Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation - Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Kesler for Bonino, Sbisa and 24th overall.

Don't think we'll be getting a windfall for Byfuglien if that is any indication of the market.

A pool of two possible buyers doesn't help the Canucks' situation much...

Edit:

Uh, what StronGeer said.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The more I think about it, the more I'm concerned. Burmi being out there for trade might mean all of the other avenues he is exploring aren't looking good. I think Chevy is trying but I think we are going to get into something very bad, like a long term expensive contract for a mediocre center.

I think its more that Burmie won't sign with us so might as well get something for him.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Kesler has a NTC and only was interested in 2 teams so that is a decent return if you can't shop a player.......I hate NTC they should be illegal IMHO

Teams that hand them out like candy really hurt themselves

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Unless the Jets are getting something worthwhile, still don't see why they would move him now.

Sure, someone can reply saying that anything is better than nothing. But in reality, mid round picks and up and extremely unlikely to amount to anything. The Jets can let Burmi play this next year in the KHL, and if he wants to come to the NHL at that point, deal him then. I would guess that Burmi's value next year when he can come over and play, would be worth more than now.

Bang on as usual Huffer!

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Kesler has a NTC and only was interested in 2 teams so that is a decent return if you can't shop a player.......I hate NTC they should be illegal IMHO

Teams that hand them out like candy really hurt themselves

What I don't understand is why a GM listens to the players demands if the player is the one who wants to get traded. If I was GM and player demands I trade I tell him I'll trade him for the best deal or not at all. Not just to a short list of teams he wants.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
I think that's a bit much. Who would trade a 3rd line NHL center for a 3rd line center who's playing in the KHL and may never return.

A team that's up against the cap. Something like Boston's Chris Kelly, for example, although I'd hope the Jets could get more than him for Burmistrov.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
What I don't understand is why a GM listens to the players demands if the player is the one who wants to get traded. If I was GM and player demands I trade I tell him I'll trade him for the best deal or not at all. Not just to a short list of teams he wants.

I totally agree with this...I get the concept of no-trade/no-move clauses to protect the player from the team doing something they said they wouldn't do, or shipping you elsewhere after you signed with them.

But, if you are the one going to the team to say you want out - then that should void or expand the NTC substantially in my opinion.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
How about Burmi's rights for Shaw and Versteeg cause I am nice

:handclap::handclap:

That might alleviate enough cap room for the hawks and give us a 3c and depth bottom 6 winger. I might give them a 4th round pick but nothing more.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

The GM listens because he has to. Ultimately the player has to sign off on any trade, so it is a waste of time for all parties involved to ignore the player's demands, regardless of how ridiculous or unreasonable they may be.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Then, as a GM, don't sign players and put stuff in their contracts that you know could come back to bite you in the butt some day.

On this I have no sympathy for the GM. If your the one who gives the player the contract that gives him his pick of 5 or 10 teams when he wants to be traded, then don't cry follow when the player uses that option that you gave him.

No different than handing out NTCs. If you don't like them don't give them out. I was reading that LA is the only team in the NHL that has no players with a NTC. I guess other than money, things like team lists and NTCs are the only thing GMs can do to entice players to sign I guess, but it will come back at you.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
The GM listens because he has to. Ultimately the player has to sign off on any trade, so it is a waste of time for all parties involved to ignore the player's demands, regardless of how ridiculous or unreasonable they may be.

He doesn't have to listen. In cases where its the player that wants the trade, not the team that wants to trade him teh GM doesn't have to oblidge and trade him. He has a contract.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Then, as a GM, don't sign players and put stuff in their contracts that you know could come back to bite you in the butt some day.

On this I have no sympathy for the GM. If your the one who gives the player the contract that gives him his pick of 5 or 10 teams when he wants to be traded, then don't cry follow when the player uses that option that you gave him.

No different than handing out NTCs. If you don't like them don't give them out. I was reading that LA is the only team in the NHL that has no players with a NTC. I guess other than money, things like team lists and NTCs are the only thing GMs can do to entice players to sign I guess, but it will come back at you.

I get what your saying but I think it should work differently when the player asks for a trade. I get they want to protect themselves if the team decides to trade them at some point since they have no control. But when they ask for the trade they handcuff the team. It should be written in the clause that if the team wants to trade said player its NTC or 5 team list. But if the player asks it should be 15 team NTC or NTC at all.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I get what your saying but I think it should work differently when the player asks for a trade. I get they want to protect themselves if the team decides to trade them at some point since they have no control. But when they ask for the trade they handcuff the team. It should be written in the clause that if the team wants to trade said player its NTC or 5 team list. But if the player asks it should be 15 team NTC or NTC at all.

The GM has that power. They can simply tell them you;re not getting traded unless you offer more options. Then its up to teh player to decide if he wants to get traded bad enough or not. Or ultimately not report and not get paid.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
He doesn't have to listen. In cases where its the player that wants the trade, not the team that wants to trade him teh GM doesn't have to oblidge and trade him. He has a contract.

I totally agree with you in principle, but at the end of the day, do you really want someone on your team that doesn't want to be there? No different than in any company or business. People that don't want to be there just don't give 100% effort no matter how much you pay them and they become a distraction to the people that want to be there.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The more I think about it, the more I'm concerned. Burmi being out there for trade might mean all of the other avenues he is exploring aren't looking good. I think Chevy is trying but I think we are going to get into something very bad, like a long term expensive contract for a mediocre center.

I think its more that Burmie won't sign with us so might as well get something for him.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
A team that's up against the cap.

[FONT=&quot]I'm not sure if someone has already mentioned this (as I don't have enough available time to read the entire thread right now), but you are spot on with this comment. Taking that further, and your comment out of its intended context with regards to Burmistrov specifically, in general I get the impression that the Jets would take on some salary risk right now if they were able to pick up a player they'd want. The cap was expected to be as high as $71 million but could eventually wind up as low as $68 million-ish; this would give the Jets an opportunity to use some of their free space to take advantage of a team up against the cap - like a Boston or Chicago for example. Hopefully they can pull something like that off over the next little while, and trade a "something" for something a bit more significant.[/FONT]

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
So Tessier is saying that two sources have indicated that it's Bogo that the Jets would rather move than Kane or Buff.

Interesting.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
So Tessier is saying that two sources have indicated that it's Bogo that the Jets would rather move than Kane or Buff.

Interesting.

I have a hard time believing that, but, I guess you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino