Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazaaa*

The Jets going after him makes no sense on any level. He's 32, his cap hit is $4.5 million and he kinda sucks. He demanded to be traded out of Nashville and he's demanded to be traded out of Washington less than a year later - but not to Winnipeg, apparently? Couldn't beat out 42 year old Petr Nedved for the Czech Olympic team. I hope he enjoys his buyout this summer...

I still can't believe Washington gave up Forsberg for Erat.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
My armchair GM motto:

Draft for talent, trade from strength to shore up weakness, + sign UFA's to fill roles/holes.

Very nice motto ducky but Chevy's and the Jets motto is draft and hope to get lucky.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I don't know this but I strongly feel that if it was wanted badly enough the contract with the KHL could be circumvented . They play by different rules there and I could see that "somehow" an out after one year just became available.If not , there definitely is one for next year.

H & L played a bit of a Chevy interview this afternoon , and the thing that struck me was that once again Chevy talked about assets. He knows in order to get this team to and to stay at a level where we are a serious playoff team we need more assets.

Simply put , the most likely way that happens is through draft picks and strong drafting. So we won't just let Burmistrov go or not use him as an asset. Just won't happen , period. He will use the assets we have to get assets that will help on the ice , we aren't going to let them just get away , whether it is actually Burmistrov or what he returns , it will be an asset we retain in some form

if cheveldayoff wanted assets he should have dealt welwood in 2011-12 when he was playing a rejuvenated game. I am sure there was a return then. Same could have been said for Antropov and Hainsey. I am sure they could have gotten some sort of a draft choice in return. Definitely wasted opportunities for assets.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
i just read on tsn about toronto willing to part with gardiner or kadri if carlyle wont use them and their desire to acquire a top blue liner.

Would it be beneficial for winnipeg to move byfuglien in a deal to acquire one of those two? who would fit in better with this team?

also I read about teams wanting to make a move to acquire Jokinen and Setoguchi.

What is a reasonable return at the deadline for either of them?

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
i just read on tsn about toronto willing to part with gardiner or kadri if carlyle wont use them and their desire to acquire a top blue liner.

Would it be beneficial for winnipeg to move byfuglien in a deal to acquire one of those two? who would fit in better with this team?

also I read about teams wanting to make a move to acquire Jokinen and Setoguchi.

What is a reasonable return at the deadline for either of them?

You might be able to swing both for Buff depending on how desperate Toronto is, but I don't think it's really a good fit for the Jets for many reasons.

Kadri has already been discussed at length. While it would be beneficial to have another (somewhat) talented centre, there are a few drawbacks including size and attitude. Kadri certainly doesn't fit the organisational mold around here.

Gardiner has certain appeal due to our lack of LHD, but in terms of talent he wouldn't rank too much higher than some of the bodies we already have around. Toronto would have to add substantially if we were moving Buff for Gardiner.

At the end of the day Toronto has many of the same needs we do, so we aren't good trade partners atm.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
if cheveldayoff wanted assets he should have dealt welwood in 2011-12 when he was playing a rejuvenated game. I am sure there was a return then. Same could have been said for Antropov and Hainsey. I am sure they could have gotten some sort of a draft choice in return. Definitely wasted opportunities for assets.

I don't exactly disagree, but Antro was injured at the time and I think the team really believed they were going to squeak into the playoffs. In hindsight they should have moved Hainsey, but I think we'd all be calling for Chevy's head, had he moved Hainsey and then we made the playoffs. Just look how much Bogo is missing Hainsey during regular season play.

jetkarma*

Hainsey sat for months with no interest and the other two aren't in the league for a reason.

Let's see if we get assets this deadline.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Hainsey sat for months with no interest and the other two aren't in the league for a reason.

Let's see if we get assets this deadline.

To be fair, on the main board there was a best/worst FA signings thread. Hainsey got votes for top 5 best signing. We really don't know why he wasn't signed to the end. It was speculated he wanted to be on the east coast, so teams may have been interested and he was being selective.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
The more time that goes by and the more Bernier solidifies himself as Toronto'a #1 goalie, the more I think we're going to swing a trade for Reimer.

Using the Bernier deal as a comparable, I'm guessing we'll have to give up something like O'Dell + Kasdorf/Hellebuyck/Olkinoura(sp?).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
To be fair, on the main board there was a best/worst FA signings thread. Hainsey got votes for top 5 best signing. We really don't know why he wasn't signed to the end. It was speculated he wanted to be on the east coast, so teams may have been interested and he was being selective.

I think that we need to remember how tight so many teams are with the salary cap in this past off-season. The Jets ended up just under after re-signing their RFAs, and many teams are right up to the cap. Next year with the cap going up I see more trade movement in the off-season and more interest in UFAs.

bazaaa*

The more time that goes by and the more Bernier solidifies himself as Toronto'a #1 goalie, the more I think we're going to swing a trade for Reimer.

Using the Bernier deal as a comparable, I'm guessing we'll have to give up something like O'Dell + Kasdorf/Hellebuyck/Olkinoura(sp?).

God no.

But why would we? Why give up anything when we really have no shot at making the playoffs? Why throw away assets?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
God no.

But why would we? Why give up anything when we really have no shot at making the playoffs? Why throw away assets?

Reimer's an RFA this summer - his value is approximately a 2nd round pick. There will be lots of other options at G available as well.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Would Nikita Nikitin be a worthwhile addition next season, if the Jets could sign him at a reasonable price as a UFA?

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think a trade of Buff for Gardiner, Reimer, ++, would be interesting, but I can't figure out the plus and I can't figure out how Leafs get Buff under the cap.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I think a trade of Buff for Gardiner, Reimer, ++, would be interesting, but I can't figure out the plus and I can't figure out how Leafs get Buff under the cap.

Aw, poor Buff. Could you imagine the heat he'd take in Toronto if he ended up there?

Don't really want Reimer. More inclined to see if the Ducks would part with someone. Or maybe Chicago will swoon to Chevy's charms again and we can get Raanta.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Would Nikita Nikitin be a worthwhile addition next season, if the Jets could sign him at a reasonable price as a UFA?

As a player, yes I'd add him. However Nikitin notoriously hasn't been able to learn english, even after 5-6 years in North America. Unless the Jets add another Russian as a translator, Nikitin is not somebody that would be wanted here, IMO.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Anyone listening to the round table today? I didn't hear this part but a guy I am working with mentioned that they were discussing that there are proposal packages for Kane in front of Chevy from Buffalo, Montreal, and Vancouver. They also said Pittsburg is working on a deal for Jokinen?

I think we are in for an interesting 6 or 7 months in Winnipeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad