Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Uh what?
Perhaps look at past trades.
Just google the trades for each year and see what the deals are.
Paul Gaustad=1st round pick.
Rentals=1st round picks

I'm not arguing either way but you shouldn't use the Gaustad trade as a benchmark for what players are worth. Buffalo got more than anybody dreamed they could have. It was a terrible, terrible trade on Nashville's part.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Honest question Bob, What young, goalies do you have in mind in return for Buff?

First, which teams may want Buff for a cup run? Those teams would need to have a solid leadership group in place, where Buff doesn't need to take on that role. He can just come in and play, his game. The team would also need to have a solid defence, or stay-at-home dman they could pair with Buff. They would also have to have a relatively young goalie as their starter, so losing a young goalie isn't that big a concern.

IMO, that includes:

• Chicago
  • Anaheim
  • Boston
  • Pittsburgh
  • San Jose
  • LA

From that list of teams, I like Andersen or Gibson from Ducks, Jones from LA, or Subban from Bruins.

A Buff deal would likely include picks, prospects, and maybe a young roster player. If you can get a good young tender, as part of that package, that might make sense too.

Edit: for instance, would a deal comprising of Buff (and Burmi or goalie prospect?) to Ducks for John Gibson, Smith-Pelly, Stefan Noesen, and Anaheim's 2014 1st be good value?

Last edited:

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not arguing either way but you shouldn't use the Gaustad trade as a benchmark for what players are worth. Buffalo got more than anybody dreamed they could have. It was a terrible, terrible trade on Nashville's part.

Right.
Overpayments don't count. Got it.
Trade happened. Teams make mistakes, its about being the team that capitalizes on those mistakes.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg

Isn't that the year the they went to the conference finals? They wanted to go on a run and rolled the dice. I don't know how you can classify that as bad tho.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Isn't that the year the they went to the conference finals? They wanted to go on a run and rolled the dice. I don't know how you can classify that as bad tho.

It was their last Gaurenteed year with Weber and Suter so they took their shot. I thought it was a good idea at the time because you only get so many legit shots.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
It was their last Gaurenteed year with Weber and Suter so they took their shot. I thought it was a good idea at the time because you only get so many legit shots.

Thats what I think as well. If the Jets are in that situation I'd hope they take their shot as well to win the cup.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
From that list of teams, I like Andersen or Gibson from Ducks, Jones from LA, or Subban from Bruins.

A Buff deal would likely include picks, prospects, and maybe a young roster player. If you can get a good young tender, as part of that package, that might make sense too.

Edit: for instance, would a deal comprising of Buff (and Burmi or goalie prospect?) to Ducks for John Gibson, Smith-Pelly, Stefan Noesen, and Anaheim's 2014 1st be good value?

If that's all that's coming back the other way then the Jets are better off keeping Buff. I doubt Chevy is about to trade Buff for a bunch of unproven prospectish players. At least not until trade deadline 2016.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
First, which teams may want Buff for a cup run? Those teams would need to have a solid leadership group in place, where Buff doesn't need to take on that role. He can just come in and play, his game. The team would also need to have a solid defence, or stay-at-home dman they could pair with Buff. They would also have to have a relatively young goalie as their starter, so losing a young goalie isn't that big a concern.

IMO, that includes:

• Chicago
  • Anaheim
  • Boston
  • Pittsburgh
  • San Jose
  • LA

LA, Boston and Chicago do not have the cap room or desire for a defenseman, particularly of Byfuglien's style.

I don't think San Jose or Pittsburgh would have cap room. I don't think Anaheim would have budget room (they are a pretty strict budget team, their income is bottom 5 in NHL).

I would consider that offer though. Gibson is a top end prospect, Smith-Pelley is a meh depth piece, Noesen and 1st are decent enough young pieces. I'd be ok with the deal, to be honest. Not a bad package, don't know if a budget team is going to get rid of that many young pieces for Buff though.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If that's all that's coming back the other way then the Jets are better off keeping Buff. I doubt Chevy is about to trade Buff for a bunch of unproven prospectish players. At least not until trade deadline 2016.

Would be interesting to know what Buff's market value actually is.

We can speculate, but it would interesting to know what the potential return actually is, and when the best time to trade him is (if that is what TNSE wants to do).

I see a fit with the Ducks as they have goaltending and winger depth and 2 1st rd picks this year, but lack size, physicality and offence from its d core. But a move like what I suggested means TNSE is rebuilding the roster with solid youth and depth, but is two years away from being close to playoff contention.

Since Chevy really hasn't made a move with a core player, other than resign them long-term, it's hard to know what he would look for if he did move one... A) one or two established NHL players to add to their core, or B) youth, prospects and picks to build depth and hopefully hit a home run with a player or two that later becomes part of their core - but, down the road.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
LA, Boston and Chicago do not have the cap room or desire for a defenseman, particularly of Byfuglien's style.

I don't think San Jose or Pittsburgh would have cap room. I don't think Anaheim would have budget room (they are a pretty strict budget team, their income is bottom 5 in NHL).

I would consider that offer though. Gibson is a top end prospect, Smith-Pelley is a meh depth piece, Noesen and 1st are decent enough young pieces. I'd be ok with the deal, to be honest. Not a bad package, don't know if a budget team is going to get rid of that many young pieces for Buff though.

Agree that LA wouldn't likely be a trading partner. Their d is pretty solid and deep - and Sutter would likely blow a gasket if he had to coach Buff.

But, nearer to the deadline, Chicago may have interest, but would likely want him as a winger not a dman. If Bickell gets injured, he might move up on their wish list.

Boston may be looking for a dman. They have some injury issues. But Buff's style isn't really a match, I agree. But you never know with Chiarelli.

Ducks seems to be best fit. Maybe San Jose, but Dan Boyle fills what Buff would. Philly could also be a fit, though I don't think they want to move pieces to get Buff, when they've improved their play and record in last month or so.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If you want a young goalie, how about Vasilevski? He's pretty close to being nhl ready despite his young age. Tampa has Bishop now so he should be available.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Right.
Overpayments don't count. Got it.
Trade happened. Teams make mistakes, its about being the team that capitalizes on those mistakes.

Yes, exactly. It was a mistake which is why it shouldn't be a benchmark. It was an overpayment, which is why it isn't the norm. The average value of a 1st rounder isn't Paul Gaustad.

jetkarma*

So much for Cogliano , he was resigned and to good terms for ANA imo . He's had a really good year.

Doesn't look like much will be there in FA.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Quick question fellas. Wheeler or Little for my points based keeper league now and moving forward.

Cheers. :)

Wheeler, no question.

Little is overachieving this season. He'll produce decent numbers for the foreseeable future, but Wheeler is the better player for fantasy purposes.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
If you want a young goalie, how about Vasilevski? He's pretty close to being nhl ready despite his young age. Tampa has Bishop now so he should be available.

Pass. TB spent a first-rounder on him, he won't come cheap.

If we're talking goalie prospects that will come relatively cheap from a team with goaltending depth, how about working out a deal with the Habs for Dustin Tokarski? It's really strange that he hasn't been given a true shot yet, and I can't believe the Habs got him from the Bolts for Cedrick Desjardins.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Why trade for a minor league goalie when you got a guy like Pasquale with very good numbers in the minors already?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

If we got a goalie I'd want to make damn sure he can already play well at the NHL level. Vasi looks great, but he's still no guarantee.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

IMO, that includes:

• Chicago
  • Anaheim
  • Boston
  • Pittsburgh
  • San Jose
  • LA

How about teams that may not be true cup contenders like the above, but teams that are making a push for the playoffs in general?

Teams like the Flyers, Rangers, Leafs or Wings?

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada

IMO, that includes:

• Chicago
  • Anaheim
  • Boston
  • Pittsburgh
  • San Jose
  • LA

Thank you for the answer Bob. I hope I didn't come across as rude because I honestly don't know much about other young goalies. I like that deal with Anaheim though.

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
How about teams that may not be true cup contenders like the above, but teams that are making a push for the playoffs in general?

Teams like the Flyers, Rangers, Leafs or Wings?

Sure, they may be interested in Buff, too. Maybe add Carolina to the mix, too. Though, I'm sure Carlyle and the Leafs would lose patience with Buff real quick.

The Rangers would be a team that could use some offence from their back end, but I'm not sure they have the pieces the Jets would want in return.

I've thought the Flyers were always the best trading partner for the Jets with Buff, and their slow start seemed to point in that direction. With their improved play, now wouldn't be a good time to make a deal, IMO. Less likely to trade players and top prospects for Buff- why disrupt a winning formula.

The Ducks seem to be a better fit, to me. Though there is that Western Conference thing.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Thank you for the answer Bob. I hope I didn't come across as rude because I honestly don't know much about other young goalies. I like that deal with Anaheim though.

Not at all.

IMO, if you build a team from the net out, then an upgrade is needed to our group. If you can get a very good young goalie, like Gibson, I think that's a move you seriously look at making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad