Jim Elmer Benning on Sportsnet 650 Today (Jan. 23) around 4 PM

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Is it just me or is Benning noncommittal about re-signing Edler?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Is it just me or is Benning noncommittal about re-signing Edler?

If I had to guess, I think management wants to see where Quinn Hughes is at in his development and how it translates to the NHL level.

I think Hughes will get called up to the NHL later this year and the Canucks will see where he’s at. They’ll burn a year off his ELC.

In the small event that Hughes is *already* a top pairing NHL dman, I think the Canucks will move on from Edler.......and will perhaps use that money to go after a UFA forward in the offseason (Duchene, Ferland, Stone, etc.)

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
Jan. 23: I will Not mortgage this team's future - Sportsnet.ca

Great interview and glad to hear his approach to the trade deadline is very close to mine. He's still more or less a seller and about to broach the possibility of an Edler move with him and his agent. He's not interested at all in sacrificing the future (although this is probably more obviously seen in how he's already been getting more picks) and seems to understand that although it would be great for the team to make the playoffs, we're still a ways from being the team we can be.
What Benning say's and what he does has been a joke since he came to the Canucks along with Linden. If he is close to a wild card spot even if other teams have games at hand the lure will be too much...he will buy instead of sell.

Var

Nov 10, 2007
What Benning say's and what he does has been a joke since he came to the Canucks along with Linden. If he is close to a wild card spot even if other teams have games at hand the lure will be too much...he will buy instead of sell.

Right, well I didn't plan on having my comments part of this thread. It was meant for different people.

Reactions: Nick Lang

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
Not entirely clear on why there was an interview...To give fans more transparency onto their strategic direction?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Of course it does. Without question. Listen, I get that people are upset. But I try to avoid engaging with that angle of the fanbase because it always ends in a pity party. This kind of thing dictates the mood only if you allow it to.
This is a ridiculous overreaction. It is not uncommon at all for a poster to glob onto an amusing (or perhaps embarrassing) detail and include it in a thread title. Say what you will about what follows in the posts themselves, but there's no inherently implied animosity in a title that includes "Jim Elmer Benning". Hell, it feels like the Pettersson thread gets a new moniker every week that's equally innocuous. To compare that to "Fire Travis Green" is silly. You can't just assign a toxic connotation to a middle name that people find funny for some reason purely because people generally have contempt for him.

And even then, I'm not sure what's inherently wrong with having a "Fire Travis Green" thread. I think Green gets a bit unfairly scapegoated around here and I wouldn't fire him, but it's a perfectly legitimate point of discussion.

Last edited:

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Why are people pissed about this interview?

This dude can't say anything without someone getting their panties into a bunch.

Reactions: timbermen

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
lmao Elmer

new thread

ahahhahahah

There isn't another relevant Jim Benning that we need to distinguish him from so adding his middle name is totally unnecessary. So why put the Elmer in there? It's clearly an attack on Benning for his rural upbringing. This is then correlated with his perceived lack of intelligence hence the term "Dim Jim" and "Jethro" which is basically calling him a hillbilly which properly frames the comments referencing his time spent living in a trailer growing up there's a crude undertone of classism and potentially a type of racism pervading this mindset which the unnecessary use of Elmer is a dogwhistle for.

Reactions: Nomobo

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
There isn't another relevant Jim Benning that we need to distinguish him from so adding his middle name is totally unnecessary. So why put the Elmer in there? It's clearly an attack on Benning for his rural upbringing. This is then correlated with his perceived lack of intelligence hence the term "Dim Jim" and "Jethro" which is basically calling him a hillbilly which properly frames the comments referencing his time spent living in a trailer growing up there's a crude undertone of classism and potentially a type of racism pervading this mindset which the unnecessary use of Elmer is a dogwhistle for.

Benning grew up in a trailer??

racism??

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
‘Rural upbringing?!?’

WTF?

Benning is a rich kid from Edmonton whose dad worked for the Montreal Canadiens. That he’s such a shambling, incoherent imbecile has nothing to do with his upbringing or a lack of advantages in life.
Lol so we could say an benning thread is a dog whistle for RMB to run to his defense without knowing anything,

That properly frames that posters comments for what they are

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
‘Rural upbringing?!?’

WTF?

Benning is a rich kid from Edmonton whose dad worked for the Montreal Canadiens. That he’s such a shambling, incoherent imbecile has nothing to do with his upbringing or a lack of advantages in life.

Side note I wonder if he’s always been like this or it’s a product from playing in a different era when head injuries weren’t taken serious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->