Joe to Toronto done

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
We don't even know that DW offered him a contract or if he basically said "it would be best if you didn't re-sign here" while he offered the contract.
I read an article the other day saying Wilson told him his spot in the line up was there if he wanted it. Wouldn't surprise me if he got to know Boughner's style more and wanted to play elsewhere.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Kellman is a 4C at best, Gambrell is awful, Suomela hasn't shown much (although I'd say he hasn't had much of an opportunity to succeed), and Handemark is a ?? I'd give a Handemark a shot.

I didn't say they were good options to play 3C...

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
We don't even know that DW offered him a contract or if he basically said "it would be best if you didn't re-sign here" while he offered the contract.
With the interviews Doug gave out this summer about the style of play, I feel like they were ready to move on from Jumbo and never gave him a serious offer.

Reactions: STL Shark

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Doug always says that Joe has a place there if he wants it. It's been that way for years. I'm sure that Joe just calls Doug, they pick a number, and he signs. I don't think it ever got more formal than that.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
This says a whole lot about the state of our team.

I’m not sure about that. I truly believe based on how DW jr drafted and how this team is being constructed that Boughner and Rocky want a faster lineup. I’d be willing to bet that if Deboer was still the coach that Jumbo would have re-signed in SJ.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

Yeah, I get the impression that DW does a good job in communicating the big picture plans for each player. As with Pavelski and Marleau, Thornton probably knew for a long time what his options were and DW gave him the space to make a choice.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I don't think Toronto is a Cup contender, but look at what just happened with Tampa - they got embarrassed the year before and rallied from it. Hell, it happened to the Sharks too after 2014 and 2015. Sometimes a loss like Toronto just had in the POs is what a team needs to wake up.
Ward, Martin and PDB were significant upgrades to that team over the previous season. I don't see the pickups so far for Toronto having as much of an impact, though I've been wrong before.

Tampa learned from their experience and added grit to their skill at the deadline. Guys like Goodrow and Coleman were perfect compliments to their all world skilled players. Brisebois using a bit of old fashioned camaraderie building helped and is something analytics, as good as they are, will never quantify.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
The funny thing is thornton is the perfect player to have for both those defensemen. They both love to roam the offensive zone to find soft spots on the ice to break down defenses. And we all know even at this age thornton is still one of the best at finding those open guys that nobody but thornton could find open.

To me it seemed like especially deboer tried to put square pegs into cirlcle holes when it came to those 3. Making all 3 less effective at what they do best.

Take the training wheels off burns/karlsson and would of been thornton till now. And those 3 would wreck havoc on teams.

Yeah I figured that would've been the best utilization of Thornton, even at age 41: get everyone moving end-to-end and let Joe find them in motion

But, either PDB or the organization seemed set on the hail mary stretch pass offense combined with heat map metrics.

Reactions: Sandisfan

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
With the interviews Doug gave out this summer about the style of play, I feel like they were ready to move on from Jumbo and never gave him a serious offer.

He signed for league minimum. Doug made it very clear they had a spot for him if he wanted it.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Sad to see him go, truly the end of an era, but we should have already moved on from him, and Marleau, about 2 years ago and started a rebuild. They would have had a better chance chasing cups elsewhere in that time.

DW needs to pack his shit too now that Thornton is gone and he failed to get a cup with one of the best players of his generation, and one of the best passers ever. If the Thornton era ends, so too should the DW era. Absolute BS he still has a job with us at this point.

Good luck Toronto, hope he has one more good year left in him.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
It's hard to see him go. Jumbo has been the face and the heart of Sharks Hockey for 15 years, and his loyalty, determination and sense of humor have defined the team's identity. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Jumbo more than anyone else has made this team as fun to root for as it's been for the past decade and a half, both on and off the ice. 15 years of giving it everything on the ice and an infectious love for the game and his teammates. I hope he gets the ring he's after this year; after everything he's done for the sport he deserves to have his name on the Cup.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
As tough as it is to see him go, I think in the end this is probably the best thing for the Sharks future. I don't think he wanted to chance not getting traded at the deadline like last season if the Sharks are out of it.

I also get the feeling he might have mentally made the decision that this is his last season, so he wants to give himself the best chance possible to lift the cup.

Reactions: SharksAddict

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He's probably just letting Patty have his moment this season with the record and is scratching off a bucket list item playing with Toronto. Wouldn't surprise me if he both plays next season and does so in San Jose.

Reactions: SharksAddict

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad