Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I'll preface this by saying we should absolutely not trade Kane unless we have to but I'm just curious as I've been seeing a lot of Kane proposals lately (all garbage) and I'd like to see some good ones in which we might consider trading Kane. Purely hypothetical….

Kane + Burmistrov (rights) for Bjugstad + Kulikov + FLA 2014 1st

Do we do that if we are forced to trade Kane?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I'll preface this by saying we should absolutely not trade Kane unless we have to but I'm just curious as I've been seeing a lot of Kane proposals lately (all garbage) and I'd like to see some good ones in which we might consider trading Kane. Purely hypothetical….

I haven't seen a lot of Bjugstad, so it's tough to comment.

I think for someone to say yes to this from a Jets standpoint, they would have to have a positive outlook on Bjugstad for it to work. So if you thought he could possibly be a 2C, or a very good 3C at worst, it might not be so bad overall as the pick should be top 5.

Not sure Florida wants to lose that much youth though (although if Burmi came back they would have two young guys in return).

Edit: If he's half as good as Panther fans are saying on their board, I don't think they take this one. Looks like they are loving him big time.

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I would want more!!

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I haven't seen a lot of Bjugstad, so it's tough to comment.

I think for someone to say yes to this from a Jets standpoint, they would have to have a positive outlook on Bjugstad for it to work. So if you thought he could possibly be a 2C, or a very good 3C at worst, it might not be so bad overall as the pick should be top 5.

Not sure Florida wants to lose that much youth though (although if Burmi came back they would have two young guys in return).

I think I probably muddled it by adding names

potential #1 centre that is currently NHL calibre (not sky high value eg. Galchenyuk or Huberdeau), potential top 4 defencemen that is currently NHL calibre (bit of a buy low eg. Myers or Kulikov), early first round pick 2014 (eg. virtually assured top 10)

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I think I probably muddled it by adding names

potential #1 centre that is currently NHL calibre (not sky high value eg. Galchenyuk or Huberdeau), potential top 4 defencemen that is currently NHL calibre (bit of a buy low eg. Myers or Kulikov), early first round pick 2014 (eg. virtually assured top 10)

If we would be getting the Bjugstad that Panther fans are talking about, I would probably make that trade. Sounds like he is playing very well for them. The left handed Kulikov would be good on the second pair and the pick is what makes it happen as it's very likely to be top 5.

Burmistrov's value is hard to peg in a trade though. If he's never going to come back, he's obviously worth nothing. If he is coming back, and would play in Florida, they are getting two young pieces.

Thread on Panther Forum regarding Bjugstad: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1540763

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If I was trading Kane I'd rather be adding if necessary to get a center of pretty similar calibre from a team that has extra.

Spezza for Kane was one that at least made me stop and think for a minute.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If I was trading Kane I'd rather be adding if necessary to get a center of pretty similar calibre from a team that has extra.

Spezza for Kane was one that at least made me stop and think for a minute.

Are we going to trade Spezza away at next year's trade deadline?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Are we going to trade Spezza away at next year's trade deadline?

And if we did..... Would we get anything remotely close to Kane's value back?

Doubtful - as much as I like Spezza, I don't think it would be good asset management by the Jets. If they were a contender, and needed that last push? Maybe. But I think you'd end up giving up Kane for 1+ years of Spezza on a club that's struggling to find their legs in the West, then receiving a high 1st (possibly) or a 2nd (more likely) for him at the trade deadline.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Doubtful - as much as I like Spezza, I don't think it would be good asset management by the Jets. If they were a contender, and needed that last push? Maybe. But I think you'd end up giving up Kane for 1+ years of Spezza on a club that's struggling to find their legs in the West, then receiving a high 1st (possibly) or a 2nd (more likely) for him at the trade deadline.

While I agree that it would be very very poor asset management...

Are you seriously saying that we wouldnt even get a first for Jason ****ing Spezza with the returns guys like Jagr and Pominville returned last year?

come on now. Paul Gaustad retruend a first, surely Spezza would.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Are you seriously saying that we wouldnt even get a first for Jason ****ing Spezza with the returns guys like Jagr and Pominville returned last year?

I did say we could get a first, sully. ;) You just never know what the return might be though - you're taking a flyer on it. In the end, I think it's bad asset management regardless of what the eventual return would be. We certainly wouldn't end up with a pick that equals Kane (though it's offset by the 1+ years Spezza would be here).

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

What kind of first though? What kind of team wants to pick up Spezza next year at the deadline when he's a soon to be UFA? The answer is a very good team making a cup run.

What kind of 1st would that be then? Most likely 20+.

Either keep Kane, or move him for the young high end pieces that make this team better. Not 30+ year olds, or guys with a year left on their deals.

Blackie Dammit

proud flatlander
Jun 27, 2011
Interlake
What's the deal with every other thread on the trade rumors board being a Kane proposal?

Did I miss something here?
He is in a slump and has zero no movement clause in his contract. The rumor is that GM's around the league are inquiring about his availability, which is probably true to some extent. It's their job to look for ways to improve their clubs. The real question is...Is Chevy listening or counter offering????????

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
A couple scenarios I would consider...

Kane => Zibanejad and Cowen

Kane => Stepan and Staal

have to look at contract terms and the like but think both deals would make us better (and meet the needs of the other team).

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary

Kane => Stepan and Staal

have to look at contract terms and the like but think both deals would make us better (and meet the needs of the other team).

Then Staal to Carolina for ?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Kane => Stepan and Staal

Kane is not worth that much more than Stepan.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
Honestly: I dont know if my opinion is popular or shared. but..

Kane is a good player, hard worker, great skater, big shot. But he does not have good vision, isnt a set up guy, is pretty rough with the puck on his stick unless he's pushing it forward... his shot nets him some goals but his shot placement hasnt been very good at all.

i think he is a perennial 30 goal ish player... hes a power forward that will create chances and get some goals. but without the vision and puck skills i struggle to see him becoming that "elite" forward or 40+ guy unless he has a truly great playmaker on his wing...

if we could get a legit top 6 winger/center + a legit top 4 dman in return i would do it... because of his age his value is really high... we may even get a pick or prospect added if a team is desperate for a shakeup

i think a deal like that could help the Jets long term and bolster our group as a whole

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Honestly: I dont know if my opinion is popular or shared. but..

Kane is a good player, hard worker, great skater, big shot. But he does not have good vision, isnt a set up guy, is pretty rough with the puck on his stick unless he's pushing it forward... his shot nets him some goals but his shot placement hasnt been very good at all.

i think he is a perennial 30 goal ish player... hes a power forward that will create chances and get some goals. but without the vision and puck skills i struggle to see him becoming that "elite" forward or 40+ guy unless he has a truly great playmaker on his wing...

if we could get a legit top 6 winger/center + a legit top 4 dman in return i would do it... because of his age his value is really high... we may even get a pick or prospect added if a team is desperate for a shakeup

i think a deal like that could help the Jets long term and bolster our group as a whole

I love the edge Kane can play with, and how much he loves to crash and bang when he's on, but you might be right. It would take a lot to pry him away, but I can't say we shouldn't do it. If we can get a slight overpayment I'd probably pull the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille