Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I personally think Byfuglien would make a much better forward than a dman, how about the following:

Jets get: Edler a top 2 LH dman with a big shot and size and signed for 4 more years beyond this year at a very reasonable $5 million per

Canucks get; Byfuglien signed for 2 more years beyond this year and play him at RW as long is he is willing to accept playing there.

Winnipeg gets a longer contract at a lower price and Vancouver gets a slightly higher contract at shorter length.

Frankly, Byfuglien is just straight up worth more than Edler. They're both players with problems in the defensive end except Byfuglien gets more done on the offensive side.

Vancouver would be adding either a very good prospect or 1st rounder to that deal.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Hey guys Wild fan here, quick question, how do you believe the management and how do yourselfs(fans) feel about Burmivstrov and the situation with your team? are you looking to move him? if so, would it actually be a realistic move? (IE: your not asking for our prospects in the NHL right now.) We need a more skilled top6 center and this could be our way of getting one. thanks!

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Hey guys Wild fan here, quick question, how do you believe the management and how do yourselfs(fans) feel about Burmivstrov and the situation with your team? are you looking to move him? if so, would it actually be a realistic move? (IE: your not asking for our prospects in the NHL right now.) We need a more skilled top6 center and this could be our way of getting one. thanks!

Perhaps, but I would hazard to guess that moving him inside the Central is highly unlikely. Not quite 'pigs flying', but it's not as though the Jets are at a point where they are motivated Burmistrov sellers.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind

You can have him for nothing.
He is all yours, and if you are looking for a top 6 forward you will be thoroughly disappointed.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I personally think Byfuglien would make a much better forward than a dman, how about the following:

Jets get: Edler a top 2 LH dman with a big shot and size and signed for 4 more years beyond this year at a very reasonable $5 million per

Canucks get; Byfuglien signed for 2 more years beyond this year and play him at RW as long is he is willing to accept playing there.

Winnipeg gets a longer contract at a lower price and Vancouver gets a slightly higher contract at shorter length.

I'd do that deal.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
He is all yours, and if you are looking for a top 6 forward you will be thoroughly disappointed.

yeah, the Jets are so good they can just give young assets away for nothing. Put the personal #### aside.
It's in the team's best interest to bring him back even if it's just to restore some value/trade him down the line.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Ummmm... I know that some fans are miffed at Burmistrov but why would the Jets want to throw away any asset for nothing? :help:

If Burmistrov heads back to the NHL he is at least a third line asset. I'd be beyond annoyed if the Jets don't get some compensation for him.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Ummmm... I know that some fans are miffed at Burmistrov but why would the Jets want to throw away any asset for nothing? :help:

If Burmistrov heads back to the NHL he is at least a third line asset. I'd be beyond annoyed if the Jets don't get some compensation for him.

Yeah, Burmi's a third line center pretty easily and if he matures a bit more and gets in the right situation, conceivably a second line center. Plus he's good on the PK, so let's not just throw away the asset here. He is a former first round pick, whether you like him or not, at the moment he opted to go play in his home country, possibly nothing much more than that. That's a very reasonable asset to try and get a return on.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I wonder if the Wild (or any other interested team) could offer-sheet him this summer. Jets might match up to $2.5 million (?) but they might let him go and all that the signing team gives back is a 2nd round pick. Might be worth it for a team to try it if Jets won't take a conditional 2nd for his rights...

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I wonder if the Wild (or any other interested team) could offer-sheet him this summer. Jets might match up to $2.5 million (?) but they might let him go and all that the signing team gives back is a 2nd round pick. Might be worth it for a team to try it if Jets won't take a conditional 2nd for his rights...

He'd have to sign it first.

Also...considering he signed a two year contract he can't return until thats up regardless, in which case he will probably come back to the Jets.

Reading between the lines, I think its pretty clear that the Jets knew that Burmi was going to go, and while they may never say this they probably encouraged it a little bit. It was pretty clear that he needed more development and he needed to find his confidence to be able to play that top six role in the NHL.

I've said this all along, but there is more to this story then just "Burmi bolting".

jetkarma*

I don't know this but I strongly feel that if it was wanted badly enough the contract with the KHL could be circumvented . They play by different rules there and I could see that "somehow" an out after one year just became available.If not , there definitely is one for next year.

H & L played a bit of a Chevy interview this afternoon , and the thing that struck me was that once again Chevy talked about assets. He knows in order to get this team to and to stay at a level where we are a serious playoff team we need more assets.

Simply put , the most likely way that happens is through draft picks and strong drafting. So we won't just let Burmistrov go or not use him as an asset. Just won't happen , period. He will use the assets we have to get assets that will help on the ice , we aren't going to let them just get away , whether it is actually Burmistrov or what he returns , it will be an asset we retain in some form

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He'd have to sign it first.

Also...considering he signed a two year contract he can't return until thats up regardless, in which case he will probably come back to the Jets.

Reading between the lines, I think its pretty clear that the Jets knew that Burmi was going to go, and while they may never say this they probably encouraged it a little bit. It was pretty clear that he needed more development and he needed to find his confidence to be able to play that top six role in the NHL.

I've said this all along, but there is more to this story then just "Burmi bolting".

....and as I have maintained, the Jets couldn't really fit him under the salary cap this year.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting Pierre Lebrun who i have all day for was on H&L today at 4:30 and they got talking about the Jets and Pierre said two interesting things....Lawlwss asked him what he is hearing from other teams on the Jets and Pierre said not much but that they may make a trade this summer.

Then Lawless was saying we will have to draft and develop because no big free agents will come into this mess in Winnipeg and Pierre said "well you might count that as a blessing" and continued to say "ask Toronto how happy they are with the Clarkson deal right now"! Pierre said one high profile very good GM said that he avoids July 1st now because the market has dried up and is overpriced. I heard Jim Nill say just as much when he was hired on Dallas he said they view the future of free agency being a non factor as far as adding talent.

I would counter that all markets are cyclical in nature and when the cap goes away up we might find more guys testing the market but that could be years.

Food for thought and note to posters......there are probably no quick fixes via UFA anymore just complimentary pieces.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting Pierre Lebrun who i have all day for was on H&L today at 4:30 and they got talking about the Jets and Pierre said two interesting things....Lawlwss asked him what he is hearing from other teams on the Jets and Pierre said not much but that they may make a trade this summer.

Then Lawless was saying we will have to draft and develop because no big free agents will come into this mess in Winnipeg and Pierre said "well you might count that as a blessing" and continued to say "ask Toronto how happy they are with the Clarkson deal right now"! Pierre said one high profile very good GM said that he avoids July 1st now because the market has dried up and is overpriced. I heard Jim Nill say just as much when he was hired on Dallas he said they view the future of free agency being a non factor as far as adding talent.

I would counter that all markets are cyclical in nature and when the cap goes away up we might find more guys testing the market but that could be years.

Food for thought and note to posters......there are probably no quick fixes via UFA anymore just complimentary pieces.

When you look at what UFA's went for what last summer, there is not much I'd want at the prices and terms they got.

jetkarma*

Heard that as well.

We should pretty much anticipate there will no FA signings , at least ones of any major impact. Just isn't going to happen . Chevy mentioned FA in his interview they replayed and said you look but ... you could hear what he meant.

It's going to be get draft picks , draft well , use those picks to help the roster , to get more assets and build from there with good trades when they present themselves. It isn't quick , it isn't splashy , but it is the only way we will get to be a strong perennial playoff team imo .

So I would anticipate we move some expiring contracts for picks or young prospects and then work the draft much like we did last year. We have to hope we do that better than most , and that is entirely possible. I am certain Chevy knows that is our key , his key , so it is the one area we need to be strong in the most.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I still think we should be fairly active in free agency, but I don't expect them to ever make a huge splash signing. I was surprised with Jokinens signing. That could turn out quite well, he has filled a hole for 2 years and we could get a couple picks for him.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
I think the comments were more geared as saying we wont build the team through free agency and may not acquire top end talent with them either not wanting to come here, or being paid more than they're worth

IMO we should still try and be active in free agency. Outside of our top 6 our forward depth is attrocious... Drafting takes time. If we could plug in a few more serviceable pieces it could go along way

Realistically if Seto and Jokinen had become what we had hoped, we would be a stronger team. They tried to fill the gaps, but it didnt pan out. I hope they continue to try and not just rely strictly on the draft to improve the roster. By the time our picks and prospects are making an impact (if they do) - our core will be nearing the end of their terms.

jetkarma*

LeBrun also said he heard Winnipeg expressed in interest in Martin Erat but that Erat said he wasn't interested in coming to Winnipeg.

Like it or not that comes into play for Winnipeg.

I don't doubt we have a plan for FA which I believe would be to get better support players at the bottom of the lineup. Honestly we should be able to improve there almost without trying. But let's try. It looks like the prospects than can fill those spots won't be ready for a year plus. So we do need to do something to better the bottom 6 for next season .

I hope we trade as many ufa's as we can . Perhaps only keep Jokinen if we get the contract we like and Jokinen wants to be here. I would like to think Hainsey didn't go last year for the same reason he signed so late this year. I would not like to see us hang on to Seto , Stuart , Thorburn or Jokinen and get nothing . It isn't tanking , not at all , but we need assets in return.

We have always heard to be fair , that drafting and developing was the key. We hear it every time , unwavering , clear. We hear it now ,like most this is the key for this franchise , just more so here than most. It looks like we could have a very lucrative draft from last year , , good drafting? I sure hope so , I think so. We also had a lot of extra picks which allowed us to get Frolik and more draft picks. Like Chevy likes to always say "assets".

Those expiring players have to be turned into assets imo , hopefully the tight races will make it a seller's market. Not that anyone wishes for injuries , that is coming into lay now and could for the trade deadline. At least two have to be moved , at the least.

I think we see both a new coach and a major trade in the off season . It has to be a trade Chevy feels we win though , and that won't be at the deadline I don't believe . For me Scheifele , Kane and Trouba are virtually unavailable. Anyone else I would not say no , providing it is the right deal of course.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
when it comes to UFAs I'd rather the team try and find undervalued players rather than bigger names (I might make an exception if Stastny would be willing to come here)

I thought MacT made a solid signing in getting Boyd Gordon but like any FA had to pay a bit too much for him, but paying a little too much for a 3C is certainly easier on the org than overpaying a top 6 forward. He also paid Ference and tried to sign Clarkson so there's that :P

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
When you look at what UFA's went for what last summer, there is not much I'd want at the prices and terms they got.

That's because the latest free agent markets have been garbage. Teams are retaining their franchise players, so the only players making it to free agency are middle of the road players, or first liners with major flaws and/or concerns. Clarkson got what he got because he was deemed to be amongst the best of the free agent crop, but that doesn't mean he's worth that kind of money. Assuming this trend continues, draft/development and a few savvy trades, while avoiding the high profile UFA's like crazy will be what separates the contenders from the poor performers.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
There are value UFA's though. That's where a smart team will add pieces to the core they built by drafting, developing and trading.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
My armchair GM motto:

Draft for talent, trade from strength to shore up weakness, + sign UFA's to fill roles/holes.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
LeBrun also said he heard Winnipeg expressed in interest in Martin Erat but that Erat said he wasn't interested in coming to Winnipeg.

Like it or not that comes into play for Winnipeg.

I don't doubt we have a plan for FA which I believe would be to get better support players at the bottom of the lineup. Honestly we should be able to improve there almost without trying. But let's try. It looks like the prospects than can fill those spots won't be ready for a year plus. So we do need to do something to better the bottom 6 for next season .

I hope we trade as many ufa's as we can . Perhaps only keep Jokinen if we get the contract we like and Jokinen wants to be here. I would like to think Hainsey didn't go last year for the same reason he signed so late this year. I would not like to see us hang on to Seto , Stuart , Thorburn or Jokinen and get nothing . It isn't tanking , not at all , but we need assets in return.

We have always heard to be fair , that drafting and developing was the key. We hear it every time , unwavering , clear. We hear it now ,like most this is the key for this franchise , just more so here than most. It looks like we could have a very lucrative draft from last year , , good drafting? I sure hope so , I think so. We also had a lot of extra picks which allowed us to get Frolik and more draft picks. Like Chevy likes to always say "assets".

Those expiring players have to be turned into assets imo , hopefully the tight races will make it a seller's market. Not that anyone wishes for injuries , that is coming into lay now and could for the trade deadline. At least two have to be moved , at the least.

I think we see both a new coach and a major trade in the off season . It has to be a trade Chevy feels we win though , and that won't be at the deadline I don't believe . For me Scheifele , Kane and Trouba are virtually unavailable. Anyone else I would not say no , providing it is the right deal of course.

He can stay in a situation he's unhappy in if that's the case. I honestly don't think I'd be interested in Erat anyways.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
He can stay in a situation he's unhappy in if that's the case. I honestly don't think I'd be interested in Erat anyways.

The Jets going after him makes no sense on any level. He's 32, his cap hit is $4.5 million and he kinda sucks. He demanded to be traded out of Nashville and he's demanded to be traded out of Washington less than a year later - but not to Winnipeg, apparently? Couldn't beat out 42 year old Petr Nedved for the Czech Olympic team. I hope he enjoys his buyout this summer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille