of losers the entirety of that bogus organization that calls themselves the Toronto Maple Leafs are.

That is all.
and you would cry like a baby if you see Jumbo lift the cup in said jersey. (or at least you should)

Reactions: Ginger Papa

coupe89

Jan 25, 2006
PEI
So after what 13 years he finally became a leaf. It must have been 13 years we have been hearing he was going to Toronto.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
and you would cry like a baby if you see Jumbo lift the cup in said jersey. (or at least you should)
We’d all be dead due to natural disasters and apocalypse before the Leafs win a Cup. The only Cup Jumbo is lifting in Toronto is the one nestling his rooster just in case he scores 4 goals.

Reactions: themelkman

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
One day I'm going to write about how important Jumbo was to me. He became my first sports idol after scoring 300 goals with him in NHL Hitz, he's the reason I became a Sharks fan, and his pass-first, head up style affected how I played hockey as a teenager.

Sad to see him leave, even more sad to see him wear the sweater of the most pathetic franchise in the league. This decision is as vexing as Hall pursuing a cup in Buffalo

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Leafs fan coming in peace. I’ve always been a fan of both Jumbo and the Sharks, he had an incredible career with you guys. I’m sure it’s mixed emotions for Sharks fans - I know it was weird for me to see old Sundin play for the Nucks!

Obviously at 41 he’s a shadow of his former self, but I’m still excited for his leadership, I think he’ll fit in well as a vet voice on a young team. We’ll treat him well, I hope! And hopefully it works out well for Joe playing a final year or two near family in southern Ontario.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Jumbo at this time can't carry weak linemates so he's gotta go somewhere with more depth.

My brain says this is fine but my heart says otherwise. I am interested to see how this team progresses with the new paradigm.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This move makes sense. I get it. I do.

But on the other hand

tenor.gif

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Leafs fan coming in peace. I’ve always been a fan of both Jumbo and the Sharks, he had an incredible career with you guys. I’m sure it’s mixed emotions for Sharks fans - I know it was weird for me to see old Sundin play for the Nucks!

Obviously at 41 he’s a shadow of his former self, but I’m still excited for his leadership, I think he’ll fit in well as a vet voice on a young team. We’ll treat him well, I hope! And hopefully it works out well for Joe playing a final year or two near family in southern Ontario.
We are pretty sad about it, and probably rag on the leafs a little too much. At the end of the day Jumbo winning cup>>>>>>Leafs losing, so I hope you guys do win.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

That is all.

My thoughts exactly. You literally can’t have it easier than that franchise does and they can’t even win a playoff series. Every player “wants to come play in Toronto”. Free agency is easy for them. Pretty simple for me, I love Jumbo and wanted so badly for him to win a cup but I can never cheer for Toronto.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don’t really care much that he’s playing somewhere else. He’s 41 and not that great anymore.

Wish he wouldn’t have signed with the Leafs though. I enjoy seeing them never win and I’d love to see him get a cup.

DrSteveBrule

cool guy
Jul 2, 2019
Feels so weird that Joe won’t be in teal next season. I wish he could’ve stayed, but after Nieto was signed I wasn’t sure if it was happening. Definitely wish him the best, it’s been great watching him for all these years. I’m legitimately kinda sad about it. I hope he signs with the Sharks to retire.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I don’t really care much that he’s playing somewhere else. He’s 41 and not that great anymore.

Wish he wouldn’t have signed with the Leafs though. I enjoy seeing them never win and I’d love to see him get a cup.

Bleedred! Miss you! Havent seen many of your posts so I may have missed some stuff youve said so I have one question for you im case I dont see you again:

Can Nabby save Dubynk and Jones next year or will they be one of the worst tandems in the NHL? Your prediction I guess.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
This got me in such a different way than Marleau or Pavelski leaving

When they left I was mad at them for signing elsewhere

When Jumbo left I was just sad to have lost him and am mad at the Maple Leafs for stealing him

I know I've advocated for moving on from both Thornton and Marleau this offseason, but I suppose the emotional fan in me wasn't actually ready for this

Reactions: Pavelski2112

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
While he made some mistakes I think DW put together a few teams capable of winning the cup. Other than lacing them up himself DW couldn't really do anymore.

What few teams were honestly cup winning quality?

Outside of 2015/16 Doug has never had a complete team. Its always missing something. Depth Scoring, or Defense, and now top end scoring. Sure any team could win the cup if they make the playoffs, but to let DW slide by pretending he could do not more is bogus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->