Joe Thornton all time leaders watch.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Funny how a player can produce even more when the TEAM around him is also playing well. Sharks haven't had this kind of forward depth in years, and that combined with Thornton's typically steady play is leading to big numbers for him this season.

I see it as the other way around. When Thornton is smashing the way ahead (and Burns doing it on defense) it lets the rest of the team breathe.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I see it as the other way around. When Thornton is smashing the way ahead (and Burns doing it on defense) it lets the rest of the team breathe.

The two aren't mutually exclusive (Thornton playing well and the team playing well), but the playoffs have typically shown what happens when everyone around him goes cold. Teams start to focus on him more, and his numbers subsequently go down.

Last edited:

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
Compare his point production rate over the last month with November when the entire Sharks' offense was dump-and-chase. Add in 4 more games vs Vancouver.

Team depth + health = Thornton hits 32nd (Perreault) and 14th (Recchi) by the end of March.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Compare his point production rate over the last month with November when the entire Sharks' offense was dump-and-chase. Add in 4 more games vs Vancouver.

Team depth + health = Thornton hits 32nd (Perreault) and 14th (Recchi) by the end of March.

I think he will blow by those by the end of march. In march the sharks have 16 games. His point production can literally drop by a point and a half from his past 5 games. And by half a point from his past 40 games.

He needs 10 assists in 16 games to do the assists. Even over the hill declining thornton can do that.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I really hope Thornton resigns at like 4.5-5 million after his contract is up after next season. Give the Sharks a little wiggle room in terms of salary, and maybe we can get an Andreychuk like cup from him when he's 40. That's what I'm hoping for at least, unless the Sharks go on a miracle run this year/ next year. Who knows, but I'm not for trading Thornton anymore. Perhaps Marleau, but if he can resign for some low money, I'd be happy with that too.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I really hope Thornton resigns at like 4.5-5 million after his contract is up after next season. Give the Sharks a little wiggle room in terms of salary, and maybe we can get an Andreychuk like cup from him when he's 40. That's what I'm hoping for at least, unless the Sharks go on a miracle run this year/ next year. Who knows, but I'm not for trading Thornton anymore. Perhaps Marleau, but if he can resign for some low money, I'd be happy with that too.

I can see him dropping to 6 mil at the lowest. Question will be if this will be the contract that the three year terms go by the wayside.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think the only way Jumbo re-signs here is if we give him a 3 year deal. If he can produce upwards of 70 points next year (which is hard to imagine that he does not), he will easily get upwards of 6M on a short term deal in the open market. I get the feeling that he is the kind of player who will give us a home town discount because he wants to stick around in SJ and retire here. I am hoping 4.5M x 3. But that is all assuming that the issues between him and DW are ironed out.

To me Patty is more risky of a player to re-sign. I would not be opposed to signing him but I do not want to give him more than 3M x 2. I think he will still be an effective 3rd liner in the next couple of years in a shutdown role while chipping in 30-40 points.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
honestly, he's earned a spot on the World Cup team. Won't make it, but he's been the best player in the world the last 3 months.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I can see him dropping to 6 mil at the lowest. Question will be if this will be the contract that the three year terms go by the wayside.

I see this for Joe and Patty

I can't imagine them taking less money than Logan and Pavs

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I see this for Joe and Patty

I can't imagine them taking less money than Logan and Pavs

I can see Marleau re-signing for less just because his numbers no longer compare to Pavs and Couture. He's also historically slid just underneath Thornton's cap number.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
honestly, he's earned a spot on the World Cup team. Won't make it, but he's been the best player in the world the last 3 months.

It would be scary to put him with two legit best in the world snipers right now the way he is playing. Too bad he probably won't make it.

I don't think I want to see a three year deal at his age.

I think he's going to be one of those players that can play into his 40's if he wants to. He easily has 3 years left in him.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The two aren't mutually exclusive (Thornton playing well and the team playing well), but the playoffs have typically shown what happens when everyone around him goes cold. Teams start to focus on him more, and his numbers subsequently go down.

I still see it the otherway down. Thornton goes cold, and the rest of the team follows.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
That would be one hell of a mental hold he has on the other nine forwards who aren't on his line. :laugh:

Well, I think he drags his entire line down. And that lets the other team focus resources on the other lines. There is also an element, and this isn't completely JT's fault, where the team is waiting for Thornton/Marleau to save the day. Part of that is the way JT has been billed by the organization, a position JT accepts and embraces.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Well, I think he drags his entire line down. And that lets the other team focus resources on the other lines. There is also an element, and this isn't completely JT's fault, where the team is waiting for Thornton/Marleau to save the day. Part of that is the way JT has been billed by the organization, a position JT accepts and embraces.

This was evident on the earlier sharks teams with thornton on the team.

I don't know how many times i would see thornton being double teamed to make the pass to the point or another forward that was open only for that player just to pass it back to thornton still in the double team.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
I was brought here before Joe Thornton. Instead, I think it's more apt to say that I am to this board what the masses think Patrick Marleau is to the sharks: someone whow underperforms relative to their talent because they coast on their reputation and past outputs, and then fails to deliver any meaningful returns in the playoffs.

Mind=blown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad