Post-Game Talk: Jets lose in OT 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Our top line is struggling significantly of recent, giving up grade A scoring chances against, and developing few scoring chances for, almost irrespective of whom they are matched against. Connor has been taken to task by many (justifiably so) but Scheifele has been given a pass for the most part. In fact, many posters seem to be of the mindset that Scheifele has committed to playing stronger 2 way hockey this year but I can`t see it myself. I can certainly get behind the notion that Scheif would benefit from a stronger left winger than Connor.

Seems to me the coach`s are left with the continuing issue of how to inspire/challenge Scheif to play a more competitive/intense game, starting immediately that he loses possession of the puck in the offensive zone to such time that "somebody" again gains possession (and I`m not conflating intensity with physicality,although the two are somewhat related).

They are also once again extending their shifts which might play into the lack of intensity part. Much easier to play that way when you are fresh. Coaching needs to nip that in the bud.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

HOHARDI

giphy.gif

you-were-meant-to-save-the-world-hero.gif

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Morrissey should be able to do this. He was top 10 in points for dmen on the pp last year. I think it's more the fact that the team isn't that interested in running that play on the first unit. It's like the fourth or fifth option they look for. They spend far too much time trying to tee up KFC.
Don`t disagree at all. My problem really is that I`m unable to see clearly just what PP system the Jets are basically utilizing ,or what the underlying premise really is. It seems like they set up in an Umbrella, but then they utilize the down low forwards somewhat differently. One is frequently behind the net, to help control the board play, but he is hesitant/slow to move into netfront looking for screens/tips/deflections. It doesn`t seem that there are any set plays for the other forward to move in and out of prime scoring positions to capitalize off direct passes from the top by direct longer deflection or by quick shots themselves.

Bottom line, this is a very simple perimeter style attack, looking for one-timer (non screened) shots from the half walls. It won`t operate at a high efficiency because their is only puck movement around the outside.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Our top line is struggling significantly of recent, giving up grade A scoring chances against, and developing few scoring chances for, almost irrespective of whom they are matched against. Connor has been taken to task by many (justifiably so) but Scheifele has been given a pass for the most part. In fact, many posters seem to be of the mindset that Scheifele has committed to playing stronger 2 way hockey this year but I can`t see it myself. I can certainly get behind the notion that Scheif would benefit from a stronger left winger than Connor.

Seems to me the coach`s are left with the continuing issue of how to inspire/challenge Scheif to play a more competitive/intense game, starting immediately that he loses possession of the puck in the offensive zone to such time that "somebody" again gains possession (and I`m not conflating intensity with physicality,although the two are somewhat related).
I think the team, including all lines, are playing a notch higher overall - KC might be a pce that is not showing much, if any improvement over lasts year - and I don't think we will see any change.
Scheif is most definitely playing an improved 2 way game - it might not be where it could be, but it has improved. For reg season play, the last few games have shown a different level of compete IMO.
The coaches are likely pretty happy with how the team is progressing - I know that I am.
Now if you want to discuss KC in a vacuum, I'll jump on board with the complete lack of d discussion - but it's been that way always and will likely stay that way.
I also know that the top line will eventually break out and start scoring - if not soon, they will once Vilardi returns - I can wait as long as the team is playing as well as they are.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Only watched highlights but it just seemed like a close game... not sure blowing a 1 goal lead is as much of a disaster as this thread makes it seem...

I agree pionk shouldn't be on the powerplay - get demelo out there

One thing I'm seeing with Kupari is that he's not aggressive on the PK so we drift towards the collapsing box and it just becomes a shooting gallery

Overtime looked like shades if Maurice- KFC and scheif way way overplayed - they were gassed on that last shift

At this point I'd legit try nino-lowry-iafallo on the powerplay with KFC and scheif on the point

Reactions: Inanna

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Kc’s d is definitely a problem. It keeps him from being elite he can put up points as well as many top line forwards, but, with his d he is frustrating as heck. He is also not designed for playoffs. Will be interesting what he gets with his next contract.,

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I think the team, including all lines, are playing a notch higher overall - KC might be a pce that is not showing much, if any improvement over lasts year - and I don't think we will see any change.
Scheif is most definitely playing an improved 2 way game - it might not be where it could be, but it has improved. For reg season play, the last few games have shown a different level of compete IMO.
The coaches are likely pretty happy with how the team is progressing - I know that I am.
Now if you want to discuss KC in a vacuum, I'll jump on board with the complete lack of d discussion - but it's been that way always and will likely stay that way.
I also know that the top line will eventually break out and start scoring - if not soon, they will once Vilardi returns - I can wait as long as the team is playing as well as they are.
We will have to disagree on Scheif - he may look to be more involved defensively this year but the outcomes are no better than last.

I have to say I`m a little anxious with the assumption that everything will get so much better when Vilardi returns from injury. I certainly hope you are right but - the success of this line was based upon a very small number of games. Vilardi has played exceptionally well but it is asking an awful lot of him to prop up Connor/Scheifele against top quality opposition on a sustained basis. It will be exciting to see how this plays out for us. My view remains that the coach`s should be planning for options that separate Scheif and Connor.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We will have to disagree on Scheif - he may look to be more involved defensively this year but the outcomes are no better than last.

I have to say I`m a little anxious with the assumption that everything will get so much better when Vilardi returns from injury. I certainly hope you are right but - the success of this line was based upon a very small number of games. Vilardi has played exceptionally well but it is asking an awful lot of him to prop up Connor/Scheifele against top quality opposition on a sustained basis. It will be exciting to see how this plays out for us. My view remains that the coach`s should be planning for options that separate Scheif and Connor.

Put Ehlers with Mark and Conner with Cole. Perfetti and Ehlers are elite play drivers and you don't really need two on one line. You can then add the size/grit/puck winning component with the third piece of each line. We have numerous options for that.

Nov 24, 2006
Put Ehlers with Mark and Conner with Cole. Perfetti and Ehlers are elite play drivers and you don't really need two on one line. You can then add the size/grit/puck winning component with the third piece of each line. We have numerous options for that.
I like the look of that.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
We see it, the numbers show it, yet with home ice advantage we still play our worst defensive forwards against the opponents' top offensive players. They get hemmed in and you can't produce from your own end. We can complain about Connor all we want but if you line him up against Panarin all night he's going to get exploited. If the coaches would accept what he is and use him to his strengths we wouldn't be talking about him.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We see it, the numbers show it, yet with home ice advantage we still play our worst defensive forwards against the opponents' top offensive players. They get hemmed in and you can't produce from your own end. We can complain about Connor all we want but if you line him up against Panarin all night he's going to get exploited. If the coaches would accept what he is and use him to his strengths we wouldn't be talking about him.

Very true. The second line handled Panarin just fine in the third period. Perhaps the coaching needs to trust Cole and Ehlers more.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
On the topic of the top line both Mark and Kyle are struggling to produce 5 on 5. Mark is producing at a third line rate and Conner a 4th line rate.

Just looking at the heat maps for the team really shed some light on this. Whether by design or an inability to get there our players aren't shooting from the high slot. That is generally where both Mark and Kyle score the vast majority of their goals as one shot scorers. So if they can't get to their office with any regularity the offense is going to dip as it has.

Our other lines are less dependent on sniping and tend to be ok living in the paint. As a result they've been more successful converting to date

I wonder if there may need to be a couple of tweaks in terms of systems for the 1st line in the offensive end to open up more slot looks.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Or put a guy who is a very good 2 way with kfc and they can make up for his shortcomings. He is one of our best offensive guys he doesn’t need the strongest offensive linemates. But yes moving him down to 2nd with names and perfetti and Ehlers up would work great and you can match either line up against top lines.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I'm not pining for Scheif - I just think he's playing a more complete game than last year regardless of the numbers in recent games.
When Vilardi returns, they could be good - no assumptions.

For now, they can pull out the blender - I'm all for it. But we also need to be careful - the team is playing well IMO.
Sometimes placeholders are the way to go if you don't want to disrupt a good thing - you just have to hold your nose.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Ehlers has 12 points and 7 of them are from 2017/18.
What does that have to do with Kyle Connor. Pointing out that another player is a shit playoff performer does not change the fact that Connor disappears in the playoffs.

If the only argument you have is that somebody else is worse than him then you really dont have any argument at all.

Feel free to have your own discussion about Ehlers but I am talking about Kyle Connor.

Reactions: DRW204

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Scheifele definitely appears to be trying to play a 2 way game, Connor is lost defensively, scheif has a clue, Kyle does not. They just don't work well together tho. I'd split them up. Rearrange the top 6 cuz the bottom group is fine right now

Iafallo Scheifele ehlers
Connor Perfetti Names

Or go loopy and call up Lambert
Connor Fetts Lambert.

Cuz need help there
Names isn't a top 6 guy.

Call up Lambert. Give him 5 games. Send him down. Call up Chibrikov for 5 games, back down, lucius zhilkin etc...

Reactions: sipowicz and GNP

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
What does that have to do with Kyle Connor. Pointing out that another player is a shit playoff performer does not change the fact that Connor disappears in the playoffs.

If the only argument you have is that somebody else is worse than him then you really dont have any argument at all.

Feel free to have your own discussion about Ehlers but I am talking about Kyle Connor.
Calm down 😆

I was adding to this:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231031_175547_Chrome.png
    Screenshot_20231031_175547_Chrome.png
    469 KB · Views: 2

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
When Vilardi gets back, he should line up as 2C with KFC on his left wing.

Perfetti Scheif Kup
KFC Volare Nino
Iafallo Names Ehlers
Barron Lowry Apples

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Calm down 😆

I was adding to this:
You replied to my comment, which had nothing to do with Ehlers. At no point did I bring up Ehlers or make a comment about him. Others brought up Ehlers to try and make a strawman argument to defend Connor but Ehlers has nothing to do with Connor.

Just because another player sucks in the playoffs doesn't change the fact that Kyle Connor is soft as shit and is not a playoff performer.

Reactions: DRW204

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
You replied to my comment, which had nothing to do with Ehlers. At no point did I bring up Ehlers or make a comment about him. Others brought up Ehlers to try and make a strawman argument to defend Connor but Ehlers has nothing to do with Connor.

Just because another player sucks in the playoffs doesn't change the fact that Kyle Connor is soft as shit and is not a playoff performer.
So your point is just Connor sucks? Why the focus on just him?
People are showing connor is not the best but his contribution is about the same as the rest of the team so should the jets blow the team up? They should just move connor even though he is on par with rest of the stars on team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad