Joe Thornton all time leaders watch.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
As he sits right now with 32 games left in the season thornton has 1301 points which is good for 34th all time.

And he also has 933 assists which is good for 15th all time (1 assist away from 14th).

Where does every one see him climbing up to before seasons end?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/goals_career.html
All-time goal leaders

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/assists_career.html
All-time assist leaders

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/points_career.html
All-time point leaders

For goals, I could see him scoring maybe five more, which would put him 114th all-time (he'd pass former Shark Dany Heatley if he did that). For assists, he needs 24 in 32 games to get to 14th all-time. He needs 27 points to get to sole possession of 31st all-time in points.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The one most are watching is Jagr who is a couple goals shy of displacing Brett Hull as #3 in the all time goal scorer position.

I see Thornton nipping at Doug Gilmour's heels in assists at the end of the season, probably surpassing him if the Sharks have a good playoff run.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The one most are watching is Jagr who is a couple goals shy of displacing Brett Hull as #3 in the all time goal scorer position.

I see Thornton nipping at Doug Gilmour's heels in assists at the end of the season, probably surpassing him if the Sharks have a good playoff run.

Points don't count in the playoffs for all time leaders.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Do you even like the Sharks?

We've been through this: nobody here likes the sharks. This whole board is just an elaborate charade/astroturfing campaign by Gary Bettman so he can prop up his southern expansion projects and twirl his snidely whiplash-esque moustache at Quebec City and Hamilton and a 2nd Toronto market because there just isn't room for more Canadian markets as long as we have solid foundations in Florida and California.

Then he goes to the evil sports commissioners lounge, grabs a snifter of brandy, and high fives Bud Selig, David Stern, and Roger Goodell for his work on successfully crippling pro hockey from the inside in order to make more market space for the NFL, NBA, and MLB.

Doesn't everyone know this? I thought it was pretty obvious.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We've been through this: nobody here likes the sharks. This whole board is just an elaborate charade/astroturfing campaign by Gary Bettman so he can prop up his southern expansion projects and twirl his snidely whiplash-esque moustache at Quebec City and Hamilton and a 2nd Toronto market because there just isn't room for more Canadian markets as long as we have solid foundations in Florida and California.

Then he goes to the evil sports commissioners lounge, grabs a snifter of brandy, and high fives Bud Selig, David Stern, and Roger Goodell for his work on successfully crippling pro hockey from the inside in order to make more market space for the NFL, NBA, and MLB.

Doesn't everyone know this? I thought it was pretty obvious.

Your take is irrelevant when you miss Joe Thornton goals and fail to do what you were brought here to do.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Your take is irrelevant when you miss Joe Thornton goals and fail to do what you were brought here to do.

I was brought here before Joe Thornton. Instead, I think it's more apt to say that I am to this board what the masses think Patrick Marleau is to the sharks: someone whow underperforms relative to their talent because they coast on their reputation and past outputs, and then fails to deliver any meaningful returns in the playoffs.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I was brought here before Joe Thornton. Instead, I think it's more apt to say that I am to this board what the masses think Patrick Marleau is to the sharks: someone whow underperforms relative to their talent because they coast on their reputation and past outputs, and then fails to deliver any meaningful returns in the playoffs.

You son of a *****. lol

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Goal and assist tonight moved thornton into 14th all time in assists ahead of al mccinis (sp).

And 19 points shy of 32nd for points.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Thornton has turned back to his expected forum and is collecting points and assists at a much faster rate now. If he sustains this, he can edge out Perrault and Turgeon and end up with the #31 all-time list for points at the end of the season.

On the assists side, it's going to be tougher for Thornton to over take the next guy up, Recchi at #14.

So I will predict #31 on the all-time leader list for points, and tie Recchi for #14. Early next year, he'll easily surpass all of these guys I've mentioned.

Jagr, of course, did surpass Hull and is now #3 in the all-time goal list. There's quite a gap to the #2 guy, Howe. That might be, and probably will be too large of a gap for Jagr to overcome in his career. I don't expect anyone to displace Gretzky until some rules changes for scoring is implemented. Gretzky had three things going in his favor... goal tender equipment was not inflated to obscene levels as they are today, his time was before dead puck era I and II, and the league employed thugs to do the hitting and take the hitting.

In fact, Gretzky's main thug, McSorley, is one of the top leaders of all-time in career PIM. Players today are bigger, faster, and expected to participate more in hits/checks. Thugs and fighting was one of the worst things the NHL did back then that stunted it's growth. Sure there are fans who paid to come out as see the thuggery and fights, but there are far less numerous that the fans who wanted to see pure hockey without the fights. Most of us grew up playing hockey with fighting being illegal, and checking curtailed extensively.

If the size of goal tender padding was frozen to, let's say 1984, I believe that guys like Jagr and Ovechkin would have a real shot at displacing Gretzky on the all-time goal list.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Thornton has turned back to his expected forum and is collecting points and assists at a much faster rate now. If he sustains this, he can edge out Perrault and Turgeon and end up with the #31 all-time list for points at the end of the season.

On the assists side, it's going to be tougher for Thornton to over take the next guy up, Recchi at #14.

So I will predict #31 on the all-time leader list for points, and tie Recchi for #14. Early next year, he'll easily surpass all of these guys I've mentioned.

Jagr, of course, did surpass Hull and is now #3 in the all-time goal list. There's quite a gap to the #2 guy, Howe. That might be, and probably will be too large of a gap for Jagr to overcome in his career. I don't expect anyone to displace Gretzky until some rules changes for scoring is implemented. Gretzky had three things going in his favor... goal tender equipment was not inflated to obscene levels as they are today, his time was before dead puck era I and II, and the league employed thugs to do the hitting and take the hitting.

In fact, Gretzky's main thug, McSorley, is one of the top leaders of all-time in career PIM. Players today are bigger, faster, and expected to participate more in hits/checks. Thugs and fighting was one of the worst things the NHL did back then that stunted it's growth. Sure there are fans who paid to come out as see the thuggery and fights, but there are far less numerous that the fans who wanted to see pure hockey without the fights. Most of us grew up playing hockey with fighting being illegal, and checking curtailed extensively.

If the size of goal tender padding was frozen to, let's say 1984, I believe that guys like Jagr and Ovechkin would have a real shot at displacing Gretzky on the all-time goal list.

So you are predicting for this season for thornton to go on a ovechkin type run points wise?

He is 16 and 17 points away from his next 2 players in points and is 16 assists away from recchi for assists.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
After getting 4 points tonight he is now down to 12 and 13 points to move up 2 more spots.

And is 14 assists away from moving up in assists.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
8 points back of moving up 2 spots in all the points and 10 assists from moving up 1 spot in the all time assists.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
8 points back of moving up 2 spots in all the points and 10 assists from moving up 1 spot in the all time assists.

Man, we're so lucky to have witnessed Thornton play for the Sharks. He looked like he was starting to decline earlier this season when the Sharks were struggling. He's re-asserted his dominance. Generational passer and a damn near generational player imo.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Man, we're so lucky to have witnessed Thornton play for the Sharks. He looked like he was starting to decline earlier this season when the Sharks were struggling. He's re-asserted his dominance. Generational passer and a damn near generational player imo.

Funny how a player can produce even more when the TEAM around him is also playing well. Sharks haven't had this kind of forward depth in years, and that combined with Thornton's typically steady play is leading to big numbers for him this season.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Funny how a player can produce even more when the TEAM around him is also playing well. Sharks haven't had this kind of forward depth in years, and that combined with Thornton's typically steady play is leading to big numbers for him this season.

Yep. Everyone knows Thornton is the guy, but he can't do everything alone. It's pretty crazy to think he's on pace for his best season in half a decade.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Looking at the rest of this season, if Thornton continues at PPG at doesn't get hurt, he would pass Andreychuk and Savard for 27th on the all-time points list; if he kills it, he could pass Shanahan for 25th.

As for assists, he'll almost assuredly pass Recchi for 14th this season, and if he kills it he could pass Gilmour for 13th. After that he's looking up at guys like Sakic, Lemieux, Dionne, and Howe. Crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->