Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation - Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
My problem with that is that the difference between #1 and #9 is not = to Buff. Buff for the #1 I would do. Buff + #9 for #1 + something substantial I would do ... depending on the something substantial.

I look at the averages here over the last decade and beyond, say 10-15 years, if you will. I ask myself, would I trade Byfuglien + the average type of player with the 9th pick for a top 2 centre, as I firmly believe Bennett or Reinhart will be, and that is a big yes for me. I understand why some think it's too much, but it's a deal I would do at one of the games most key, important roles and positions. You don't need a legit superstar, ask Boston (Krejci / Bergeron). Legit centres are hard to find and acquire when you are looking for them. I would personally be very comfortable with Scheifele and Reinhart. But, that's just me.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Agreed with your consensus about the top end of this draft. It's true that there is likely no Hall, Kane, Mckinnon or Tavaras level talent, but you are still likely walking away with a quality top line center.

For instance Bennett is my personal favorite and I may have sold him a bit short with Duchene. He's actually tracking closer to Seguin.

Draft year ppg:

Duchene 1.39 ppg
Bennett 1.6 ppg
Seguin 1.68 ppg

If we have the chance to draft a player that falls somewhere in-between Duchene and Seguin you take it imo especially considering Buff is only controlled for 2 more years.

Couldn't agree more with you. And I, like you, believe Bennett and Reinhart can and will be a legitimate player in the mentioned molds you presented. When you can get that, you have to pay a price for it, but you do it, in my opinion. Top centreman come at a premium whether you trade for them or sign them as UFA's. Paying the price via trade (Byfuglien + 9th overall) in order to draft one is costly, sure, but it's a price you pay, in my opinion.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's a lottery ticket, anything can happen. For example, if a team traded for the Avs 2014 1st round pick probably would've thought they'd be getting a top 10 pick. A team trading for Vancouver's 1st in 2014 pick wouldn't have expected the 6th overall pick.

2015 is a stronger draft, I'd rather have more forward thinking and stockpile for future. Just my opinion.

Its a lottery pick but only if it is from a non-playoff team. No one likely to have a top 10 pick is likely to trade next year's #1 pick for Buff. So maybe you get a 1% chance at next year's #1. This year's #1 OA will still likely get you a #1 C. If right here and now we could land a center that we can run us 3 solid C's for the foreseeable future we will be a much stronger team down the line.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
its a lottery pick but only if it is from a non-playoff team. No one likely to have a top 10 pick is likely to trade next year's #1 pick for buff. So maybe you get a 1% chance at next year's #1. This year's #1 oa will still likely get you a #1 c. If right here and now we could land a center that we can run us 3 solid c's for the foreseeable future we will be a much stronger team down the line.

....so you're saying there's a chance!!!

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I don't know what I think about Buff and our 9th for 1st. Buff for their first? Maybe.

I just think we can get more for Byfuglien.

(Buff + #9) for (#1 + #32) frees up the budget for July 1.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Trading Buff would also free up 5.2M (Assuming we don't keep any of his salary in the trade). Trading him + 9th for the first would also open up more freedom to get a few free agents.

Good point

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Trade Buff, to sign Stastny on July 1st?

Pick one of the SAMs at #1? Either would be fine with me.

Move Little to RW?

FA/Stastny/Wheeler
Ladd/Sam/Little
Kane/Scheif/Frolik

I give this 2% chance of actually happening.

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
I like Buff and want to keep him, but I'll use him as an example:

If Buff has a similar season this coming year, Would we get less if we traded him with 1 year left on contract, or even at trade deadline of his final year? Or is his trade value pretty much the same as if we traded him now with 2 years remaining? I ask because I remember years when teams gave up crazy amounts for players at the end of their contracts for playoff runs or in hopes to sign them to longer term deals.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Trade Buff, to sign Stastny on July 1st?

Pick one of the SAMs at #1? Either would be fine with me.

Move Little to RW?

FA/Stastny/Wheeler
Ladd/Sam/Little
Kane/Scheif/Frolik

I give this 2% chance of actually happening.

That would be beautiful. 3 dangerous offensive lines with incredible speed.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I look at the averages here over the last decade and beyond, say 10-15 years, if you will. I ask myself, would I trade Byfuglien + the average type of player with the 9th pick for a top 2 centre, as I firmly believe Bennett or Reinhart will be, and that is a big yes for me. I understand why some think it's too much, but it's a deal I would do at one of the games most key, important roles and positions. You don't need a legit superstar, ask Boston (Krejci / Bergeron). Legit centres are hard to find and acquire when you are looking for them. I would personally be very comfortable with Scheifele and Reinhart. But, that's just me.

On further thought I am coming around to agreeing but it may be a moot point. I think someone else has already offered more.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
If the FA is a gritty guy who can score, that would be a pretty formidable forward group.

Ever since it was discussed last week I've been pretty high on signing Raymond.

Slot him in for the FA and we have something.

With a D combo of:

Morrissey-Trouba
Enstrom-Bogo

...:yo:

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
If FLA would take Buff and the 9th for 1oa i think we have to take it.

I like Buff, and wouldn't mind him sticking around. But Reinhard or Bennett are likely to step in right away and contribute. As much as this isn't seen as an amazing draft... I feel pretty confident the top 4 guys will become very good players.

We would essentially have 3 really good centres locked up for a long time. Thats huge, plus extra cap room/money to fill voids throughout the roster. And another player that fits our timeline.

jetkarma*

If FLA would take Buff and the 9th for 1oa i think we have to take it.

I like Buff, and wouldn't mind him sticking around. But Reinhard or Bennett are likely to step in right away and contribute. As much as this isn't seen as an amazing draft... I feel pretty confident the top 4 guys will become very good players.

We would essentially have 3 really good centres locked up for a long time. Thats huge, plus extra cap room/money to fill voids throughout the roster. And another player that fits our timeline.

Don't think the trade for 1 OA is going to happen , but the thought is that Reinhardt is not at all a given to be in the NHL next year. Several scouts think he won't be fwiw. That doesn't take away from long term value of course.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
This Statsny thing is interesting. I don't think we will get him, nor do I think Chevy and company will want to overpay and cough up 7 mil for years and years of a 28 year old. Statsny to me, is basically another Bryan Little. Similar numbers, both good 2 way players, I would argue Statsny has a little more skill, but Little has a better overall game, making them fairly equal, Little is also 2 years younger on a bargain contract. It is just funny people are quick to call Little a 2C, but Statsny the missing 1C. I can't believe we are still having the debate on Little being a 1C. He is a solid (not super star) 1C. This is just the whole "new toy thing" Why would you pay Bryan Little 7-7.5 mil for 5+ years. Statsny will be making almost 3 mil more then Little, and by far be our highest paid forward, to be fairly equal to Little, and Wheeler's status. I say leave it and go for a cheaper solid 2B/3A guy. I just think it is silly to pay 7+ million to a 20-25 goal, 50-60 point player. Statsny = Little. Just gets more hype then Little.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
This Statsny thing is interesting. I don't think we will get him, nor do I think Chevy and company will want to overpay and cough up 7 mil for years and years of a 28 year old. Statsny to me, is basically another Bryan Little. Similar numbers, both good 2 way players, I would argue Statsny has a little more skill, but Little has a better overall game, making them fairly equal, Little is also 2 years younger on a bargain contract. It is just funny people are quick to call Little a 2C, but Statsny the missing 1C. I can't believe we are still having the debate on Little being a 1C. He is a solid (not super star) 1C. This is just the whole "new toy thing" Why would you pay Bryan Little 7-7.5 mil for 5+ years. Statsny will be making almost 3 mil more then Little, and by far be our highest paid forward, to be fairly equal to Little, and Wheeler's status. I say leave it and go for a cheaper solid 2B/3A guy. I just think it is silly to pay 7+ million to a 20-25 goal, 50-60 point player. Statsny = Little. Just gets more hype then Little.

Agreed. Especially since this hypothetical sign-Stastny/move-Little-to-right-wing scenario:

-It doesn't address an organizational need (LW, LD, G, forward depth) but does net us another top-six RW--it would be like having no food in the house and going shopping for beer instead.

-The idea that the Jets' main need is a 1C is a myth. (Unless that 1C can also play net ;)).

-I think the Jets should save their pennies and use them to get Ladd--who's probably willing to extend before UFA madness--to sign long term.

-Little is awesome. Who cares if no other fanbase knows it?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I agree and good comparison. But while Little and Statsny are technically a #1 C, neither is not the dominant, game changer up the middle that people think of when they talk about #1 centers. Guys that lead contenders like: Kopitar, Toews, Getzlaf, Crosby or the high end point producers like Stamkos and Tavares. That's why I'd prefer not to pick up Statsny if we had to pay him like one of those type of players.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I think that is a fair argument. The way I was looking at this yesterday was, if we did get Stastny, it wouldn't be for a contract that anyone considers good "value". We'd likely be paying close to 7, when he really deserves closer to 5.5.

So, is that extra 1.5 over his true worth, OK for the Jets? I think it could be. Picking up a top 6 forward at the cost of no assets going the other way is huge. A big net add to the lineup, and the assets vof the org (another guy that can be flipped down the road).

My only concerns would be obviously if Stastny took a decline (same as all players), but more importantly, how a contract like that affected the Jets down the road. Its a pretty high watermark, and I would hope it didn't affect the re signing of Ladd, and possibly Little and Wheeler down the road.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I think that is a fair argument. The way I was looking at this yesterday was, if we did get Stastny, it wouldn't be for a contract that anyone considers good "value". We'd likely be paying close to 7, when he really deserves closer to 5.5.

So, is that extra 1.5 over his true worth, OK for the Jets? I think it could be. Picking up a top 6 forward at the cost of no assets going the other way is huge. A big net add to the lineup, and the assets vof the org (another guy that can be flipped down the road).

My only concerns would be obviously if Stastny took a decline (same as all players), but more importantly, how a contract like that affected the Jets down the road. Its a pretty high watermark, and I would hope it didn't affect the re signing of Ladd, and possibly Little and Wheeler down the road.

And do you see a team that refuses to buy out Pavs, being a team that would overpay for someone?

And the point about the other players is valid. When teams go to sign players to a contract, its not just the value as compared to the rest of the league they worry about, its the value in their own dressing room. If you overpay for someone, that can skewer all you future signings. It is something to worry about.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
And do you see a team that refuses to buy out Pavs, being a team that would overpay for someone?

And the point about the other players is valid. When teams go to sign players to a contract, its not just the value as compared to the rest of the league they worry about, its the value in their own dressing room. If you overpay for someone, that can skewer all you future signings. It is something to worry about.

Tough to say CBC. They did step up to sign Enstrom, Little, Wheeler, and Bogo to long term deals. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad