Post-Game Talk: Jets Win against Wings 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Helle did the same thing for the Jets last season, stole at least 3 wins out of the first 10, crazy how short peoples memories are.

Starting a goalie in consecutive games on a b2b is historically a nightmare, not a good plan at all.

I don't agree with this, but you might be right on the stastics of B2B games.I haven't done any studies, but I think their harder on hard skating forwards. I see it differently, as guys run triathalons -- like swim 25 miles, bike 100 miles, then run a 26 mile marathon--all in one day.Now that's what you call a grueling feat.

These are young athletes, and should have no trouble in going back to back--however I think you'll get your wish, and Helle will likely start --I think it's a mistake IMO --we'll see what happens. I'm pulling for the Jets, no matter who's in net.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He has 6 pp points and 4 even strength points. Its acceptible for Ovie, Hall, McDavid, Backstrom etc etc to have half their points or more from the PP but not Wheeler? Anyone saying bench those guys?

The first line needs to be better 5 on 5 - in the opinion of some, Wheeler might look a little slow TY - I agree.
This line has top ten potential (IMO) - that's what I look forward to.
This might be just a bit of nervousness after his recent payday.
No one is saying bench these guys - although it would allow others to pick up a little ice time ;)

Reactions: JetBlue420

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
This board is so fickle. We did win. Guess some missed that. I know there are obvious criticisms but we are getting results. @Whileee summed this game up pretty accurately. People need to bring their expectations back to earth. They’re absolutely over the top now.

Anxious moments - take it in stride.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

I don't agree with this, but you might be right on the stastics of B2B games.I haven't done any studies, but I think their harder on hard skating forwards. I see it differently, as guys run triathalons -- like swim 25 miles, bike 100 miles, then run a 26 mile marathon--all in one day.

These are young athletes, and should have no trouble in going back to back--however I think you'll get your wish, and Helle will likely start --I think it's a mistake IMO --we'll see what happens. I'm pulling for the Jets, no matter who's in net.
I don't agree with this.
You obviously underestimate how difficult playing goal in the NHL is.

And hockey players aren't triathletes and triathletes don't run races on b2b days.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wheeler is currently on pace for 75 points, and I believe his points per game has been increasing lately. This ongoing narrative that he isn't producing is false and getting tiresome.

Same with promoting Broissant to #1 and, unbelievably, some talk of trading Hellebuyck? Crazy talk. Broissant has been a pleasant surprise but he hasn't even faced one playoff team yet.
I'm not worried about production. I'm worried about his line getting pinned in their own zone, leading to too many penalties, and getting worn out. 5v5 production could still be better, too.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Nice win.
As expected.

We are a top 2 team in the league.
We better beat the Leafs tomorrow!!!

In Jets 11 games so far.
We have played 2 top tier teams.
1 against the Preds and 1 against the Leafs.
Hoping for a better 60 minutes against a heavy weight.

Reactions: GNP

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Playing on the road against a struggling, hungry home team is no easy task. The Jets needed to maintain their work level against an opponent like that and they did. Good road win, no question.

Not that a lot of people notice, but Bryan Little is a major part of why the Jets are where they are right now. He's consistently been one of the top 4 forwards night in night out.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't agree with this.
You obviously underestimate how difficult playing goal in the NHL is.

And hockey players aren't triathletes and triathletes don't run races on b2b days.

I don't think it would be physically possible possible to run a triathalon, on 2 consecutive days. Maybe Daniella Riff could do it -- I think she could, and also Lionel Sanders ( longer times though)-- but maybe not--it's totally exhausting, and would make a Goaltenders comparable physical output look like a night out dancing- "no comparison" in physical output. Triatheletes are the best conditioned athletes in the world--"by far" IMO. Quite a few go to hospital and are on intravenous after a triathalon race. I'd have to check in at the Emergency--it's very grueling.

I've seen goaltenders go B2B --and win, but you maybe right in that I underestimate the physical demand on them. To me, if their not that busy, they don't exert that much energy, and stand around a lot. I think it's more the mental demand, that is exhausting. It would depend on how well they are conditioned, and Maurice says Brossoit is "very fit."

Irregardless, I think we see Helle in net-- but I think I'd start Brossoit--"he's hot." Let's hope Helle can pull off some of last years magic. ( I'm very shaky on Helle right now)-- so he can prove me wrong, like he did last year. I'd love to eat a little crow for the team.:)

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
We were significantly better for a significant majority of the game, and got a result that reflected it. It was yet another almost exactly-on-expectation game.

"If we aren't the better team 100% of the time and unless we make zero mistakes and win handily, it's a failure" is an *incredibly* and perniciously high expectation.

If you want to win a cup you should look more dominant than they have been looking

Are we just hoping for a playoff appearance?

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I'll take results over looks any day.

That's true to a certain extent. However, the Jets still look like they're trying to find themselves. There doesn't seem to be a consistency to their game. I think a lot of people are wondering why their play seems so different from last year. Sure, they have a good record so far but the question remains as to why they aren't controlling games like they were last season. Nashville seems to have picked up where they left off last season with their 8-2-0 record. Yes, it's still early in the season and there's a long way to go but it would sure be nice if they would start playing like Canada's best team again.

:jets

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
That's true to a certain extent. However, the Jets still look like they're trying to find themselves. There doesn't seem to be a consistency to their game. I think a lot of people are wondering why their play seems so different from last year. Sure, they have a good record so far but the question remains as to why they aren't controlling games like they were last season. Nashville seems to have picked up where they left off last season with their 8-2-0 record. Yes, it's still early in the season and there's a long way to go but it would sure be nice if they would start playing like Canada's best team again.

:jets
They really weren't controlling the first 10 games last season either, personally I think they're still working some things out and a few players aren't quite up to speed yet.

Have you watched Nashville's games? Are they dominating or are they just getting results? Oct typically tells us very little in the long run.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Has the puck carrier shot the puck on a 2-1 for the Jets this year? Deferring to the pass way too much imo.

Reactions: Jets 31

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Win is Win. Detroit should have had 3-0, 4-0 lead early though, but didn't. When Jets were trailing, they easily outplayed Detroit and continued with that most of the remaining game.

ESW continued where CSW left: their defense is all over the place like nobody knows his role. @Ducky10 had a nice gif about their backcheck, but one could make a lot of those gifs about the defensive "structure" when they are on the ice. Thanks to luck and Brossoit they had no goals against.

There is a bridge deal coming. Why they even bother giving Laine PP time if they don't give him puck to the left side? And while Laine is awesome for shooting from garbage passes and almost got one from an absolutely terrible pass, his confidence is now like systematically driven to new low so nothing positive is to be expected. Moving him with #28 could be a good idea, but I'm not confident #48 will be up to the task. Try #85 or #81 instead.

When your confidence is low and you are making mistakes, you probably should not get punished like he has been, while some have been untouchable. If you still remember mid 16-17 when the Captain was a black hole with all the pucks bouncing on his stick, he got totally different treatment: he was used in top line and PP1 many many games until it finally started to pay off. What Laine, and to lesser degree Ehlers has got is the exact opposite.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
If you want to win a cup you should look more dominant than they have been looking

Are we just hoping for a playoff appearance?

The team that played today looked well within normal parameters for a cup-contending team on the road against a bottom-feeder.

How low do you think Detroit's chance of winning the game was? 5%? 1%?

Reactions: Ducky10

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

I don't agree with this, but you might be right on the stastics of B2B games.I haven't done any studies, but I think their harder on hard skating forwards. I see it differently, as guys run triathalons -- like swim 25 miles, bike 100 miles, then run a 26 mile marathon--all in one day.Now that's what you call a grueling feat.

The problem with playing B2B is not so much physical it's being mentally prepare.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
It's almost as if there might be another team on the ice trying to prevent clean passes or seam passes to Laine. Strange, that. ;)

Right? Like, this isn't f'n bowling. You try and exert your will, the other team tries to exert theirs. Of course, the better team has their way more often, makes less mistakes, gets more mileage from their good luck and minimizes the cost of their bad luck. But they don't get things their way 100% of the time in all 3,600 seconds, because this is what happens when people are competing directly against each other.

All the "victory is solely a function of willpower" cliches need to die in a fire.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
It's almost as if there might be another team on the ice trying to prevent clean passes or seam passes to Laine. Strange, that. ;)

Obviously there are, and for that exact reason Washington is doing the opposite Jets is doing with their PP. And therefore they can give Ovy loads and loads of a bit lower quality scoring changes, but better quality passes.

Actually that did work already to some degree when #44 was there instead of #33. It's not rocket science. Hard, accurate shot against the goal happens to be a good thing on PP, as there will be rebounds if goal is not scored right away.

Also it's not rocket science that there has to be a lot of fast puck movement on PP, like PP2 is doing occasionally. Two or three good, fast and long passes in a row, and it's almost certain that the defensive structure is broken and there will be huge scoring opportunities. What's happening instead is that Wheeler is keeping the puck, keeping the puck, keeping the puck and then trying to 1. find Scheifele from center, 2. give the puck for Buff often to get it back, 3. try to seam pass Laine or 4. give the puck for Connor often to get i back. So predictable, and effective only because there are a couple of superior shooters in Scheifele and Laine. Also if the opponent cheats too much on Scheifele & Laine, Wheeler might find the net by himself. But there is that in a nutshell.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The problem with playing B2B is not so much physical it's being mentally prepare.

I think your right Raider--it's more the mental stress, and emotional toll it takes going back to back on the road --especially for the younger guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad