Jim Elmer Benning on Sportsnet 650 Today (Jan. 23) around 4 PM

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Our Glorious Wonderful Brilliant Overlord Jim Elmer Benning will be on the radio for softballs, befuddlement and Pettersson being mentioned every other sentence today.

Benning is going to be on Sportsnet 650 tomorrow for anyone interested in listening, but I'm guessing someone will summarize after.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
"Well yeah we are bringing in Peter. He has hockey knowledge y'know"

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Too bad it's relatively early in the afternoon as I would propose a drinking game for every time the word "Pettersson" is said during this interview.

It's like George H. Bush when he ran for re-election in 1992 saying "Persian Gulf" every other sentence to try to save his job.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
listening to this interview. Benning is being very coy about Edler and he is never coy. He didn't outright say they want to re-sign him but wants to sit down with his agent and see what the plan is.

imo, he is going to sit down with his agent and discuss trade deadline trade and perhaps re-sign him in the off-season.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
He is not proactive, ever. It’s always last minute “we will talk later” blah blah blah. All I can say is it better not be hamhuis situation all over again (with Edler). Make the trade or resign (but not long term for stupid $ with NMC).

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

member 290103

I really hope he doesn't eat his own words this time, otherwise I fully agree with his approach.

Let the young core battle til the end of the season without buying any rental at the deadline. Enjoy the ride and let them take us to wherever they can

So in other words it’s a pointless interview.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Want to play meaningful games in February for young players. Talks about how tough it is late in the season and how everything being preached by Green is more important now.

Worth ethic as a team and young players has is what has surpassed his expectations.

TDL: Set plan in place at beginning of the year. All about growth of young players. Want to keep draft picks and feels draft is good enough they can get a good player in the first round if they do make make the playoffs this year

Will talk to Edler and agent. Has had 0 conversation in regards to a trade. Mentioned how much Pettersson looks up to him.

If they have a hockey deal offered up they'll look at it. Won't mortgage the future. Specifically mentions young player for young player type deal.

On playoffs expectation - Is confident if they keep playing like they have they can make playoffs. Good for development. If not it's still valuable experience for the young players

Asked about how many more pieces they need to contend: Likes depth of prospect pool and specifically mentions guys like Lind, Juolevi, Hughes.

Still confident Juolevi will be a top 4 Dman.

On how much Benning kicks tires with GMs in difficult situations(ie. Chiarelli): Has biweekly conversations with GMs. Takes a diplomatic way around directly saying the Oilers are a example of what not to do.

Boeser extension: Going to talk at the end of year, no discussion yet and just want to let him play.

Pettersson: Says it wasn't a blessing in disguise they didn't win the lottery. Would have probably just took him higher(won't directly talk about order).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->