Joe Thornton all time leaders watch.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Currently at 1,321. 5 points from tying Perreault (1,326), 14 away from tying 30th all-time (Mike Gartner - 1,335).

Joe is probably a season away from reaching 20th (Jari Kurri is at 1,398).

Also currently at 948 assists. 8 assists away from tying Recchi (956). Less than 100 more assists til he's in the top-10 (Marcel Dionne is 10th at 1048).

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Anyone think it's crazy that since Dec 15 I'm more surprised if Thornton doesn't score a point in a game than if he does. He's ****ing 36...

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
That nonchalant back pass to Martin for Pav's goal last night was the typical thing we are seeing. He looks, looks away for anything better then puts it into an open space to a wide open player. It really is amazing. There was a pass in the 2nd period i think where he was on the far boards by the blueline and just threaded it across to the near board to a player who was skating into the zone. Not too many players can make that pass as easily as Jumbo

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It's totally crazy but I'm starting to do the same thing. He isn't just collecting points but he is creating them.

I would argue that Thornton himself is the single reason we're winning. If he isn't the league MVP, it's because writers either don't watch Sharks games, hate old dudes, or hate Thornton.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
73% Goals For% for Jumbo at 5 on 5 this year. Sure some of that is luck (it's impossible to get anywhere near that high on skill alone) but that's still utterly, utterly insane. 1st in the NHL among players with 250+ minutes. He deserves the Hart Trophy.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
73% Goals For% for Jumbo at 5 on 5 this year. Sure some of that is luck (it's impossible to get anywhere near that high on skill alone) but that's still utterly, utterly insane. 1st in the NHL among players with 250+ minutes. He deserves the Hart Trophy.

I can't remember the article off by hand right now and do not want to read it again. But wasn't the goals for thing said to have hapoened a few times in his career already?

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
I can't remember the article off by hand right now and do not want to read it again. But wasn't the goals for thing said to have hapoened a few times in his career already?

Hmm not sure which article but his player card on hockey analysis has his Goals For% going back to 2007: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=372 He's hit 60+ quite a few times, and high 50s most other years. If anyone knows how to find out his 2005-06 numbers that'd be cool to look at too.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He doesn't deserve the Hart Trophy guys, let's be honest. If he continues being the best player in the NHL up until the end of the season, and finishes with over 85 points, he deserves some consideration. Otherwise, it's pretty crazy to suggest. No forward under PPG has ever won the award to my knowledge and I don't think Thornton deserves it now.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
Probably in a 3 arms race with Vancouver and Arizona for the last spot in the division for a playoff position. Maybe slightly ahead of them but definitely not 15+ points ahead of them.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I bet Thornton hardly gets consideration. It's Kane's to lose, unfortunately.

Kane's a terrible possession player whose dynamic offensive ability, teammates, and Crawford's excellent season cover it up. He's most offensively gifted player in the league right now but if we're talking just this season, I would take Jumbo over him with absolutely no questions asked.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Kane's a terrible possession player whose dynamic offensive ability, teammates, and Crawford's excellent season cover it up. He's most offensively gifted player in the league right now but if we're talking just this season, I would take Jumbo over him with absolutely no questions asked.

I meant that I think that's what the voters will do. He leads the league in points and plays for a winning team. I don't care about points and team success, but the voters do.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California

Most NHL awards that aren't stat-based awards are jokes, though.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Thornton had a goal and an assist last night. That brings him to 374 goals, 951 assists and 1325 points.

Goals: Next up are Trevor Linden, Milan Hejduk, Butch Goring... who are tied for 111th with 375.

Assists: Next up is Mark Recchi, who is 14th with 956.

Points: Next up is Gilbert Perreault, who is 32nd with 1326.

There are 14 games left in the season. I think Thornton can get three more goals (which would give him 19) and nine more assists (which would give him 59).

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Kane has generally been a "poor possession" player according to the analytics. But Chicago fans, who watch him game in and game out, don't see it that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad