Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
Grow into what though?
Guy still struggles to read the game at a high level. High or no pressure, if he can’t read the game, there’s not much Oilers can do IMO.

As the saying goes, all the tools but no toolbox
Mark Scheifele also had a rough time longer than Jesse has so far, look at him now.

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
I just think that Jesse is lacking cognitive functions that are vital to being a star nhl player. He seems destined to be a 3rd line 15 goal forward .

I hope I eat my words but I fear that won’t be the case

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I believe that would work. There's still plenty of tools and stats for a capable GM to get real value out of Puljujarvi and Carolina seems like a natural fit. They seem to know how to handle the Finnish forwards with Aho and Teräväinen, who scored 64 points last season and is now at a ppg rate.

This saddens me my friend. I mean that earnestly. The last thing I want, still, is for Jesse to be traded.

Plus it would destroy this lineup to see our only high end winger prospect remaining traded for another D.

Remember, you said it yourself. A line needs 10-20 games to start feeling itself out. Jesse and Drai do not yet have enough familiarity but I really want to give this until Xmas to see what we got in the matchup and continuing with Rieder. I do think it will turn into something.

But as an Oilers fan its all we got as potential for that 2nd line. That's the only config that I can see that could work. We're so limited with wingers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t know. I watched part of the game and looked through the fancy stats. Maybe I have Pulju-colored glasses on but I didn’t get this doom and gloom from it that seems to be the new narrative. A 20 year old player didn’t look good against the best team in NHL. Not really that unique of an experience for those circumstances. If he scores another goal by the 8th game he’d still be going at a 20 goal pace. I see the major arguments against JP are the ”misadventures” and ”eye test,” both of which are very convenient definitions in that they can be applied to whatever narrative anyone wants to argue at a given day. Could someone quantify the exact amount and flavor of misadventures JP has had and how they correspond to Yakupov’s misadventures? Or is it just something that can be randomly thrown out as negative feedback without anyone really being sure what they mean?

For this season the sample size up to now is miniscule, and him playing on the 2nd line is a fraction of that. I’d give him 20 games on Drai’s wing, but of course with McLellan’s line blender blasting full steam this is not in the realm of realistic options. I get the idea that he needs to score a million goals right now because otherwise McLellan will never give him more than 8 minutes of ice per game, but that is the coach being the problem and not the player. The coach is reactionary, the team is reactionary, and the fans are slowly conditioned to be just as reactionary.

Theres typically way too much amplitude reaction on a fanboard. I get it. people are emotional about something they are passionate about. But the ups and downs one see's here are so extreme.

If Pulju scored on one of his great chances last night none of these comments are happening.

That said I audibly groaned when he took a very poor shot on the PP and missed the net by a lot and with the heavy shot of course careening all the way back down the ice. you see things like that and it makes your head hurt.

I don't know what it is. In Canadian hockey if I do something like that I have a coach and a dozen players telling me not to do that on the PP. Not to ever do that. This is far from the first time.

A couple things sadden me. The shot was bizarre. The mechanics off. That shot didn't have a chance of hitting net. It wasn't even a good shot decision. It was a complete brainfart, which is fair, the kid is still a kid. Pulju is seemingly younger than chronologic age, he's young anyway.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Theres typically way too much amplitude reaction on a fanboard. I get it. people are emotional about something they are passionate about. But the ups and downs one see's here are so extreme.

If Pulju scored on one of his great chances last night none of these comments are happening.

That said I audibly groaned when he took a very poor shot on the PP and missed the net by a lot and with the heavy shot of course careening all the way back down the ice. you see things like that and it makes your head hurt.

I don't know what it is. In Canadian hockey if I do something like that I have a coach and a dozen players telling me not to do that on the PP. Not to ever do that. This is far from the first time.

A couple things sadden me. The shot was bizarre. The mechanics off. That shot didn't have a chance of hitting net. It wasn't even a good shot decision. It was a complete brainfart, which is fair, the kid is still a kid. Pulju is seemingly younger than chronologic age, he's young anyway.

Goof is the best way to describe it and I mean that in a nice way haha

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This saddens me my friend. I mean that earnestly. The last thing I want, still, is for Jesse to be traded.

Plus it would destroy this lineup to see our only high end winger prospect remaining traded for another D.

Remember, you said it yourself. A line needs 10-20 games to start feeling itself out. Jesse and Drai do not yet have enough familiarity but I really want to give this until Xmas to see what we got in the matchup and continuing with Rieder. I do think it will turn into something.

But as an Oilers fan its all we got as potential for that 2nd line. That's the only config that I can see that could work. We're so limited with wingers.

I still think that Looch might be a better fit for that line just because of the chaos he can create with hits and rushing defenders. hat said I agree, we need to give this duo some time to get things going. When Todd stacks the top line it screws the rest of our lines and wastes time for them to gel. It took Yamo, Jesse and Rieder out of the game basically.

Moregoalspls

Nov 24, 2017
I can see the potential in Jesse. But the way Oilers management works, I fear he is getting yakupov'd, lazar'd. They have to rush every young player. Skill is definately there but I know for a fact that turning 18 does not automatically turn you into a "mature" person. Too much pressure.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015

The PP shot was definitely weird. I’ve noticed that even when the 2nd PP once in a while manages to set up in the O-zone, Pulju rarely gets a pass directed at him. I’m not sure what the full story is there, but that particular shot isn’t helping things. What I’m getting from it all is that somewhere inside the team there are serious communication problems.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I can see the potential in Jesse. But the way Oilers management works, I fear he is getting yakupov'd, lazar'd. They have to rush every young player. Skill is definately there but I know for a fact that turning 18 does not automatically turn you into a "mature" person. Too much pressure.

Or maybe Yakupov and Lazar simply weren't that good?

I don't see the "skill" in Jesse. Puck skill is fairly mediocre, he can't really dangle or elude NHL level defenders.

He is fast, but he's not so fast that he can consistently beat NHL defenders wide. Lots of guys in this league can skate.

He has a hard shot, but not an accurate one. Puck is quite often 5 feet over the net or straight into a goalie's crest.

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Posters here bitch about TMac not giving him top 6 and when he gets it, he falters.
Top 6 inevitably brings more pressure due to higher level comp.
Bottom 6 lets him ease in but you hear complaints about no talent to 'help' when the point is trying to get him to drive his own line

So which is it?

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
The PP shot was definitely weird. I’ve noticed that even when the 2nd PP once in a while manages to set up in the O-zone, Pulju rarely gets a pass directed at him. I’m not sure what the full story is there, but that particular shot isn’t helping things. What I’m getting from it all is that somewhere inside the team there are serious communication problems.

Oh god, please help me. Not this narrative again

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The full story is he's not very good and doesn't know where to be on the ice. Thats why he doesn't receive passes. And in the very rare circumstance where he actually finds himself in the right spot to get a shot off and receives that pass he flubs it.

Dude sucks at hockey at his level. That's all there is to it.

Reactions: tellermine

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
The full story is he's not very good and doesn't know where to be on the ice. Thats why he doesn't receive passes. And in the very rare circumstance where he actually finds himself in the right spot to get a shot off and receives that pass he flubs it.

Saddly I think your right.
He's biggest problem is getting in a good position in attackzone.
Some times he clearly gets it late and situtation is already altered.

No progress in this at all.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
They need a Finnish translator. As much as you are forced to learn the language and Jesse is learning. There are communication gaps and there is literally no one on the team that can explain in fine detail after a coaching/practice the nuances of certain plays that he can mull over.
You may think that shouldn't be an excuse but people have even stated that sometimes he doesn't know where to be on the ice. Weird that playing on a finnish team that he is more effective and seems to know his position.
I really doubt it is lack of hockey IQ, I really think it is just a communication problem and no one wants to admit it on the team. Who cares what the rest of the NHL thinks, get him all the help he needs so he can become the impact player that I definitely know he is.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

The Oilers have zero idea how to develop this player. They've been dicking him around since he was drafted.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers have zero idea how to develop this player. They've been dicking him around since he was drafted.
Maybe. But probably not in the way that some of the people here think.

This should have been his rookie year tbh.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
The thing they have done wrong is not ship his sorry ass to the minors from the get go,in a long term attempt to have him learn how to actually play hockey. Thats it. But Im sure his "fans" would be whining about that too, as he was, ta da, a high draft pick.
In terms of him been unfortunately in the NHL, he has been handled fine. He belongs nowhere near the top 2 lines and by and large he hasn't been.
The failure is on him (with the exception of he should have been in the minors all along).

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I thought he played good in New York and pretty good against Boston. Not so good against the best team in the league, oh the sin. I hope the staff have more patience than the fans on this board. Need to give him time still.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
What I wish Pulju would become at his draft: Jari Kurri
What I wish Pulju would be this year: Filip Forsberg
What I think Pulju will end up being: Fredrik Sjostrom

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Still think top 6 should be
Rattie/Rieder-McDavid-Yamamoto
RNH-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi

Mcdavid only needs wingers to get him the puck and then get open...rnh/Drai get a little easier competition and hopefully oilers can get some secondary scoring

Don’t think Nuge or Drai can carry a line by themselves but maybe together they can move HE pick in the right direction

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Maybe. But probably not in the way that some of the people here think.

This should have been his rookie year tbh.
They insisted on keeping him in the lineup in his initial year for reasons I can’t understand... and now his contract is up after this year...

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad