Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation - Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
We should get Subban, Stastny and ROR. I think that would help us.

Do you think MTL and Colorado would match 3 one million dollar offers?

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
I'm looking forward to the vitriol aimed at Chevy when Stastny signs elsewhere.
#whatdidchevydotoday :laugh:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think you're spot on.

I would think he's using other teams to squeeze the most possible dollars out of the Avs. We can dream, but reality will up and slap us in the face when he re-signs with Colorado.

While that's true, LeBrun just said on TV that Stastny's agent is telling the suitors that he's not taking a pay cut next season and so far the Avs offer is less than $6M. It's been rumoured they don't want to pay him more than Duchene. So something has to give.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Nice to hear if true. Chevy isn't looking to make a trade for the sake of making a trade:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Dan-Petriw/Deal-or-No-Deal/184/60869

"Winnipeg has looked like a good trade partner with the Islanders for some time but recent news leads me to believe that they will not strip down their roster and rebuild. The asking price for Evander Kane is high and rightfully so. I was told this morning that the Jets do not want to move him but they would entertain offers. These offers would have to include a first round pick, a top six forward and team’s top prospect. Also it appears that the Jets want to hold onto defenseman Dustin Byfuglien. "

I am happy to read about Kane but keeping Buff if true is beyond stupid. What is the end game, here? What do they think the org with accomplish with Byfuglien in the lineup in the next two years that is significant enough to lose an asset for nothing? A very attractive asset! If they keep Buff AND P***** is our starter then that is beyond incompetent.

They preach draft and develop in order to build up depth and control costs, and yet they would let assets just walk out the door. They pay guys who don't earn the money and negatively affect the teams chances to make the playoffs, make MORE money, and give our other players valuable experience.

It just reeks of incompetence. I do realize I am going off about something written on HockeyBuzz but the part that bugs me is that I could actually see that precise scenario play out.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I wish I wouldn't have wasted my time reading that. Tons of inaccuracies and seems to be written by someone who has a much lower level of understanding of the Jets and hockey in general.

The only thing they got right is Pavelec.

I thought their analysis of the issues was OK, but their solutions to the problems were horribad.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think this Kane Tweet fave thing is a huge overreaction.

Really surprised people would overreact to something to do with Kane, though :laugh:

The whole Kane drama since he has been here has really pissed me off. I've never seen a fan base so determined to chase off such a good young player before. It's embarrassing. I wonder what it would have been like for some of hockeys other greats throughout time if they were paid like current NHL'ers at the age they do and if social media and the internet was around. I can only imagine.

The thing I worry about is these people who feast on rumor, and innuendo, and making mountains out of molehills and focusing on every little thing a RICH YOUNG MAN does outside of the rink will finally get their way and actually run the guy out of town. The team suffers for it and all of the sane fans who get it end up paying for this gigantic high school like scenario.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am happy to read about Kane but keeping Buff if true is beyond stupid. What is the end game, here? What do they think the org with accomplish with Byfuglien in the lineup in the next two years that is significant enough to lose an asset for nothing? A very attractive asset! If they keep Buff AND P***** is our starter then that is beyond incompetent.

They preach draft and develop in order to build up depth and control costs, and yet they would let assets just walk out the doo
r. They pay guys who don't earn the money and negatively affect the teams chances to make the playoffs, make MORE money, and give our other players valuable experience.

It just reeks of incompetence. I do realize I am going off about something written on HockeyBuzz but the part that bugs me is that I could actually see that precise scenario play out.

I guess that depends on what Buffs intentions are. He's been seen hanging out with Ladd in BC. His Mom doesn't live to far from here in Minnesota. If he actually likes it here and is willing to reup there might be logic to keeping him in the hybrid situation. Granted the team will then have to find other means to fill out there holes. It seems that Chevy has been sniffing around some key FA so good news on that front. Granted my first inclination like you is to move him, but I would hope management has a good grasp on what his intentions are.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

They preach draft and develop in order to build up depth and control costs, and yet they would let assets just walk out the door. They pay guys who don't earn the money and negatively affect the teams chances to make the playoffs, make MORE money, and give our other players valuable experience.

Not disagreeing that possibly moving Buff if his value is high, but there could he a scenario that Buff re signs here and we have him to 35 or so.

Not saying that is the right way or not, but everyone on the roster doesn't have to necessarily be traded once they get close to 30. The ones that are not going to stay should be dealt for sure. Situations where you need to start over and rebuild, sure. But maybe Buff sticks around?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I guess that depends on what Buffs intentions are. He's been seen hanging out with Ladd in BC. His Mom doesn't live to far from here in Minnesota. If he actually likes it here and is willing to reup there might be logic to keeping him in the hybrid situation. Granted the team will then have to find other means to fill out there holes. It seems that Chevy has been sniffing around some key FA so good news on that front. Granted my first inclination like you is to move him, but I would hope management has a good grasp on what his intentions are.

IF Buff wanted to resign here that would make me warm up to the idea somewhat, but I still worry that Buff will not be able to keep his level of play up due to his size, knee issues and lack of dedication to fitness. Getting a good player that is 5 years younger than Buff who plays forward makes much more sense for the organization.

Not disagreeing that possibly moving Buff if his value is high, but there could he a scenario that Buff re signs here and we have him to 35 or so.

Not saying that is the right way or not, but everyone on the roster doesn't have to necessarily be traded once they get close to 30. The ones that are not going to stay should be dealt for sure. Situations where you need to start over and rebuild, sure. But maybe Buff sticks around?

I agree with keeping players past 30 if they look like they won't have steep decline. I would love to keep Ladd til he retires. Enstrom, if he can get some healthy seasons together I would love to see stay here past 30. Byfuglien just concerns me. I don't think he will be effective once he starts to decline, and I see that decline coming fast and hard.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Agreed, Jet. Buff would be perfect in a 'win now' model, as I expect his decline to start once he hits 29. He'll be a hard man to move off the puck still, but I forsee a lot of hip, groin, and knee problems for him in the future. I love Buff for what he brings, but his value will likely be on another team.

Then again, Zdeno Chara is like 39 (not really lol) and is still playing a high calibre of hockey.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Agreed, Jet. Buff would be perfect in a 'win now' model, as I expect his decline to start once he hits 29. He'll be a hard man to move off the puck still, but I forsee a lot of hip, groin, and knee problems for him in the future. I love Buff for what he brings, but his value will likely be on another team.

Then again, Zdeno Chara is like 39 (not really lol) and is still playing a high calibre of hockey.

Chara is extremely fit.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I think you're spot on.

I would think he's using other teams to squeeze the most possible dollars out of the Avs. We can dream, but reality will up and slap us in the face when he re-signs with Colorado.

I'd rather make a play for ROR.

nope.
pretty certain the Avs ship has sailed. their management's screwed up a few signings. Stasny's not happy with how they handled this.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I agree with keeping players past 30 if they look like they won't have steep decline. I would love to keep Ladd til he retires. Enstrom, if he can get some healthy seasons together I would love to see stay here past 30. Byfuglien just concerns me. I don't think he will be effective once he starts to decline, and I see that decline coming fast and hard.

That's valid. It just seems like sometimes the automatic assumption sometimes is that we need to move everyone once they get close to 30.

For sure if a guy is going to bolt, or in this case if you are unsure about a guy staying at a high level, I would think you move on.

Just thinking that if a guy is wanting to stay, and will re sign at a good rate, maybe its also a valid plan to keep them around and have them become the supporting cast.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed, I think Chipman and Chevy are going to grow tired of this sort of BS with him, if he doesn't want to be here then there's the door. He's going to get trade either at the draft or before the season or before this seasons trade deadline. It's going to happen.

What exactly is the sort of BS you are referring to?

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Surprised Lawless' latest tweet hasn't been discussed.

Some aren't overly excited about it, but I'd personally love it. I think a guy like Reinhart/Bennett (I think we would pick one of the centres) will both be very much so quality NHL centreman. I'd perhaps like something (a prospect) coming back our way in that deal, but overall, I'd be very happy.

Reinhart/Bennett may not have the flash and dash of some of the top picks in years past, but I am a firm believer both will be excellent centreman in the NHL.

My top choice is Sam Reinhart, i'd love to have him as a Winnipeg Jet for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad