Post-Game Talk: Jets lose in OT 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
We are finding ways to give away points. In this one, keep taking dumb penalties in the third period until they tie it up on their powerplay. While our powerplay is trash. What does Pionk give us on the powerplay anyway? Not exactly a heavy shot. And he has a tendency to wind up and 'cough' BLAST 'cough' his uuuge slapper when we have less than ZERO traffic in front of the net.

Anyway, at least we got a point.
3-4 games now the Jets shouldn't have lost and 1 they probably shouldn't have won

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
They were employing the Umbrella on the PP its just too bad they tried to make Connor take every possible shot. Really need whoever the D man is to be able to get good tipable shots on net from the middle see the Rangers PP.

Again another game were Special teams will win you a game.
Agree with this. Some here have noted that we need D men with a heavier,more accurate shot which is true in order to give us the secondary or tertiary scoring opportunity from the point. But the D men absolutely have to show that they can control the blueline, be able to walk the line to change angles, and get an unblocked shot on net for tips/deflections. The Rangers absolutely excell at this.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Disappears might be a bit to much. However he's nowhere close to his regular season proficiency. Or elevating his all around play.

And whenever scheifele has been out he's one player who id look to in order to carry the load offensively, which I don't think has happened.

Fully understand It might be a bit of an unfair bar but that's the standard he set with his regular season play, and the grouping of production/players ppl want to place him in.

Except he disappears come playoff time. He's a regular season goal scorer who is bad at almost everything else, and he doesn't even score goals once the playoffs start.

He's too soft and isn't the type of player you win with in the playoffs, that has been clear for several years now.

He disappears in the playoffs though, you can't win with him on your team.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'd say his playoff performance is in the acceptable range. It's not great but it's not poor either.
I think the main 'issue' is Connors game isn't ideal for playoff hockey. However, I don't think he disappears at all in the playoffs. He just continues to play his game. The one thing that's great about Connor is he's extremely consistent

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
I hope the coaches don't think there's some magic voodoo holding the 2nd line together and are afraid to disturb it. It's time for a top 6 blender imo and sensible lineups. Balancing the lines will make them work better. Put Perfetti or Ehlers with Schief and whomever and let Connor take easier matchups on the 2nd imo

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Dillion is so undisciplined.

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up Ehlers when I never said anything about him but his poor playoff scoring doesn't change the fact that Connor is a one dimensional goal scorer who is soft as baby shit and disappears come playoff time.

If you want to have a conversation about Ehlers then go ahead but he has nothing to do with the conversation about Connor.
Yep we need to bring in new stars and can’t win with the ones we have.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Kfc is not the best. He has his flaws. He is also pretty affordable for a 40 goal scorer at 7 mil. If he was good at d he would easily be worth 9 + mil.

Makes me a bit hesitant to see what they would be willing to pay him to keep him around because you know they will want to.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
KFC is an elite scoring winger.
As a UFA, Chevy wouldn't want to be what he would be getting offered.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Copa can shoot. Call him up.

Trouba? yessir he would look good in a Jets jersey.

giphy.gif
I agree on the trouba ship sailing but a poster said he did not look good. He would easily be in the Jets top pairing.

They should have anyone but Schmidt on the PP!

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
We outplayed them most of the time at 5 on 5. We played very well. Makes it hard to lose when you lead at the end, kill an untimely penalty only to get another penalty.

A couple minor adjustments, Nino to the top line, Iafallo on the 3rd.

Give Chisolm or Capo a look. Can't wait until VH is ready.

Bench management could be a little better, under using some lines. In OT, our guys played great, but got gassed.

We are playing very well though, but need to win those games.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Oh, I'll give you that. On that note, time to check in on the Minus Race.

View attachment 760815

Kyle leading the pack, and solidly on pace for a -45 season. You go Kyle, you.... extremely consistent guy. :laugh:
One of Connor's minuses is from being on for a empty-net against. So -4 really. And that same ENGA makes Scheifele a -2 at even strength.

Negative even-strength goal diff:
Pionk -5
Dillon -4
Connor -4
Ehlers -3
Kupari -3
Scheifele -2
Schmidt -1

Positive even-strength goal diff:
DeMelo +7
Morrissey +6
Lowry +3
Niederreiter +3
Perfetti +3
Samberg +2
Gustafsson +2
Namestnikov +2
Iafalo +1

(Appleton, Vilardi and Barron are even).

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Looks like its KFC's turn to get bashed.:huh:
Seriously KFC is not a power forward he's is not going to win too many puck battles along the boards. Connor is an elite skater and goal scorer so it would make sense to have a true power forward on that line. The power forward would be the one to win the board battles and have Scheifele and Connor open for the shots ... its that simple.
Its the PP that is not winning games for the Jets and again problem is solved if you have a power forward standing in front of the net. Why do people think you need a hard slap shot from the point on the PP?
It's easier to deflect a shot from a hard wrister than a slap shot but for the Jets it doesn't matter because nobody goes to the net. Garrett watched the Jets for the first time and that the first thing he said NOBODY in front the of the net.

Jets will make the playoffs but they are not contenders until they get that power forward.
Also Jets need to upgrade the defense ... get one mean tough SOB Buff 2.0 and they are SC contenders. I sick of all these forwards just standing alone in front of Helly.

Reactions: Buffdog

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
KFC is an elite scoring winger.
As a UFA, Chevy wouldn't want to be what he would be getting offered.
Elite scoring winger that is allaergic to playing / working hard on D.

He cant be paired IMO with a less than stellar defensively responsible C.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree with this. Some here have noted that we need D men with a heavier,more accurate shot which is true in order to give us the secondary or tertiary scoring opportunity from the point. But the D men absolutely have to show that they can control the blueline, be able to walk the line to change angles, and get an unblocked shot on net for tips/deflections. The Rangers absolutely excell at this.

Morrissey should be able to do this. He was top 10 in points for dmen on the pp last year. I think it's more the fact that the team isn't that interested in running that play on the first unit. It's like the fourth or fifth option they look for. They spend far too much time trying to tee up KFC.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Looks like its KFC's turn to get bashed.:huh:
Seriously KFC is not a power forward he's is not going to win too many puck battles along the boards. Connor is an elite skater and goal scorer so it would make sense to have a true power forward on that line. The power forward would be the one to win the board battles and have Scheifele and Connor open for the shots ... its that simple.
Its the PP that is not winning games for the Jets and again problem is solved if you have a power forward standing in front of the net. Why do people think you need a hard slap shot from the point on the PP?
It's easier to deflect a shot from a hard wrister than a slap shot but for the Jets it doesn't matter because nobody goes to the net. Garrett watched the Jets for the first time and that the first thing he said NOBODY in front the of the net.

Jets will make the playoffs but they are not contenders until they get that power forward.
Also Jets need to upgrade the defense ... get one mean tough SOB Buff 2.0 and they are SC contenders. I sick of all these forwards just standing alone in front of Helly.

They have already got that power forward. He’s currently hurt and will be back in a few weeks…

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
[MOD]

Morrissey should be able to do this. He was top 10 in points for dmen on the pp last year. I think it's more the fact that the team isn't that interested in running that play on the first unit. It's like the fourth or fifth option they look for. They spend far too much time trying to tee up KFC.
We definitely need to start firing pucks. Everyone and their dog knows that the jets are stubbornly trying to force the puck through the seam or to the bumper in the slot, so they just protect that until they pass themselves out of options.

You know what would work? Starting to sift pucks through from the point and look for tips. If the Jets start doing that you are going to pull pks out of structure and open up those other options.

Waive Stan, bench 88, call up 77 and let him do that for PP2 with Mo running PP1.

Problem solved, Jets can Venmo me.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
[MOD]

We definitely need to start firing pucks. Everyone and their dog knows that the jets are stubbornly trying to force the puck through the seam or to the bumper in the slot, so they just protect that until they pass themselves out of options.

You know what would work? Starting to sift pucks through from the point and look for tips. If the Jets start doing that you are going to pull pks out of structure and open up those other options.

Waive Stan, bench 88, call up 77 and let him do that for PP2 with Mo running PP1.

Problem solved, Jets can Venmo me.

Agreed, the few (might have only been one) times they did it last night it caused some chaos infront of their net.

All PP's need some variety. Nothing wrong with getting it to KC when it's the best play but they need other wrinkles to open up KC to begin with.

If you bring in Perfetti put him on the HB, get Mark back in the bumper and have Nino down low as the net front presence.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Our top line is struggling significantly of recent, giving up grade A scoring chances against, and developing few scoring chances for, almost irrespective of whom they are matched against. Connor has been taken to task by many (justifiably so) but Scheifele has been given a pass for the most part. In fact, many posters seem to be of the mindset that Scheifele has committed to playing stronger 2 way hockey this year but I can`t see it myself. I can certainly get behind the notion that Scheif would benefit from a stronger left winger than Connor.

Seems to me the coach`s are left with the continuing issue of how to inspire/challenge Scheif to play a more competitive/intense game, starting immediately that he loses possession of the puck in the offensive zone to such time that "somebody" again gains possession (and I`m not conflating intensity with physicality,although the two are somewhat related).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad