Joe to Toronto done

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Did Joe take a full page ad out in the Merc like Marleau did when he signed with the Leafs? Or do we think if that is coming, it might come this week?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Wanted to troll Leafs lurkers with a full thread about it, but I’ll leave it to this post:

How sad of a franchise and how much of a group of losers do you have to be as an organization to literally be almost every player in the NHL’s favorite childhood team and still manage to go 53 years and the entirety of the modern era of the NHL and not be able to win a damn Stanley Cup? Like we’ve seen numerous players sign there strictly because they’re from around the epicenter of hockey and many take sweetheart deals to do so. What a bunch of losers the entirety of that bogus organization that calls themselves the Toronto Maple Leafs are.

That is all.
Your troll caught a big one this time.... :) Summary: Leaf fan defending Leafs :rolleyes: , calling the league a bunch of cry-babies :scared:, not blaming Wilson for the inability to take the Sharks over the top :(, and sharing the love for Joe Thornton :cheer:.

I don't think the reason players haven't been interested in Toronto comes from the Leafs organization itself. Toronto had Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts, Owen Nolan, Brian Leetch, Ed Belfour, Mats Sundin, Alexander Mogilny, etc... and what did the league do? They literately took their ball and went home. Left the Leafs with nothing and a Cap, so there's only so much over-paying they can to compensate for the worst tax rate in the league at 53.29%. San Jose also has it pretty bad at 52.2%. When you see players signing for a discount in Tampa Bay or Dallas, just remember... they can afford to do so AND end up with the same take-home. John Tavares for instance would take home more then $1.6 million with his contract in Tampa Bay. If Brett Burns is worth his current $6 million take-home, the difference is another $1.2 Doug Wilson might of had to work with just from one player. How close has San Jose gotten in recent years? Let's say you could take Roman Polak's salary add $3 million to that... think Wilson could of made the Sharks a better team in `15-16? If any American fans can appreciate how the tax-rates and non-parity hurts them, it should be Shark fans. Personally I think Thornton staying in San Jose would be doing the team a disservice making them hang on to something that's passed by. If we use Jason Spezza at 5-on-5, his rate of assists was higher then Erik Karlsson, his goal scoring rate was similar to Logan Couture. I think Thornton is going to have fun in Toronto whether they win a Cup or not. He's obviously not doing it for the money. Personally I was elated to see Tyler Bozak win the Cup. I cheer for Matt Martin and Leo Komarov even if Isle's fans are the worst. :) Keep on attacking Toronto... hell I can't stand most their fans either. But it would be disheartening to see you all turn on Thornton.

Reactions: jarr92

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Your troll caught a big one this time.... :) Summary: Leaf fan defending Leafs :rolleyes: , calling the league a bunch of cry-babies :scared:, not blaming Wilson for the inability to take the Sharks over the top :(, and sharing the love for Joe Thornton :cheer:.

I don't think the reason players haven't been interested in Toronto comes from the Leafs organization itself. Toronto had Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts, Owen Nolan, Brian Leetch, Ed Belfour, Mats Sundin, Alexander Mogilny, etc... and what did the league do? They literately took their ball and went home. Left the Leafs with nothing and a Cap, so there's only so much over-paying they can to compensate for the worst tax rate in the league at 53.29%. San Jose also has it pretty bad at 52.2%. When you see players signing for a discount in Tampa Bay or Dallas, just remember... they can afford to do so AND end up with the same take-home. John Tavares for instance would take home more then $1.6 million with his contract in Tampa Bay. If Brett Burns is worth his current $6 million take-home, the difference is another $1.2 Doug Wilson might of had to work with just from one player. How close has San Jose gotten in recent years? Let's say you could take Roman Polak's salary add $3 million to that... think Wilson could of made the Sharks a better team in `15-16? If any American fans can appreciate how the tax-rates and non-parity hurts them, it should be Shark fans. Personally I think Thornton staying in San Jose would be doing the team a disservice making them hang on to something that's passed by. If we use Jason Spezza at 5-on-5, his rate of assists was higher then Erik Karlsson, his goal scoring rate was similar to Logan Couture. I think Thornton is going to have fun in Toronto whether they win a Cup or not. He's obviously not doing it for the money. Personally I was elated to see Tyler Bozak win the Cup. I cheer for Matt Martin and Leo Komarov even if Isle's fans are the worst. :) Keep on attacking Toronto... hell I can't stand most their fans either. But it would be disheartening to see you all turn on Thornton.
You haven’t won a Cup in 53 years. This has nothing to do with Thornton going to Toronto or anything to do with SJ. These thoughts are all mutually exclusive of Thornton and were true before he signed and will be long after the mongrels of that fanbase run him out of town and attempt to discredit his HOF career.

It’s a loser franchise and has been for over 5 decades, despite all of the numerous built in advantages that the organization has. It takes a truly awful collection of coaches, management, and ownership to not be able to win literally anything in this long. Sure, San Jose hasn’t gotten over the hump yet, but they’ve done light years more than Toronto and still have another 25ish years to grab a Cup before they hit Leafs level of sucking.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
in terms of sentimental non-hockey reasons, almost as bad as loosing Nolan
Sort of unrelated but as a Nolan fan how do you feel about the original trade of Sandis Ozolinsh for Nolan? Oz was an amazing shark and was instrumental in the Avs cup.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
You haven’t won a Cup in 53 years. This has nothing to do with Thornton going to Toronto or anything to do with SJ. These thoughts are all mutually exclusive of Thornton and were true before he signed and will be long after the mongrels of that fanbase run him out of town and attempt to discredit his HOF career.

It’s a loser franchise and has been for over 5 decades, despite all of the numerous built in advantages that the organization has. It takes a truly awful collection of coaches, management, and ownership to not be able to win literally anything in this long. Sure, San Jose hasn’t gotten over the hump yet, but they’ve done light years more than Toronto and still have another 25ish years to grab a Cup before they hit Leafs level of sucking.
This is an unhealthy amount of saltiness.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I always root for you guys in the west maybe because I usedto be good friends with slocal, lady stanley and nem back in the old days(i think i still am who knows....they might hate me now after so many years of me vanishing...O_O:laugh::D if you guys read this hi! hope all is well with you ! ). It's bittersweet for me...honestly, don't know how to feel about this still. But hey, I always hope and think maybe it'll happen as it did with ray borque, and id wants that for any fan favourite player, I know I was rooting for Sundin and Kaberle when it happened for us.

I still hope you guys do well in the upcoming year and wilson can do something...it bums me out every year.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I always root for you guys in the west maybe because I usedto be good friends with slocal, lady stanley and nem back in the old days(i think i still am who knows....they might hate me now after so many years of me vanishing...O_O:laugh::D if you guys read this hi! hope all is well with you ! ). It's bittersweet for me...honestly, don't know how to feel about this still. But hey, I always hope and think maybe it'll happen as it did with ray borque, and id wants that for any fan favourite player, I know I was rooting for Sundin and Kaberle when it happened for us.

I still hope you guys do well in the upcoming year and wilson can do something...it bums me out every year.

No. I hate you now so take off that avatar I made.

0kRkKi.gif

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

The fact that Toronto hasn't even made the Cup final in 53 years is more amazing to me. The Sharks, Sens, Ducks, and Lightning have 7 SC final appearances combined since they joined the league and that's with being expansion teams where they weren't really going to be competitive at the start.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Jesus... their last cup was before I was born... that's f***ing pitiful. It's like you have to be trying to fail for that length of time.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Sort of unrelated but as a Nolan fan how do you feel about the original trade of Sandis Ozolinsh for Nolan? Oz was an amazing shark and was instrumental in the Avs cup.
It was an almost perfect hockey trade. Each team got what they wanted. Ozo was a train wreck defensively and the Sharks weren't good enough to cover for him. He makes Burns look like Lidstrom. Sharks needed a face of the franchise, electric player and Nolan was exactly that. Scored highlight reel goals, beat the shit out of everybody, and hit guys like he wanted them to be carried off the ice. He was a crowd pleaser and helped the Sharks turn around their struggling attendance. His first year was rough though. That team won every fight and lost most games.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
The fact that Toronto hasn't even made the Cup final in 53 years is more amazing to me. The Sharks, Sens, Ducks, and Lightning have 7 SC final appearances combined since they joined the league and that's with being expansion teams where they weren't really going to be competitive at the start.
its because we had an owner and ownership that didnt give a f*** until what? a couple of years back. People really can judge all they want but if you are a business student/sports history buff you will know the importance of a business owner that gives a flying f*** or crap or whatever you want to say instead of just money. There is a reason after the ownership changed and Leiwicke came over we started to change shit, not to mention also why people were dancing when our previous said owner died and people legit I shit you not danced on his grave. It's also why I am very hopeful about the current situation with the seatlle expansion team because I know the impact liewicke has had on us and how it sent a ripple effect in all of our 3 sports team, MLS champion, NBA champs, MLB decent success/retool and how the leafs actually have something good going now.

Just as anything in life, its very easy to take things you have for granted until you don't have that luxury anymore.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
My favorite team stole the two most important players in your favorite team's history but I can't help but take the bait cuz it hurt my fee-fees when you saided duh bad thing bout Leafs

This is a sure sign of a secure and stable individual with a strong sense of self awareness

Reactions: sjsharks92

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bleedred! Miss you! Havent seen many of your posts so I may have missed some stuff youve said so I have one question for you im case I dont see you again:

Can Nabby save Dubynk and Jones next year or will they be one of the worst tandems in the NHL? Your prediction I guess.
It’s hard to say. Dubnyk hasn’t been a terrible goalie, outside of last year and a couple isolated years early on his career, so he might not be a bad goalie next year. He may somewhat bounce back. Though he is 34 years old and his best days are likely behind him. He could somewhat bounce back and be an average or possibly above average goalie.

Jones has been bad for consecutive seasons now and I’m not sure what to do about him.

Depending on what the league average save percentage is in 2020-2021, Dubnyk can be anywhere from an .895% goalie to a .916% goalie or so. Probably a slim chance at a .920%, especially if he’s the starter.

I expect Jones to be a .905% guy at the very best. Although he could thrive in a backup role.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
At what point do we concede no "Thank you San Jose" gesture, like an ad in the Merc, is coming from Joe? Hasn't enough time passed by now?

And yes, I ask because it bothers me if no such gesture is coming, given he is Mr Franchise of the San Jose Sharks and means so much to the team, organization, and its fans.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It was a great trade for both teams. Ozolinsh was great in that cup run and Nolan was the Sharks first franchise player.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
At what point do we concede no "Thank you San Jose" gesture, like an ad in the Merc, is coming from Joe? Hasn't enough time passed by now?

And yes, I ask because it bothers me if no such gesture is coming, given he is Mr Franchise of the San Jose Sharks and means so much to the team, organization, and its fans.
I honestly can't go more than 4-5 words of those things without wanting to vomit. Joe knows what he meant to the fans and no amount of cliches will change the fact he's moved on.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I honestly can't go more than 4-5 words of those things without wanting to vomit. Joe knows what he meant to the fans and no amount of cliches will change the fact he's moved on.

That's fine that you can't stomach it, but many of us appreciate the gesture. Patty did it.

It surprises me Jumbo hasn't done it, and should surprise of all of us.

Reactions: Alwalys

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That's fine that you can't stomach it, but many of us appreciate the gesture. Patty did it.

It surprises me Jumbo hasn't done it, and should surprise of all of us.
The gesture is nice, but the action often makes the words feel hollow and forced. I hope Joe does do something for those who want it, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00