Post-Game Talk: Jets Win against Wings 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Quick thoughts (8.11)...

ESW - Another really strong game from Ehlers. Fast, aggressive and creating a lot of chances. Scheifele was okay, but he's been playing very soft in his own zone. A lot of poking and not solid positioning. Also, he missed the net on two or three great chances from the slot. He has to bury those, or at least hit the net on the PP. Wheeler with some terrible long shifts. It's inexcusable for the captain. He needs to realize that it's okay to get off at 30 seconds if there is an opportunity, instead of being selfish and staying on. On one 3rd period shift he was basically broken. Couldn't do anything but coast around bent over in his own zone. A really good example was vs. the 6 on 5. The puck is cleared down behind the Wings net early on, and Wheeler could have changed, but he went down and took the net-front defensive position, and never got off the ice again. He was lucky the Wings called a time-out. I guess it's because the Jets don't have an elite shut-down line to spell him off --- oh, wait a minute, never mind... Also, why can't he hit the net from 10 feet in front of the net.

CLP - A strong game by this line. Little is having a terrific season so far. He's been just outstanding defensively, and he's getting and generating offense. Really encouraging. Connor was okay, but seems to have learned some bad habits from Wheeler and Scheifele with soft plays to clear the D zone. Perreault had a really strong game. All over the puck, lots of good puck control, generating chances. Bad penalty was the only negative.

CLT - I shudder the think where the Jets would be this season without this line (last season, too). Another really solid game. I thought Tanev was having another so-so game with the puck, but then he dives face first to block a shot from the slot and then makes a very nice zone entry and play to set up Buff's winner. Copp was working hard again, and Lowry is just a beast.

LRL - Lemieux tried hard. You can see that Roslovic is close to breaking out offensively, but is just off. Laine should be well-rested for tomorrow. Didn't play much, and didn't try much when he was on the ice. Tonight it looked like his legs and hands deserted him. Really disappointing early season for him. I think he really needs to learn how to work harder at all facets, including his off-season training. There's no way a top player should come into the season "rusty" in this day and age.

44-8 Morrissey with another outstanding game. I shudder to think where the Jets would be without him. Trouba with his worst game of the season, by far. He looked like Myers with the puck in his own zone. The difference is that Trouba knows how to close things down defensively when he's not good with the puck.

7-33 It was nice to see Buff get the game winner and his 500th career point, but I thought he was very erratic, and had a lot of Da Beauty League in his game tonight. Chiarot is barely an NHL defenseman, and definitely not a top-4. Nice pass on Buff's goal, though.

5-57 Kulikov was atrocious. The Jets have a real problem on LD. Kulikov's decision-making with the puck and on a couple of pinches was awful. Myers was too ponderous against a quick team, but clearly the better of this pair.

Brossoit with another outstanding game. Kept the Jets within 1 in the first, and shut the door in the third.

It's easy to be overly negative after a game like this. The Wings were loaded for bear after an embarrassing game, and they played fast and hard. I liked the Jets' work ethic. They stuck with it after the 1st period push from the Wings and won an important road game that could have been a trap between the games vs. the Leafs.

SirKlaus

Nov 8, 2017
I purposely left Laine out of this post - I honestly don't know what to do with him - he's lost out there and looks like he's playing in a league he doesn't belong in - it's that bad.
Guess I didn't really leave him out but I wanted to - I feel for the guy at this point.

He's a bit of a sulker I think. He'll get it going no doubt, sooner or later. A lot sooner if he stops hunching his shoulders and tries harder - every shift.

Reactions: sipowicz

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Wings had 27 shots we had 38, hardly dominated, we had a slight edge and got a one goal win, Brossoit also came up big in the win.

We dominated the majority of the game, got the majority of shots, and my eye test at least says that our shots were routinely of a higher quality, given how many times people lost their mind as Howard pulled miracle after miracle out of his ass.

We were the better team for the majority of the game despite being on the road. It's not like Detroit dummied us for 3 periods but Brossoit played lights-out and we cheesed it out in a shootout.

The better team that played better and dominated most of the play got the win, as they will do a significant majority of the time.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
A win is a win especially on the road but jeez does Laine and Wheeler need to start playing better . Laine needs a beard to score i guess and Wheeler needs to be in a contract year to really produce . Glad we won though 7-3-1 looks alot better than 6-4-1 .

Reactions: GNP

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Enjoyed the game. Brossoit with another very nice game. Sure is nice to have a competent backup to spell Helle for the back-to-back games. He'll earn himself a raise if he keeps this up and hopefully it pushes Helle as well. Sure thought Howard put in a great game. Yeah, the Jets missed the net a bunch but boy Howard robbed some people. I'd give Howard first star were it up to me.

Little. Heh. Chuckle. Yeah, another stellar game. Just great play, great full 60 minute effort.

I think Laine comes around but he's really going to have to change his off-season behavior. He's costing himself millions right now, poor kid. Then again, look at Stamkos' start and I'm not all that worried. And I don't think Stamkos does fortnight.

Good 40 minute effort. Hopefully we can move that up to 50 or heaven forbid 60 tomorrow night.

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
We dominated the majority of the game, got the majority of shots, and my eye test at least says that our shots were routinely of a higher quality, given how many times people lost their mind as Howard pulled miracle after miracle out of his ass.

We were the better team for the majority of the game despite being on the road. It's not like Detroit dummied us for 3 periods but Brossoit played lights-out and we cheesed it out in a shootout.

The better team that played better and dominated most of the play got the win, as they will do a significant majority of the time.

This kind of performance would be decent against a team like Stars or the Preds but the difference is that Detroit has won 1 game all season, the concern is that a team with cup aspirations should have looked much better against a team with 1 win on the season, a team that mind you still has Kronwall playing nearly 18 minutes a night. :help:

Reactions: GNP and Kratti

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This kind of performance would be decent against a team like Stars or the Preds but the difference is that Detroit has won 1 game all season, the concern is that a team with cup aspirations should have looked much better against a team with 1 win on the season, a team that mind you still has Kronwall playing nearly 18 minutes a night. :help:
Poor NHL teams can be very tough, especially at home when they are desperate.

Jets did this...

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Whileee

May 29, 2010
upload_2018-10-26_22-30-1.png

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I thought the Jets played pretty well actually. Lots of speed and they worked hard for the most part.
So many close calls that it could have easily been 5-1. Of course it could have easily gone the other way too. The goalies were both fantastic.
Still some work to do< and they looked decent against a bad team. But I'll take the win.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
thank you Broissant.
Buff still a game breaker to me. Turned a close call on Chiarot's pass into the game winner. Makes some defensive mistakes but all in all still superb.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
It blows my mind that we're 7-3-1 and not playing anywhere near our potential. The only constant so far has been pretty good goaltending overall. For a team who's basically only replaced Hendricks/Armia up front from last season with Roslovic and Lemieux we seem to take a while to get going in every game. Not counting the luxury that Stastny was for us to finish the season obviously. We just look flat footed at the start of most games.

Reactions: Robinson2187

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I sure hope the Wings will make Cholowski available at next year's draft when the Jets try to move Trouba, looked really good tonight. If only there was a way the Jets could have drafted him to begin with :sarcasm:. I was watching the game with one eye on the players/prospects that the Jets could get back from the Wings in a Trouba trade and he stood out the most. Athanasieu was another one, who also seems to have bad blood with the Wings organization but not sure we can afford him from a salary-cap perspective, looks like Tanev with more scoring.

Poor NHL teams can be very tough, especially at home when they are desperate.

Jets did this...

Sure but it's not a one off game, it's a pattern that has been consistent throughout the season so far. Speaking more on the patter rather than an individual game.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He was playing pretty well 5 on 5 to start the game, winning battles and going at it pretty hard. I found it a weird time to demote him. On the fourth line however he looked disinterested.

Ehlers played at least as well as Wheeler and Scheifele.
Didn't watch the game but isn't that the problem 5 ppl have already posted here Chef and Cap didn't play well. To play as well as two players not doin well is not the goal.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
thank you Broissant.
Buff still a game breaker to me. Turned a close call on Chiarot's pass into the game winner. Makes some defensive mistakes but all in all still superb.

That Chiarot pass was SO close to being a disaster. But it worked out this time. He's one for two on that play.

Reactions: kxx

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It blows my mind that we're 7-3-1 and not playing anywhere near our potential. The only constant so far has been pretty good goaltending overall. For a team who's basically only replaced Hendricks/Armia up front from last season with Roslovic and Lemieux we seem to take a while to get going in every game. Not counting the luxury that Stastny was for us to finish the season obviously. We just look flat footed at the start of most games.
I'd argue that is one of two things consistently in the Jets favour. I'd argue the other thing is CLT.
Oh and I'd also argue that #44 has been pretty consistently good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad