Joe Thornton all time leaders watch.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
BTW, is there anyone at all who doubts that when Thornton retires, the Sharks will be retiring his Jersey number along with him? If not immediately, then at a fan fest somewhere at the start of the following season, certainly.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
BTW, is there anyone at all who doubts that when Thornton retires, the Sharks will be retiring his Jersey number along with him? If not immediately, then at a fan fest somewhere at the start of the following season, certainly.

I'm not thoroughly convinced that this organization will ever retire a number but if they do, Thornton's the first.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach

Probably just him and Pinkfloyd for a long time.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I'm not thoroughly convinced that this organization will ever retire a number but if they do, Thornton's the first.

They definately will. But to this point there really is nobody worthy of a retired number that is already retired.

Marleau and thornton are both worthy if they leave the club on good terms.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
They definately will. But to this point there really is nobody worthy of a retired number that is already retired.

Marleau and thornton are both worthy if they leave the club on good terms.

Yah. I don't get how you can make a case for Jumbo not getting his jersey retired. The only thing you can use against him is that he has not won the cup ... yet.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
I can see marleau retiring at 38-39, while thornton staying on till 40-41.

I can see Thornton playing until he is 45. No reason why he can't. His style of play will keep him effective like it does with Jagr. He doesn't rely on speed.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
You never know. They could retire at the same time and have their numbers retired at the same time as well.

Since this has been brought up, have the Sharks ever made an official statement about jersey retirement or any related policies?

I vaguely remember reading something saying the org is more in favor of an "honoring" system, but I don't remember how long ago that was and I have nothing to corroborate it

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Since this has been brought up, have the Sharks ever made an official statement about jersey retirement or any related policies?

I vaguely remember reading something saying the org is more in favor of an "honoring" system, but I don't remember how long ago that was and I have nothing to corroborate it

I can see if it was said before 2005 that the organizations feelings/thoughts on the subject could have changed.

Also having 1 guaranteed hall of famer to play the majority of his career with the organization helps change that tone also. While having another player play his entire career (up to this point) who also could could be another hall of famer doesn't hurt either.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I don't remember anyone from the organization saying anything about it one way or the other but it's likely they don't feel anyone is deserving at this point. The closest right now is Nolan and Nabokov but standards for retirement may be higher than what those guys provided. I would like to believe that regardless of what the team accomplishes in the remaining time Marleau and Thornton have that they have met that standard but I don't know for sure.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
From LS link in Sharks News, this is quite impressive and sad.

From a numbers standpoint, the figures are simply staggering. When Thornton is on the ice during 5-on-5 situations for the Sharks they attempt 55.7 percent of the total shot attempts (Thornton is in the top-15 in the league in that category) and outscore their opponents by an absurd 56-22 margin (a goals for percentage of 71.7 percent that puts Thornton at the absolute top of the league). It is worth pointing out that he has spent a significant portion of his even-strength ice time this season with Joe Pavelski on his wing and Brent Burns playing defense. Pavelski and Burns are right behind Thornton in the points race and are having great seasons on their own. Together, they are one of the best trios in the league.

When Thornton is not on the ice at all this season the Sharks are simply getting crushed.

Without Thornton they are attempting just 49.3 percent of the total shot attempts during 5-on-5 play, a sign that they are spending way more time defending, while they have been outscored by a 93-73 margin in those minutes without him (a shockingly low goals for percentage of only 43.9 percent). That is a nearly seven percent drop in possession and an almost unbelievable 27.8 percent drop in goal differential. Those shot and goal numbers without Thornton on the ice are pretty much the equivalent of what the Edmonton Oilers do on a nightly basis.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...-joe-thornton-deserves-some-mvp-consideration

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Owen Nolan.

Is he really worthy though? He's not a hall of fame player. In his 8 seasons as a shark he barely averaged 50 points.

He might have been the best shark during his time here and a fan favorite but his career in my opinion is not worthy of having his number retired by the team.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Is he really worthy though? He's not a hall of fame player. In his 8 seasons as a shark he barely averaged 50 points.

He might have been the best shark during his time here and a fan favorite but his career in my opinion is not worthy of having his number retired by the team.

He was the heart and soul of the team at the time, and one of the best players we'd had on the team to that time, certainly. However, outside of that 1999-2000, he really wasn't among the league leaders in scoring, nor did the team get past the 2nd round of the playoffs. Also, he was only here for a few years, and played around 7 more years in the NHL after we traded him. So yeah, I don't think he'd qualify as someone who would be worthy of having their jersey retired.

Of any of the older players, only Nabokov might qualify, I think. He won the Calder, the team made the WCFs, and he played by far the bulk of his career here. I wouldn't have any quibbles at all if the Sharks did retire his jersey. That said, I don't know if he did QUITE enough. Especially since he had such bad numbers in most playoffs. (only 2 seasons at or above league average goaltending for that year's playoffs).

I don't think there's any question but that Thornton, and probably even Marleau, would qualify. Both of them have played at a very high level, especially Thornton, obviously. I mean, he's going to be a 1st ballot Hall of Famer, regardless of if he gets a cup or not. Marleau probably will be in the HOF eventually, given his career, but he might not make it if the Sharks don't get a cup. Still, HOFers or potential HOFers that have played all or most of their careers here should qualify for jersey retirement, if anyone does.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I don't think there's any question but that Thornton, and probably even Marleau, would qualify. Both of them have played at a very high level, especially Thornton, obviously. I mean, he's going to be a 1st ballot Hall of Famer, regardless of if he gets a cup or not. Marleau probably will be in the HOF eventually, given his career, but he might not make it if the Sharks don't get a cup. Still, HOFers or potential HOFers that have played all or most of their careers here should qualify for jersey retirement, if anyone does.

Marleau...what does he really have over Nolan, except longevity? Neither player has any hardware (no one even comes close, save Nolan's distant second to Bure in 2000). Marleau has enjoyed more team success, but with vastly greater support, and only once as *the* premier player on the team.

And for all those extra years and modestly greater team success might get him, Nolan has the intangibles over Marleau. From '96 to that fateful day in '03, Owen Nolan *was* the Sharks, much like Joe Thornton:Sharks from mid-2006 to today. Marleau held that title in San Jose for maybe a year.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
He was the heart and soul of the team at the time, and one of the best players we'd had on the team to that time, certainly. However, outside of that 1999-2000, he really wasn't among the league leaders in scoring, nor did the team get past the 2nd round of the playoffs. Also, he was only here for a few years, and played around 7 more years in the NHL after we traded him. So yeah, I don't think he'd qualify as someone who would be worthy of having their jersey retired.

Of any of the older players, only Nabokov might qualify, I think. He won the Calder, the team made the WCFs, and he played by far the bulk of his career here. I wouldn't have any quibbles at all if the Sharks did retire his jersey. That said, I don't know if he did QUITE enough. Especially since he had such bad numbers in most playoffs. (only 2 seasons at or above league average goaltending for that year's playoffs).

Both Thornton and Marleau should definitely get their numbers retired, but Marleau is not a Hall of Famer in my mind.

As for the thread, Thornton broke a tie with Pierre Turgeon. He is now in sole possession of 31st on the all-time points list.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Marleau...what does he really have over Nolan, except longevity? Neither player has any hardware (no one even comes close, save Nolan's distant second to Bure in 2000). Marleau has enjoyed more team success, but with vastly greater support, and only once as *the* premier player on the team.

And for all those extra years and modestly greater team success might get him, Nolan has the intangibles over Marleau. From '96 to that fateful day in '03, Owen Nolan *was* the Sharks, much like Joe Thornton:Sharks from mid-2006 to today. Marleau held that title in San Jose for maybe a year.

Longevity matters. He's libel to end up top ten, maybe five in all time games played and will have over 500 goals and 1,000 points. He won't be confused with the greatest this game has had but he'll have a good case to get into the hall especially if they're all with San Jose. He's already top ten in games played with one team.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Thornton needs 11 more points to move up 3 more spots on the all time points leaders.

And 4 more assists to move up 1 more spot on the assist leaders.

If thornton keeps this type of points up next year he will be hitting 1000 assists next season.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Just wondering. Does any one know who holds the record for oldest player to finish a season at a point per game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad