Joe to Toronto done

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I love Joe to pieces and I was shocked at first but, my thoughts are...

1. Leafs have a better chance of winning the cup, let him try and get it, at least.

2. Joe is a giant personality that eats the air out of the room. I think it’s time the team is turned over to the next generation of its players without the ever constant presence of Joe. This now has to become Karlsson’s team, Couture’s team, Hertl’s team and I’m not sure it fully could be with Joe.

I’m very sad to see him go but I do think it’s likely time. That said, who the hell is our 3rd line C?

Reactions: SharksAddict

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
When Joe was traded to the Sharks, I was really happy. He ushered in an era of consistently competitive hockey for the Sharks. He's the best player they've ever had. Unfortunately, in the last few years, due to injuries, and age, he's been hard to watch. For a player that always fell short of expectations, it was particularly frustrating to watch him still be counted on as a core piece at ages 38 and above, when he really couldn't meet those expectations. This is best for the Sharks as a team. They can finally move on from the Joe Thornton era. They can change the way they play, build around their younger, superior players at this point and finally find a new identity.

Someday he'll come back and retire a Shark and work for the team and everyone will celebrate him.

I will say that it's sad to see someone who so consistently said "I'm a Shark," show that his loyalty does in fact have limits.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Antti Suomela, Fredrik Händemark, Joel Kellman, or Dylan Gambrell...

Kellman is a 4C at best, Gambrell is awful, Suomela hasn't shown much (although I'd say he hasn't had much of an opportunity to succeed), and Handemark is a ?? I'd give a Handemark a shot.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
"I'm a Shark"

My ass.

Way to shit all over the last 15 years. At least Marleau did it for more money and term.

The rational side of me is fine with it and it's his choice where to play, but the top part will probably overpower that side too often. Wtf Joe!?

Now Wilson has absolutely 0 excuse not to try and upgrade 3C.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'd imagine a lot of it came down to DW having a discussion with Joe about moving on in terms of play-style. I think this was probably far more amicable than just Joe leaving for a contender.
Lol. He wouldn't have gone to Toronto if he wanted to contend.

Unless that contest is most dramatic 1st round exit.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't expecting this, but, not like he's a major loss to the team on the ice anymore.
This will either be good for the culture of the room to try to change the biggest voice in the room or even worse missing that big of a presence.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think the thing for me is signing with us meant if we sucked he could be traded to a contender. Toronto will squeak into the playoffs again and be out first round so Jumbo wont get the chance

Reactions: Erep and slocal

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
"I'm a Shark"

My ass.

Way to shit all over the last 15 years. At least Marleau did it for more money and term.

The rational side of me is fine with it and it's his choice where to play, but the top part will probably overpower that side too often. Wtf Joe!?

Now Wilson has absolutely 0 excuse not to try and upgrade 3C.
We don't even know that DW offered him a contract or if he basically said "it would be best if you didn't re-sign here" while he offered the contract.

Reactions: themelkman

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Lol. He wouldn't have gone to Toronto if he wanted to contend.

Unless that contest is most dramatic 1st round exit.

I don't think Toronto is a Cup contender, but look at what just happened with Tampa - they got embarrassed the year before and rallied from it. Hell, it happened to the Sharks too after 2014 and 2015. Sometimes a loss like Toronto just had in the POs is what a team needs to wake up.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Wasn't expecting this, but, not like he's a major loss to the team on the ice anymore.
This will either be good for the culture of the room to try to change the biggest voice in the room or even worse missing that big of a presence.
We dont have any voices to replace it. No one else has the presence he does with Pavelski gone.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
I love Joe to pieces and I was shocked at first but, my thoughts are...

1. Leafs have a better chance of winning the cup, let him try and get it, at least.

2. Joe is a giant personality that eats the air out of the room. I think it’s time the team is turned over to the next generation of its players without the ever constant presence of Joe. This now has to become Karlsson’s team, Couture’s team, Hertl’s team and I’m not sure it fully could be with Joe.

I’m very sad to see him go but I do think it’s likely time. That said, who the hell is our 3rd line C?

I think a side factor is that he'll also be closer to "hometown" home for a bit.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
We don't even know that DW offered him a contract or if he basically said "it would be best if you didn't re-sign here" while he offered the contract.

Highly doubt DW gave him the shaft but regardless, totally disagree with anyone questioning Joe’s loyalty. Dude wants a Cup, as well he should. And yeah Toronto isn’t an elite team but better chance than SJ.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad