Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
I believe he'd already be an elite player in many different teams. In fact his numbers while playing at top top6 during his 2nd season were very good, but of course many fans don't see it that way. This doesn't mean he's ready as a player in every aspect, and that's more obvious at difficult times, but at his best he's played some excellent hockey.

He started his 2nd season strongly and nobody (except for McLellan) knows why he was demoted from the top6 at that time. Some fans are frustrated for different reasons and for some it's because he's stood out at his best, but hasn't been able to stay at that level for long enough. That inconcistency is not that unusual with young players and I believe a different kind of an attitude from the coach would've helped a lot. Whatever issues Pulju may have I believe it's mainly mental, at least there's no problems with his work ethic.

There has been absolutely nothing to suggest this. Nothing.
If he wasn't a 4th overall pick no one would even consider making such a ludicrous statement.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Well you got it wrong. Chiasson has had next to nothing to do with the line doing better. Its was Rieder, not Chiasson, and almost anybody realizes that.

Chiasson has actually not been too good on that line. Passable, but pretty much of a plumber elevated. Last couple games Chiasson has not much going.

Rieder has looked good, but Drai has been the difference on that line. His compete level is night and day better. Chiasson works as the RW because he gets in on the forecheck and doesn’t make mistakes that lead tomscoring chances against. He’s not a long term solution by any means but he’s playing like a reliable vet.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This better not be last kick at the can. I say that due to the age, and the player resolutely showing the team that he came into camp with different focus, play, and doing that throughout the preseason. But he was summarily planted in bottomsix anyway, then got 2-3 games with Drai, and now 4 and counting scratched games.

This is unchartered territory btw. The only other wingers that have been scratched longer on team McLellan are Slepychev and Pakarinen. Even guys like Walker and Jokinen were dealt with quicker. Even Aberg didn't experience this length of being out of the lineup. Not even Kassian.

In McLellan world most forward healthy scratches are 1,2 games in duration.

This is even more startling as its all happening within the Rattie injury time frame when we are a one-two short of filling out topsix. (With Chiasson and Yama occupying positions)

So this is special dog house at this point.

I meant before demotion to the AHL. I am not interested in trading him at all.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Rieder has looked good, but Drai has been the difference on that line. His compete level is night and day better. Chiasson works as the RW because he gets in on the forecheck and doesn’t make mistakes that lead tomscoring chances against. He’s not a long term solution by any means but he’s playing like a reliable vet.
Of course Drai is the significant difference. He's the mover and shaker, and every chemical reaction needs a catalyst but theres no chemistry without ingredients..

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I don't typically agree with Matt Henderson (personally I find he's a little too enthused with stats vs eye and too doom and gloom when underlying stats aren't looking good), but I like his article on Puljujarvi vs Yamamoto over on ON. It's kind of challenged my thoughts on Pulju so far this season, in particular, his PDO has been awful which makes sense.

I think they should plug him in next to Strome or Draisaitl (swap him back and forth as needed) and let him sink or swim. Sitting him or sending him down isn't going to do anything good for him or the team. Yams needs to go down when Rattie is back unless his offense starts to pick up.

Edit: Sorry to clarify if some don't know what article I'm talking about Yamamoto vs Puljujarvi

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't typically agree with Matt Henderson (personally I find he's a little too enthused with stats vs eye and too doom and gloom when underlying stats aren't looking good), but I like his article on Puljujarvi vs Yamamoto over on ON. It's kind of challenged my thoughts on Pulju so far this season, in particular, his PDO has been awful which makes sense.

I think they should plug him in next to Strome or Draisaitl (swap him back and forth as needed) and let him sink or swim. Sitting him or sending him down isn't going to do anything good for him or the team. Yams needs to go down when Rattie is back unless his offense starts to pick up.

Edit: Sorry to clarify if some don't know what article I'm talking about Yamamoto vs Puljujarvi

The wagons are finally starting to circle and discover the Yama fallacy That small players with small legs almost always look busy compared to even normal sized players and giving the illusion of the player doing a lot more work. Is such a basic distortion surprised people still fall for it. But the time you've watched hockey for 50 yrs you're far past falling for the easy energy player that accomplishes little

The end all is Yama is getting nothing done, few shots, has scored his only goal on a breakaway and has done nothing else. Flubs another chance in first period. Worst play of the period was him getting tagged at his own blueline, easily giving up the puck (can't count the number of times I've seen this) and the Wild nearly scoring on the turnover. But theres Debrusk secs later talking about Yama playing great. my lord. Its like there's a script they have to follow.

Kailor also with the easy fall at blueline erasing a zone entry on the PP.

You could blow on this guy and he would topple over. Opponents continue to just push him right off the puck. I should count the times in a night this occurs.

Meanwhile Pulju, with actual topsix promise, up in the stands eating popcorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad