Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation - Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetkarma*

Surprised Lawless' latest tweet hasn't been discussed.

Chatter from whom?

Can see it may have some validity but I doubt Florida wants to drop to 9 . Buff would be a big immediate help though .

jetkarma*

Somehow I just can't find it in me to give a rat's *** what Kane does or says on twitter.

He seems very tech savvy so it probably isn't inadvertent , but i do that all the time scrolling , and un favour when I notice it . However it doesn't over worry me if that is the worst behavior we have to deal with .

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
If we're going to trade Buff and start Pavs all year, that pretty much says no playoffs. So in that case, I'd rather turn Buff into a 2015 1st.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't know what I think about Buff and our 9th for 1st. Buff for their first? Maybe.

I just think we can get more for Byfuglien.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I don't know what I think about Buff and our 9th for 1st. Buff for their first? Maybe.

I just think we can get more for Byfuglien.

I would do Buff & 9th pick for FL's 1st OA pick in a second. Long term it's better for us and the player we draft likely play this year on the team.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If we're going to trade Buff and start Pavs all year, that pretty much says no playoffs. So in that case, I'd rather turn Buff into a 2015 1st.

Except you're not going to be able to convert Buff into the 1st OA prior to next year's draft. Not even close. You might be able to get a package now that includes a team's first pick, but its likely only coming from teams that will be in the playoff hunt, not one of the bottom feeders that will have a chance at McJesus.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Some aren't overly excited about it, but I'd personally love it. I think a guy like Reinhart/Bennett (I think we would pick one of the centres) will both be very much so quality NHL centreman. I'd perhaps like something (a prospect) coming back our way in that deal, but overall, I'd be very happy.

Reinhart/Bennett may not have the flash and dash of some of the top picks in years past, but I am a firm believer both will be excellent centreman in the NHL.

My top choice is Sam Reinhart, i'd love to have him as a Winnipeg Jet for years to come.

Yup It would add a third young potential impact forward to our core to go with Scheifele and Kane. This along with potentially three young impact defenseman in Trouba, Morrissey and Bogo is a very strong young foundation. Coupled with some quality late 20's players and I think we'd make a lot of noise in a couple of years provided we'd solve our goaltending woes.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think its a long shot but who knows.
Perhaps we trade Kane, sign Stastny and move Little to wing?

Obviously having Stastny, Little and Schief down the middle would be great, but I'm not convinced that moving Little to the wing and playing O'Dell on the third line isn't a better option.

The statement the Wpg. needs a top 6 centre is incorrect. An upgrade never hurts but does that mean Scheifele plays on the 3rd line? Alternatively either Scheif or Little could play on the wing but they would both move to RW so they would still be on the 3rd line or Frolik would. I like Stastny but he isn't easy to shoehorn into the Jets line-up. After all that are we any better than we would have been?
Ladd - Stastny - Little
Kane - Scheifele - Wheeler
xxx - xxx - Frolik
Then Buff is back on D or is traded to fill in the xxxs so I guess it works. We are bigger at centre which is a good thing. The 1st line has a 2nd face-off man who works from the opposite side, good things. Little has outscored Stastny in each of the last 2 years though so lets not underrate Little as a 1C. It makes it that much easier to trade Buff because his wing is already filled. Stastny could move to LW & Little stay at centre if Kane is traded. Hmmmm .... does that make sense to anyone else? Get a top4 (maybe top 2) D + 3rd W/C + 2nd rd pick for Kane. Holes are being filled with good players but the moves are getting complicated.

Stastny - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ladd - Little - Frolik
Enstrom trade - Kane trade - Enstrom trade
Klingberg - Slater - O'Dell
Peluso

Kane trade - Bogo
Clitsome - Trouba
Stuart/Morrissey - Redmond/Postma
Ellerby

Goat-Lender
Hutch

Not enough for Enstrom? Get a #2 pick next year. Kane included a #2 this year. Could that line-up win in spite of goat-lending? The individuals returned in trade of Kane & Enstrom are not named but are assumed to constitute fair value for both sides.

I've kind of rambled on here. Just speculating what a UFA signing of an expensive player like Stastny might lead to. He would probably cost 7-7.5 x 7. Big bucks by the Jets standards but could be parlayed into instant contender but for goat-lending which could be solved quickly if the decision were made.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I would do Buff & 9th pick for FL's 1st OA pick in a second. Long term it's better for us and the player we draft likely play this year on the team.

Personally, I'd rather get a young roster forward for Buff and keep our 9th.

The top 3 picks in this years draft look good, but not great.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Except you're not going to be able to convert Buff into the 1st OA prior to next year's draft. Not even close. You might be able to get a package now that includes a team's first pick, but its likely only coming from teams that will be in the playoff hunt, not one of the bottom feeders that will have a chance at McJesus.

It's a lottery ticket, anything can happen. For example, if a team traded for the Avs 2014 1st round pick probably would've thought they'd be getting a top 10 pick. A team trading for Vancouver's 1st in 2014 pick wouldn't have expected the 6th overall pick.

2015 is a stronger draft, I'd rather have more forward thinking and stockpile for future. Just my opinion.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Buff to move up 8 spots? No thanks. The upgrade in talent From 9 to 1 in this draft isn't enough to warrant that IMO. The chance for a hit at 9 is only marginally worse than at 1. Buff is far too important a player for a move like that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Buff to move up 8 spots? No thanks. The upgrade in talent From 9 to 1 in this draft isn't enough to warrant that IMO. The chance for a hit at 9 is only marginally worse than at 1. Buff is far too important a player for a move like that.

I agree. The Jets should be able to get a good roster player and a prospect for Buff. I'm not that excited by the #1 pick this year.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree. The Jets should be able to get a good roster player and a prospect for Buff. I'm not that excited by the #1 pick this year.

I don't know, I think you get a Duchene type talent with Bennett and I'd be willing to pay that price for one. Although I'd like to get a depth piece thrown in.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Probably needs to be - $7M.

I'm betting on more plus 7 years. The money falls in value each time the cap goes up. He is 28 so a contract till he is 35 is not unreasonable and in 5-6-7 years 7.25 looks cheap. I'm not suggesting that is what the Jets should offer. I am saying whoever gets him will pay that. That lets Chicago out BTW, if they weren't already. St. Louis has a lot of cap space for a contending team with 19 guys under contract so they could afford to pay that quite easily. They do have to look ahead though. They have only 10 under contract for next year.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I don't know, I think you get a Duchene type talent with Bennett and I'd be willing to pay that price for one. Although I'd like to get a depth piece thrown in.

Bingo. Reinhart or Bennett in my opinion will be one of those guys, and from a very key position - centre. Truth be told, I think the "not as good as years prior" has really become the popular theme here with these guys, it's gotten just a bit out of hand in my opinion. Time will tell the tale here, it always does, but again, I am a firm believer in Reinhart/Bennett becoming very good NHL'e'rs at the centre position, and it's such a critical position for winning organizations.

I take the deal and don't think twice.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Bingo. Reinhart or Bennett in my opinion will be one of those guys, and from a very key position - centre. Truth be told, I think the "not as good as years prior" has really become the popular theme here with these guys, it's gotten just a bit out of hand in my opinion. Time will tell the tale here, it always does, but again, I am a firm believer in Reinhart/Bennett becoming very good NHL'e'rs at the centre position, and it's such a critical position for winning organizations.

Agreed

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Some aren't overly excited about it, but I'd personally love it. I think a guy like Reinhart/Bennett (I think we would pick one of the centres) will both be very much so quality NHL centreman. I'd perhaps like something (a prospect) coming back our way in that deal, but overall, I'd be very happy.

Reinhart/Bennett may not have the flash and dash of some of the top picks in years past, but I am a firm believer both will be excellent centreman in the NHL.

My top choice is Sam Reinhart, i'd love to have him as a Winnipeg Jet for years to come.

My problem with that is that the difference between #1 and #9 is not = to Buff. Buff for the #1 I would do. Buff + #9 for #1 + something substantial I would do ... depending on the something substantial.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Agreed with your consensus about the top end of this draft. It's true that there is likely no Hall, Kane, Mckinnon or Tavaras level talent, but you are still likely walking away with a quality top line center.

For instance Bennett is my personal favorite and I may have sold him a bit short with Duchene. He's actually tracking closer to Seguin.

Draft year ppg:

Duchene 1.39 ppg
Bennett 1.6 ppg
Seguin 1.68 ppg

If we have the chance to draft a player that falls somewhere in-between Duchene and Seguin you take it imo especially considering Buff is only controlled for 2 more years.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Just throwing this out about Buff.... Does anyone see Buff playing 5-6-7 years from now and being an affective player? To me the fact that he is such a big man, the wear and tear on a body that size, his questionable fitness commitment, the occasional knee tweak, etc...

He has 2 years left on his Jets contract, and JMO but I think these two years are it for Buff as far as being at the top of his game and it's probably going to start going down hill after that. Again my opinion, but I just feel now would be the best time to trade him to maximize his return. After this season we might get less, and after year two, he can walk and we get nothing.

The Jets talk about asset management and you can't let an asset like Buff walk for nothing. And sure two years from now he could re-sign with the Jets, but back to my original point... Will he be worth signing two years from now?

MrWigglez

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
My problem with that is that the difference between #1 and #9 is not = to Buff. Buff for the #1 I would do. Buff + #9 for #1 + something substantial I would do ... depending on the something substantial.

Trading Buff would also free up 5.2M (Assuming we don't keep any of his salary in the trade). Trading him + 9th for the first would also open up more freedom to get a few free agents.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's a lottery ticket, anything can happen. For example, if a team traded for the Avs 2014 1st round pick probably would've thought they'd be getting a top 10 pick. A team trading for Vancouver's 1st in 2014 pick wouldn't have expected the 6th overall pick.

2015 is a stronger draft, I'd rather have more forward thinking and stockpile for future. Just my opinion.

At some point the future has to become now. I don't believe there is any need to delay. It is close enough now that it is available with just a few good moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad