Jim Elmer Benning on Sportsnet 650 Today (Jan. 23) around 4 PM

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Why are people pissed about this interview?

This dude can't say anything without someone getting their panties into a bunch.
Jokes on you, I don't wear panties (or anything else under my pants). Commando style!

For me at this point, it's like a car accident. You don't want to look but you know have to slow down a see what happened.

Var

Nov 10, 2007
This is a ridiculous overreaction. It is not uncommon at all for a poster to glob onto an amusing (or perhaps embarrassing) detail and include it in a thread title. Say what you will about what follows in the posts themselves, but there's no inherently implied animosity in a title that includes "Jim Elmer Benning". Hell, it feels like the Pettersson thread gets a new moniker every week that's equally innocuous. To compare that to "Fire Travis Green" is silly. You can't just assign a toxic connotation to a middle name that people find funny for some reason purely because people generally have contempt for him.

And even then, I'm not sure what's inherently wrong with having a "Fire Travis Green" thread. I think Green gets a bit unfairly scapegoated around here and I wouldn't fire him, but it's a perfectly legitimate point of discussion.

You guys are making a big deal about something small. I made a separate thread, big deal. Nobody's saying you shouldn't be able to rip the guys that manage the Canucks. Whatever works for you. Nobody's stopping you from enjoying that kind of thing. But hopefully the reverse is true too though. That the people that are upset with management aren't hoping to interfere with a discussion on the details. And if you read through this thread, there are an awful lot of people that have no interest in that - only leading the "down with management" charge. They don't care what he said in the interview, maybe they didn't even listen to it. So how do we solve this if we don't use another thread? We're interested in different things entirely.

Let's suppose we rely on ignores. You'd imagine that people who aren't in the fire-management-group would ignore people like the OP - FacepalmBenning - for obvious reasons. In that case, I'm not sure we even see the thread. Now we can't have a chat about it?

At the end of the day though, if we're going to try to have engage on these things as a group and have only one thread, I wonder how else the mods envision a solution to all of these negatively slanted threads.

member 290103

Don’t be a hater... You know what he meant, when we’re ready to contend.

Benning always says exactly what he means. I think he honestly meant, "when" they are "good." No question in my mind.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
You guys are making a big deal about something small. I made a separate thread, big deal. Nobody's saying you shouldn't be able to rip the guys that manage the Canucks. Whatever works for you. Nobody's stopping you from enjoying that kind of thing. But hopefully the reverse is true too though. That the people that are upset with management aren't hoping to interfere with a discussion on the details. And if you read through this thread, there are an awful lot of people that have no interest in that - only leading the "down with management" charge. They don't care what he said in the interview, maybe they didn't even listen to it. So how do we solve this if we don't use another thread? We're interested in different things entirely.

Let's suppose we rely on ignores. You'd imagine that people who aren't in the fire-management-group would ignore people like the OP - FacepalmBenning - for obvious reasons. In that case, I'm not sure we even see the thread. Now we can't have a chat about it?

At the end of the day though, if we're going to try to have engage on these things as a group and have only one thread, I wonder how else the mods envision a solution to all of these negatively slanted threads.

It could be that benning has lied many times in the past so we no longer take anything he says as truth when he talks to the media....but you know I’m a hater and there isn’t a list or Twitter with all his lies

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
And there’s a tanking thread for the fake fan types to pull this childish stuff.... this thread is neither

First.. I am not the one advocating to divide the people in to safe rooms. The poster I was replying to was doing that.

Really nobody gives a hoot if you think their fandom is real or not, or if you find wanting a Stanley Cup caliber team childish.
This thread is about an interview about a GM who is not good at what he does, objectively.

I assume you find it okay to be critical of certain players on the team. Why is the GM off limits?

edit. Just took a peek at your post history... Why did I even bother replying.

Reactions: geebaan

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
JB hasn't been giving you guys alot to be mad about lately. Yet you still gripe over the same moves that didn't pan out from years ago. JB was a rookie GM when they signed him and his early moves weren't his best. There's a learning curve in a job like that , if you're realistic you'd admit that. I remember when Pat Quinn took over, it was a very long road to build a cup contender, even with Pat Quinn's experience and excellence as a GM. They'll probably make the playoffs this year but if they miss by a couple points, you'll blame him for not tanking for a lottery pick. WD hurt the teams development.There isn't a thing you can say over that last two years about JB's deals. All you can do is bring up the record in a season that was a complete write-off because of injury. It shows who's been watching hockey for years and seen some long and painful rebuilds and who's been watching for less than 10 years.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
First.. I am not the one advocating to divide the people in to safe rooms. The poster I was replying to was doing that.

Really nobody gives a hoot if you think their fandom is real or not, or if you find wanting a Stanley Cup caliber team childish.
This thread is about an interview about a GM who is not good at what he does, objectively.

I assume you find it okay to be critical of certain players on the team. Why is the GM off limits?

edit. Just took a peek at your post history... Why did I even bother replying.
I got news for you bro, there's 31 teams in the league that want a Stanley Cup caliber team. Stomping your feet or holding your breathe till your face goes red isn't going to make it happen quicker. Is this your first rebuild? Remember the '80's? You know, that era the Canucks traded Cam Neeley? Now that was dismal. This team is on the right track and some people can't stand it.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
JB hasn't been giving you guys alot to be mad about lately. Yet you still gripe over the same moves that didn't pan out from years ago. JB was a rookie GM when they signed him and his early moves weren't his best. There's a learning curve in a job like that , if you're realistic you'd admit that. I remember when Pat Quinn took over, it was a very long road to build a cup contender, even with Pat Quinn's experience and excellence as a GM. They'll probably make the playoffs this year but if they miss by a couple points, you'll blame him for not tanking for a lottery pick. WD hurt the teams development.There isn't a thing you can say over that last two years about JB's deals. All you can do is bring up the record in a season that was a complete write-off because of injury. It shows who's been watching hockey for years and seen some long and painful rebuilds and who's been watching for less than 10 years.

It'd be one thing if Benning was beginning to make a munch of apt and sensible big moves with the team in recent memory.

The best thing about his body of work lately is that it sucks less relative to earlier on in his tenure, which quite possibly is due to less pressure from above. He's still not really making transactions to improve the team substantially.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I got news for you bro, there's 31 teams in the league that want a Stanley Cup caliber team. Stomping your feet or holding your breathe till your face goes red isn't going to make it happen quicker. Is this your first rebuild? Remember the '80's? You know, that era the Canucks traded Cam Neeley? Now that was dismal. This team is on the right track and some people can't stand it.

I think you are on to something. Benning should definitely start a rebuild!

But in all seriousnes... The fact that there are 31 teams in the league, and with the salary cap and other mechanisms to ensure parity, you can't afford a dumbf*** as your GM. That puts you at a huge disadvantage.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

So essential you are saying it is ok that we suck because there were times when it was even worse and now there are 30 other teams competing with us so its pretty much useless trying anyway and we should just enjoy that there are some young guys on the team.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
hes saying that cavemen Benning is better than prehistoric dinosaur GMs so we should give him a break

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

What on earth are you talking about? Nothing you're saying here seems to have anything to do with what I mentioned in my post. Who said anything about being upset with management or two sides getting along?

It was a neutral logistical comment about how there isn't anything loaded about the term "Jim Elmer Benning" (or to a lesser degree, suggesting firing personnel), and how it doesn't make sense to react as if there is.

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Why are people pissed about this interview?

This dude can't say anything without someone getting their panties into a bunch.

It likely has to do with distrust. As am example I already provided, I guarantee Jim thought the Gudbranson trade wasn’t one affecting the team future becauseReal Gud was young. So no one trusts him when he says he won’t mortgage the future because his definition of that is different than anyon else’s. Also saying he’d do a hockey trade instills fear in people because his pro scouting is just ludicrously bad.

And really what is the BS that Jim isn’t giving stuff for people to be mad about? Poo, Real Gud, Loui, Granlund etc are the gifts that keep on giving. How they are still on the roster should make everyone upset. Guess who is in control of the roster? Or am I supposed to be happy about a team that has the exact same number of points at this stage as 2 of the previous 3 years and only a touch more than that other year? Don’t let the shitshow that is the Oilers, Ducks and Star delude you into thinking this is a better team because it’s not.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend

You've spent all this time watching losers? Of course this all looks normal to you.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
For a frame of reference a NHL expansion team made of spare parts and castoffs is outperforming the Canucks for the second year in a row.

PLZ GIVE BENNING ANOTHER FIVE YEARS! MUST REBUILD THE REBUILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
For a frame of reference a NHL expansion team made of spare parts and castoffs is outperforming the Canucks for the second year in a row.

PLZ GIVE BENNING ANOTHER FIVE YEARS! MUST REBUILD THE REBUILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To be fair that expansion team has outperformed 90% of the teams in the NHL. It will be interesting to see if Seattle can do the same.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
JB hasn't been giving you guys alot to be mad about lately. Yet you still gripe over the same moves that didn't pan out from years ago. JB was a rookie GM when they signed him and his early moves weren't his best.

I guess doing nothing is preferable to doing really dumb stuff, so I suppose that's an improvement. I remain floored that people can watch the defensive unit this management team has put together on a nightly basis (apparently you "watch a lot of hockey") and have any faith in their ability to do their job. These are people who attempted to improve a blue line by adding Pouliot and Gudbranson. Two guys who, by basically any metric, completely suck. They then proceeded to enter this season without improving the defense at all.

The main ability of the current regime appears to be overspending on depth players of marginal, to questionable, utility. I don't really see a reason to be optimistic about future moves. I can't even say "Benning" because it's pretty clear there's some sort of nightmare Benning/Weisbrod/Aquilini Frankenstein running the team, but until they make a pro-level acquisition that's not totally worthless, completely overpaid, or completely marginal I don't see why you'd be particularly bullish on their ability to build anything outside of a fringe playoff team. Thereby likely wasting Petterson, Boeser, and Horvat's prime years by surrounding them with a boatload of suck.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
What an incredible line of reasoning. 29 teams should have just blown it up last year for being outperformed by VGK.

29 teams should absolutely feel humiliated and be holding their front office feet to the fire after last season. No question.

It's time to recognize that the front office situation in the national hockey league is.a near universal disaster and needs a monstrous overhaul.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
‘Rural upbringing?!?’

WTF?

Benning is a rich kid from Edmonton whose dad worked for the Montreal Canadiens. That he’s such a shambling, incoherent imbecile has nothing to do with his upbringing or a lack of advantages in life.

Lol @ excpecting truth or accuracy from the jb fanclub.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad