Post-Game Talk: Jets fall to the Stars 5-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Send Vesalainen to the AHL. I’m not sold on Roslo at center. Myers with some real brain farts and is not good, but may still get resigned. First line is playing far too much. Why did ELL reform? Little became abysmal as soon as that happened. The first game would have looked like this if Helle didn’t have a career game. Something has to change, I don’t think we look good.

Maurice needs to fix the ice time distribution. It’s not normal to play your first line like that.

Hard to win when they spend like 1/3 of the game in the box. Such stupid penalties, and with the uneven ice time distribution the lines don’t get going. This game was a gong show from top to bottom, from coaching to players.

First line was probably getting tired and the others never got a chance to get involved. I’m asking again what good does depth do if it’s not utilized?

St Louis called up Thorburn after their blowout loss. Who do we call up?

I’m a bit concerned over the contracts Chevy has negotiated as of lately. He gave big money and term to Little and Wheeler, and signed Kulikov and Mason to huge deals. I’m not a fan of those, but at least Kulikov and Mason could have rebounded so can’t fault him for trying... maybe. Then he failed to sign Trouba, and Morrissey missed training camp due to contract issues. Look at our D tonight, if he fails to sign either of the first pair Jets will quickly regress.

I think he should replace Vesalainen ASAP.

FWIW I have been commenting that we would have lost game 1 if it wasn’t for Helle. I think both games were pretty similar, getting outshot badly and relying on Helle winning it for us. It won’t hold for a season.

All true. But I don’t think Maurice dares to play the fourth line with a rookie + rookie C. Having someone more established would allow for better deployment, even if Vesalainen did nothing wrong.

But I don’t think that’d help either. First line played 20+ mins again. Second line less than 15. Those ice times are RIDICULOUS. So I don’t know what would help, probably nothing. I’ve really liked Maurice in the past but this is not good utilization. And swapping out one guy on the fourth won’t do a difference, you are right :/

That is true, but if you try to find justifications for every bad contract or failed signing even Chiarelli would look good. I don’t think Chevy has done that good a job as of lately.

Corsi doesn’t apply to the first line. Joking aside, Wheeler was absolute garbage tonight. But yeah a lot of players were... Myers, Little, Wheeler, Buff, Helle. Hmmm, all of them are signed to big contracts, maybe they should do something for those dollars. Putrid effort.

General farts, sounds like something Aavgard would say.

If Jets lose another game and ELL is unproductive, Maurice has to try swapping Ehlers and Connor, or Wheeler and Laine around.

That’d also be worth a try.

First failing to sign Stastny (I still think moving Mason was to make space for him), and then Morrissey to a long term deal means we have enough unused cap space to keep Mason and Armia.

Two bad games in a row, combined with bad bench management from coaching tends to do that. This year’s team has been completely reliant on Helle having a big night, and that is not sustainable. I haven’t liked what I’ve seen so far and hope they find a remedy soon.

Habs and Sens are leading the Atlantic btw ;D

He would have moved other pieces of course, not signed Brossoit etc. It’s still possible Armia etc would be traded but I don’t think the current situation was Chevy’s plan A.

Who what? Who would have been moved? Perreault or Armia for example, both would have takers. The analysts were betting on Stastny resigning and Chevy was acting accordingly. Why is it impossible to think he was trying to make room for him? They even said it’d be tight but they were trying to make it work.

Are you saying it’s outside the realm of possibility that what both Chevy and Stastny said in interviews, what analysts predicted, combined with the fire sale Chevy partook in, that it absolutely could not in any way have been indicative of Chevy trying to make space for Stastny? That all the analysts on TV were also wrong, the interviews were lies, and it’s head palm smiley worthy to suggest otherwise?

To the Simon Bourque appreciation thread! ;)

21 and counting. At this rate you are going to pass Mort and my post count by sunrise.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
They were hoping to sign him for less than the 7M he ultimately signed for. So they would almost certainly have moved Perreault to make it happen, and the Mason dump was just the first step. That could have been enough to sign him. Also, nobody would have guessed Trouba would get 5.5 in arbitration. You are free to believe Chevy didn’t try to sign Stastny and the interviews were just polite words and that the analysts were wrong, but I think headpalming opposite views is a bit impolite and strong.

Where did I say that?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
myers should sit next game, and if he ever gets back into the lineup he should never see another minute of PP time again. ****ing terrible

poolman needs to come in immediately, same goes for dano. then bring up niku and hope petan is ready asap. vesalainen is completely lost and just plain ineffective, he has no business being on the team.

and just get rid of chiarot i'm ****ing sick of watching him play hockey
Is this the plan to get hughes 1st oa cause I like it

Reactions: Jet

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
With the young core the Jets have they should be cup contenders for the next 5 years,but the Little and Wheeler contracts are closing the window quickly... Both have played like crap and neither was even worth the money at the time of signing their contracts. Wheeler is a product of other great players and unlimited ice time. Funny how Wheeler always gets rewarded with more ice time even after directly being responsible for a goal against.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I think Captain Wheeler need to slide to the 2nd line to balance the scoring.

Last year our captain had a career year.

A lot of that points came from the power play.

I believe his production doubled.

Going from line 1 to line 2 will not make much difference as he will get to play with Laine on that power play.
Laine open up so much ice for Jets power play.

It will force Maurice to give two lines the minutes to satisfy schiefele and then wheelers line.

(But i don't believe Maurice will do that)

Everything points to the fact that Laine going forward now will be the better winger.

Besides a fresh Wheeler is more important than a tired Wheeler.

I would go.

Ehlers Schiefele Laine
Connor Roslovic Wheeler
Perrault little xxx
CLT

Or switch Ehlers and Connor

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
We're still crying about Stastny? Sheesh, let it go, this team was competitive without him.

2 games in, both on the road, 1-1. We were terrible tonight, pretty much across the board. Were not outplayed in St. Louis or rescued by Helle, just hyperbole.

Buff's holding the stick penalty was awful and flat out lazy, took whatever momentum the Jets had away. Really disappointing.

Myers was just........f***ing.......awful.

Chiarot, Myers and Morrow all together in a lineup is not a long term answer. Something needs to change, Kuli in for Chiarot is a start, bump up Morrow with Buff and hope Niku is here sooner than later. Toby is an easy number 4 on this team right now.

f*** is Myers stupid...has a guy fall down behind him on the PP, leads a 5-3 rush up the ice and promptly skates it up and gets closed off at the blue line by two guys. The man is incapable of executing a break out pass.

Wheeler can't take nights off like that.

Little needs to get things going.

Zero transition game tonight, whole team was totally disjointed. Need to get home and build the mojo, too early to determine anything.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
We're still crying about Stastny? Sheesh, let it go, this team was competitive without him.

2 games in, both on the road, 1-1. We were terrible tonight, pretty much across the board. Were not outplayed in St. Louis or rescued by Helle, just hyperbole.

Buff's holding the stick penalty was awful and flat out lazy, took whatever momentum the Jets had away. Really disappointing.

Myers was just........****ing.......awful.

Chiarot, Myers and Morrow all together in a lineup is not a long term answer. Something needs to change, Kuli in for Chiarot is a start, bump up Morrow with Buff and hope Niku is here sooner than later. Toby is an easy number 4 on this team right now.

**** is Myers stupid...has a guy fall down behind him on the PP, leads a 5-3 rush up the ice and promptly skates it up and gets closed off at the blue line by two guys. The man is incapable of executing a break out pass.

Wheeler can't take nights off like that.

Little needs to get things going.

Zero transition game tonight, whole team was totally disjointed. Need to get home and build the mojo, too early to determine anything.

No one was crying about Stastny. The discussion was about Chevy’s contract signings, and failed contract signings (and whether Stastny can be considered one). If he’s not able to sign any of our top 2D soon we’ll be in trouble. It may make sense to read the discussions before commenting on them.

Last edited:

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Player post-game audio: Lowry, Morrissey & Tanev.

Coach Maurice scrum topics: How did he see tonight’s game? What kind of explanation did they get for the disallowed goal? Did he consider challenging the disallowed goal? What does he attribute the penalties to? On the penalty kill tonight. On the quality of chances they’ve given up in the first couple of games. Thoughts on what he saw when he moved Ehlers up.

To listen click here.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Player post-game audio: Lowry, Morrissey & Tanev.

Coach Maurice scrum topics: How did he see tonight’s game? What kind of explanation did they get for the disallowed goal? Did he consider challenging the disallowed goal? What does he attribute the penalties to? On the penalty kill tonight. On the quality of chances they’ve given up in the first couple of games. Thoughts on what he saw when he moved Ehlers up.

To listen click here.

Thoughts on what he saw when he moved Ehlers up: “Not a whole lot”. Wtf.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think the lines need to be shaken up, obviously not Hellebuyck's fault from what I saw. Think they should shake up the lines though.

I do think Brossoit should start in one of the next few games though.

Reactions: Robinson2187

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Hopefully Jack Hughes likes Winnipeg. If we win the lottery, having him and Scheifele down the middle will be pretty nice. Keep chugging along, tank

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Laine my word! He was fantastic... impactful in more areas and way more jump in his game.

KC looked quicker too. Lowry and Rusty were great.

I didn't think we were bad at all despite the score.

Dallas was due.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Myers was on the ice for 4 goals against and in the box for another. That wasn't just bad luck
Who would've thunk? :)
The Jets played like an AHL team tonight.

Make them take the bus back to Winnipeg.
Nah, skating is better. Don't have to bag skate them after that.

Little's line dominated possession tonight - what is with the witch hunt this time? Defaulting back to blaming Little for anything after a seemingly good 5v5 game seems unwise.

I've an idea - how about we don't take penalties? The Stars' shot chart at 5v5 looks about as intimidating as a sleeping puppy. And while we're at it, the defensemen could pay attention to what is happening in front. Didn't look like they cared too much this time.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Who would've thunk? :)

Nah, skating is better. Don't have to bag skate them after that.

Little's line dominated possession tonight - what is with the witch hunt this time? Defaulting back to blaming Little for anything after a seemingly good 5v5 game seems unwise.

I've an idea - how about we don't take penalties? The Stars' shot chart at 5v5 looks about as intimidating as a sleeping puppy. And while we're at it, the defensemen could pay attention to what is happening in front. Didn't look like they cared too much this time.

Exactly. Dumb penalties killed the Jets. Stars are zero threat without their PP. Stay out of the box and you have a great shot at beating them.

Reactions: GNP and Shaibu

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I had to take a break after that game. We came unglued, defence was useless outside of Morrissey and Trouba and even they didn't really have great games.

I've been saying for years once Dallas gets some guys that can move the puck on the backend they will be good. To go along with Klingberg, they now have Heiskanen, Carrick and Lindel. This could be a really good year for Dallas as long as bishop stays healthy.

Reactions: 19GoalsInPlayoffs

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Exactly. Dumb penalties killed the Jets. Stars are zero threat without their PP. Stay out of the box and you have a great shot at beating them.
Do3vB3VX0AAU4dj.jpg:large

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Two bad games in a row, combined with bad bench management from coaching tends to do that. This year’s team has been completely reliant on Helle having a big night, and that is not sustainable. I haven’t liked what I’ve seen so far and hope they find a remedy soon.
Same start we had last season and it turned out alright.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Pittsburgh got blown out by Montreal and Toronto just got done losing to Ottawa. This season is young. Not a big deal at all.

Reactions: Shaibu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad