Jim Elmer Benning on Sportsnet 650 Today (Jan. 23) around 4 PM

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
What an incredible line of reasoning. 29 teams should have just blown it up last year for being outperformed by VGK.

Or consider if their management staffs are doing a competent job and then act accordingly?

Nah... that would be Pejorative Slured. Let's give Benning another five years! Especially with the incompetent second generation money boob of an owner we have.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Well this thread's fun.

On topic - this part was interesting. Wonder what he thinks Edmonton did wrong.

On how much Benning kicks tires with GMs in difficult situations(ie. Chiarelli): Has biweekly conversations with GMs. Takes a diplomatic way around directly saying the Oilers are a example of what not to do.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
29 teams should absolutely feel humiliated and be holding their front office feet to the fire after last season. No question.

It's time to recognize that the front office situation in the national hockey league is.a near universal disaster and needs a monstrous overhaul.
Wait a minute. You're saying every team in the league except Washington should overhaul because LV made it to the finals? I don't think anyone can find a JB quote that even comes close to that doozy. The League gave LV a great team and allowed them to make 150 crooked looking trades in their first year that gave them the depth they have and all those first rounders... The Canucks have to build their depth because they didn't pay a 500 million dollar expansion fee. You guys are stuck with JB for a long while unless they miss the playoffs next year and that's not happening. The Canucks will have Hughes and another year of experience for the young guys they have now. If they can do some damage in the playoffs next season, JB will be extended. Probably 5 years with a 2 year option. I told you guys, it takes 5 years to assess a GM because some of the deals are bandaid fixes. At the end of next year, the first 5 years are up and they will be a top team next year. I admit they need to upgrade the defence.........Hughes,Joulevi,Woo.............done.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
‘Rural upbringing?!?’

WTF?

Benning is a rich kid from Edmonton whose dad worked for the Montreal Canadiens. That he’s such a shambling, incoherent imbecile has nothing to do with his upbringing or a lack of advantages in life.

I dunno have you been to Edmonton

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
The hate is strong in them , perhaps all consuming almost a sickness and they're not aware....

Or maybe the team has just god awful management. Some here are up in arms because this team has Petterson, Boeser and Horvat. Well Edmonton has McDavid, Draisaitl and Nugent-Hopkins and are still one of the worst teams. Maybe the fans shouldnt get distracted by some great players on the team that avoid total embarassment and look at the bigger picture.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Close the thread. Benning says they are going to sign Edler to a extension and he will not be traded. they are also not trading any draft picks for 2019 so they will not be buyers as well
Benning says Canucks priorities remain the future, Edler extension - Sportsnet.ca

Let’s be honest benning has in the past said one thing and done another;

Remember the whole I got a great offer on Ryan Miller and then 2 months later I didn’t get an offer comments, he’s either a liar or has early onset Alzheimer’s

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Close the thread. Benning says they are going to sign Edler to a extension and he will not be traded. they are also not trading any draft picks for 2019 so they will not be buyers as well
Benning says Canucks priorities remain the future, Edler extension - Sportsnet.ca

Yep....Canucks aren't likely to be 'buyers' or 'sellers' at the TDL. If Edler and Tanev are off the books; and Sutter won't likely be dealt until after July 1st, then Vancouver doesn't really have any other assets of interest to anyone, other than the usual list of young untouchables.

Biggest relief is to hear Jimbo saying the team won't be trading any draft picks this time around. So the TDL will be kind of anticlimactic really. But if there's any interest in either Gudbranson or Sutter at the TDL, then Jimbo has to do his due diligence. Because that might be the time to maximize their return.

There's always teams looking for veteran depth. But of course those two contracts are albatrosses.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta

Remember the whole I got a great offer on Ryan Miller and then 2 months later I didn’t get an offer comments, he’s either a liar or has early onset Alzheimer’s
Cant believe what he says about.how he wants to see how this core of players will fight for the playoffs...

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Come on and be fair, it was 9 months...

Reactions: racerjoe

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Jim Benning: We're in dialogue with (Edler). We're talking about what his intentions are and what he wants to do going forward. I think he's made it clear to us that he wants to stay in Vancouver...so we're going to continue to talk to them and see if we can figure something out

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

I have to agree with him here, the biggest hole for the trade/resign theory is that once players see what is out there, they rarely comeback.

Well, of course there’s also the “just let him go” argument

Last one I remeber returning to their former team is Roman freaking Polak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad