Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
A year ago for quite a while he was top of the league in scoring goals so whatever the reason is this looks like a lost opportunity right now. Everyone knows I didn't like the way Todd handled him at times and I believe that plays a huge part in what we're seeing now, but it doesn't mean Pulju himself is doing things perfectly.

I'd be much more willing to concentrate on the player side if he hadn't had clearly successive times, which makes me feel the skills and the mental side are there, but somehow lost right now. The development of the player is both his and the team's responsibility. The season is young, but I'm getting less sure Pulju and McLellan's Oilers is the right fit.
For quite a while? If that was quite a while this season has been going on for an eternity. Pulju in low minutes in a small sample size had high goal scoring rates. I can show tons of instances of that with players and it doesn't mean much.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
For quite a while? If that was quite a while this season has been going on for an eternity. Pulju in low minutes in a small sample size had high goal scoring rates. I can show tons of instances of that with players and it doesn't mean much.

You misunderstood me, I was talking about last season.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You misunderstood me, I was talking about last season.
I didn't misunderstand you. Last season in a tiny stretch with low minutes he had high goal scoring rates. He was never in his NHL career over any stretch the best at scoring goals. I know what the fancy stats show but goals per 60 over that small of a spam are literally meaningless.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I didn't misunderstand you. Last season in a tiny stretch with low minutes he had high goal scoring rates. He was never in his NHL career over any stretch the best at scoring goals. I know what the fancy stats show but goals per 60 over that small of a spam are literally meaningless.

Then his goals per 60 playing less minutes in the bottom six are even more meaningless. All stats are now meaningless.

Reactions: GameChanger

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

Around the end of March (or at least mid month to play it safe) he was still the best scoring winger of the team, so anyway that's not a tiny sample size anymore. All I'm saying is he did have some good times last season so it makes one wonder what's going on at the moment.

The quality of my personal life isn't dependant on the success of Pulju, but of course it'd be nice to see him succeed in the Oilers instead of maybe another team, but maybe a change of atmosphere would be good for both parties.

I'm leaving now because I don't want to seem like I'm pushing my opinion to anyone's face, I've said enough.

Reactions: PulYou

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That sinking feeling when you start to sense this franchise has blown another high pick ...

We needed this pick to pay dividends, it had to be a big time player for us and we need help now.

Reactions: nabob

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Looking at the stats, he was by no means the worst player of the team, but there was no joy in his game.

Remembered the rumour from last year, that Gretzky supposedly said McLellan didn't let the team have no fun...

Stats from the game:

Event Summary

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
He isn't moving his feet at all. Some AHL time wouldn't be the worst thing, maybe call up Marody.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
That sinking feeling when you start to sense this franchise has blown another high pick ...

We needed this pick to pay dividends, it had to be a big time player for us and we need help now.

As much as it pains me to say this, we should have gone the way we did with Bouchard and picked the BPA with relation to NHL readiness, being Tkachuk.

Puljujarvi has had some brilliant moments and I hate how we was set up to fail on the PP with the other rooks but he is starting to look like he has a 10c head. Really hoping I'm wrong. He needs to be sent down to the AHL and NEEDS to dominate down there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
As much as it pains me to say this, we should have gone the way we did with Bouchard and picked the BPA with relation to NHL readiness, being Tkachuk.

Puljujarvi has had some brilliant moments and I hate how we was set up to fail on the PP with the other rooks but he is starting to look like he has a 10c head. Really hoping I'm wrong. He needs to be sent down to the AHL and NEEDS to dominate down there.

Yeah my gut was also saying we should've either taken Tkachuk there as annoying as he is, he seemed like a safe pick, or traded down for Sergachev.

The Oilers really seem to have massive problems developing guys who don't have a firm grasp on English too. Though I suppose that didn't help Paajarvi much.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Yeah my gut was also saying we should've either taken Tkachuk there as annoying as he is, he seemed like a safe pick, or traded down for Sergachev.

The Oilers really seem to have massive problems developing guys who don't have a firm grasp on English too. Though I suppose that didn't help Paajarvi much.

Sergachev would have been awesome as well but I don't think he was as obvious a choice at the time (a little more hindsight). To be fair JP did seem like a high risk high reward player but I don't think this team could afford to take the risk. I'm still wondering if the league wakes up and neuters players like Tkachuk and Marchand (cheapshot artists). Not really betting on it though.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Would look to shop for a defenseman. Not liking his progression so far this season at all. He still has value.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Would look to shop for a defenseman. Not liking his progression so far this season at all. He still has value.

If JP and a small + is workable for Faulk you gotta make that trade. Maybe Carolina will do it for the Aho connection and since they've been slipping a bit recently.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Need forward help more at this point I think. Our D isn't anything great, but our offence is completely dead in the water past McDavid.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Kekäläinen said day before draft that his scouting staff goes brain first.

"Game is getting faster and faster every year and ability to process it fast is more and more important."

He said it also after draft when media was on him at passing Pulju.
He was polite.

And if you know Kekäläinen's and co draft resume you should listen him.

Just look his drafts in Ottawa St.Louis.

Pulju should be traded. Fast.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Time is truly ticking for Pulju. I hope they still keep him with Drai and see if anything happens.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
If JP and a small + is workable for Faulk you gotta make that trade. Maybe Carolina will do it for the Aho connection and since they've been slipping a bit recently.

I believe that would work. There's still plenty of tools and stats for a capable GM to get real value out of Puljujarvi and Carolina seems like a natural fit. They seem to know how to handle the Finnish forwards with Aho and Teräväinen, who scored 64 points last season and is now at a ppg rate.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Edmonton Journal's take:

Jesse Puljujarvi, 4. Second mediocre game in a row after a great game against the Jets. That’s how it is with 20-year-old players. He needs to make up his mind to get in hard on the forecheck and stir things up. He’s got to start to hit a bit, not cruise around so much, if only to get himself in the game.

At Drai's part the article says the following: His line with Tobias Rieder and Jesse Puljujarvi looked OK, largely because Draisaitl was moving his feet well.

So according to that it wasn't all bad for the 2nd line, but it's naturally just one opinion. Anyway, now I'm gone probably at least until the next game. Let's hope it's gonna be better for the team and Jesse.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
I don’t know. I watched part of the game and looked through the fancy stats. Maybe I have Pulju-colored glasses on but I didn’t get this doom and gloom from it that seems to be the new narrative. A 20 year old player didn’t look good against the best team in NHL. Not really that unique of an experience for those circumstances. If he scores another goal by the 8th game he’d still be going at a 20 goal pace. I see the major arguments against JP are the ”misadventures” and ”eye test,” both of which are very convenient definitions in that they can be applied to whatever narrative anyone wants to argue at a given day. Could someone quantify the exact amount and flavor of misadventures JP has had and how they correspond to Yakupov’s misadventures? Or is it just something that can be randomly thrown out as negative feedback without anyone really being sure what they mean?

For this season the sample size up to now is miniscule, and him playing on the 2nd line is a fraction of that. I’d give him 20 games on Drai’s wing, but of course with McLellan’s line blender blasting full steam this is not in the realm of realistic options. I get the idea that he needs to score a million goals right now because otherwise McLellan will never give him more than 8 minutes of ice per game, but that is the coach being the problem and not the player. The coach is reactionary, the team is reactionary, and the fans are slowly conditioned to be just as reactionary.

Reactions: GameChanger

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Such disappointment that he can look so confident and assertive in the preseason and then bam, disappear in the regular season.

Most of us were hoping he would somewhat keep that high level of play but alas...

JP still can’t read the game at a high level. That’s the biggest problem.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
Oilers deffo made a mistake in drafting him, he needs a safer environment to grow in than the pressure cooker the Oilers are right now, not a good match. Though it's easy to speak in hindsight..

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Oilers deffo made a mistake in drafting him, he needs a safer environment to grow in than the pressure cooker the Oilers are right now, not a good match. Though it's easy to speak in hindsight..

Grow into what though?
Guy still struggles to read the game at a high level. High or no pressure, if he can’t read the game, there’s not much Oilers can do IMO.

As the saying goes, all the tools but no toolbox

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Kekäläinen said day before draft that his scouting staff goes brain first.

"Game is getting faster and faster every year and ability to process it fast is more and more important."

He said it also after draft when media was on him at passing Pulju.
He was polite.

And if you know Kekäläinen's and co draft resume you should listen him.

Just look his drafts in Ottawa St.Louis.

Pulju should be traded. Fast.
Kekäläinen is a smart man, though I wouldn't read into him passing on Pulju as an indication that he will bust or can't play in the NHL, just that they thought there was atleast one better option available to them when their pick came up.

It's no secret I was previously in the trade Pulju camp when the hype was high and the consensus was more skewed towards him being a franchise or 1st line winger and I simply didn't think he had that level of play or was likely to reach that level of play. At this point though a lot of the draft buzz has washed off and our window to get a really good return for him has probably passed. It'd probably be best to just see things through with Pulju, he has a tantalizing skill set that is hard to replicate, if he turns out, I just hope one of the new coaches can get through to him better than Todd could. Pulju is being afforded a great opportunity at the moment he needs to seize it, I don't even mind if he comes up short, just needs to play like he really wants that spot in the top 6 opposed to the lackadaisical efforts of the past 2 games.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Kekäläinen is a smart man, though I wouldn't read into him passing on Pulju as an indication that he will bust or can't play in the NHL, just that they thought there was atleast one better option available to them when their pick came up.

It's no secret I was previously in the trade Pulju camp when the hype was high and the consensus was more skewed towards him being a franchise or 1st line winger and I simply didn't think he had that level of play or was likely to reach that level of play. At this point though a lot of the draft buzz has washed off and our window to get a really good return for him has probably passed. It'd probably be best to just see things through with Pulju, he has a tantalizing skill set that is hard to replicate, if he turns out, I just hope one of the new coaches can get through to him better than Todd could. Pulju is being afforded a great opportunity at the moment he needs to seize it, I don't even mind if he comes up short, just needs to play like he really wants that spot in the top 6 opposed to the lackadaisical efforts of the past 2 games.

After the clear lack of hockeysence the lack of effort is scary.

Pulju makes to many fake boardplays and checks.
Not really using his power, strenght, comin just few seconds to late to actually do anything useful.

Looks really bad when you add everything together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad