Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Tuomas Grönman, a player with some experience in the NHL and the national team is a master of psychology and works with young players. He has written a book (with two people who've worked with Patrik Laine) about the psychological coaching for young players.

He uses Puljujarvi as an example in an article in a Finnish magazine Iltalehti:

"I don't know the case thoroughly and I don't know if he's used a mental coach. As it happened to be that Laine and others from your age group have huge cannon seasons, but you don't get to play. It's a huge disappointment to anyone. In that he would've certainly needed a mental coach. I don't know if he's been helped."

Grönman reminds that the traditionally popular NHL culture, where you have to manage on your own, doesn't suit to everyone. Some players near the adulthood would need more guidance and support even if the actual skills are elite in their age group.

"They should push this kind of psychological side to the players. After all they are high draft picks for the team."

However, in North America they favor the model where they hope the next young player will do better. In the preseason Puljujarvi scored goals and played well. The 3rd season may "set the direction of the water" for the only 20-year-old player at least in the Oilers.

"From the team's view you should organize some kind of a mental training package for the young talents, core players and more expensive foreign stars (note:the last part is for the FEL teams). Make sure that the amount of bad seasons is minimal."

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
My concern with Puljujarvi is that he lacks hockey IQ and puck-sense. Those are things that can't be coached. Yakupov suffered the same problem, and we know where he ended up. (At least Puljujarvi has a strong shot, though.)

I just don't see him progressing... at all.

Reactions: mouz135

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He has looked more like Yakupov every game this season. It's worrisome but early still. I really don't see a Rantanen like explosion from him

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
My concern with Puljujarvi is that he lacks hockey IQ and puck-sense. Those are things that can't be coached. Yakupov suffered the same problem, and we know where he ended up. (At least Puljujarvi has a strong shot, though.)

Poor shot accuracy too. A lot like Yakupov. Low hockey IQ, poor shot accuracy, poor puck skill/poise.

If this guy is supposed to be the answer to our winger woes, we're in a lot of trouble.

Reactions: mouz135

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

Sadly he is Yakupov 2.0.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Struggled the last two games. It’s like 2RW is where players go to die. Which sucks because Drai actually had a good game today and Jesse struggled pretty bad.

He does lack hockey sense with regards to our system it seems. Not willing to write him off as he has looked less out of place the more games he plays as he adjusts to NA hockey. But he needs to be better.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
they r just plain clueless when it comes to developing young talent. the only ones that do well are the ones good enough to get there COMPLETELY on their own.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I was honestly upset the year they took Pooly... was really hoping they'd go with Tkachuk. Pooly might have been a bit higher reward but definitely higher risk pick. i believed strongly that Tkachuk would be a good solid player.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Yak had the better shot of the two to be honest. But I've said it once and unfortunately I'll have to say it again, he's reminding me too much of Yak to be optimistic about him. All tools, no toolbox - the sequel. And before the Pulju fans here attack me, just know that I DONT want this to be the case. I'd love to be able to enter this thread and say Pulju is the next Kurri and god damn did he look good tonight. But its just not the case.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Puju was terrible tonight.

Shocked he would give up on his chance to cement himself in the top 6.

Btw, I think the hockey IQ part is wrong. I think he thinks the game fine, he just doesn't process fast enough.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan

Btw, I think the hockey IQ part is wrong. I think he thinks the game fine, he just doesn't process fast enough.
That is hockey IQ.

I actually think it was much the same problem with Yakupov. For some guys, the speed of the NHL game is just beyond their ability to keep up with. You can't see it in Junior, but it becomes apparent quickly in the NHL.

Perfectly normal to struggle with it as a rookie or maybe a sophomore, but after that if they aren't showing signs of getting up to speed (literally) it's Yakupov 2.0.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

He's terrible most nights.

Not an NHL player.

Bust.

Next.

Reactions: Gone

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Well there is a huge concern here that he will not succeed in Edmonton.

So Katz if You are indeed reading the hfboards, why don't You recommed Chiarelli to trade Pulju.

Sadly it seems that Edmonton is not a right fit for him. And McLellan just does not know how to coach him or build his confidence.

You know Pulju is in his game, when he is smiling. No smiles to be seen today's game. Conratulations he didn't look like happy go lucky.

Reactions: GameChanger

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

sometimes dominance at jr level just does not translate to nhl and this organization seem to either have a hard time analyzing this with prospects or a sh** time trying to develop them properly.

even if oilers picked barzal, i have little faith the oil would develop him properly.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I only read the GDT but I admit something's going on. Whether I watched the games or not I read practically every GDT through last year and the difference between these kind of games and the first weeks of the last season is like night and day.

It's okay if some people don't believe in him and want to get him traded, I don't oppose to that as I think McLellan is also not the right fit with him, but I guess I have a right to believe mental side is the main thing as he did do well for quite a while a year ago. I agree with Tuomas Grönman, a mental coach wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Reactions: PulYou

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

So Katz if You are indeed reading the hfboards, why don't You recommed Chiarelli to trade Pulju.

Sadly it seems that Edmonton is not a right fit for him. And McLellan just does not know how to coach him or build his confidence.

You know Pulju is in his game, when he is smiling. No smiles to be seen today's game. Conratulations he didn't look like happy go lucky.
I think you could put him with Crosby right now and still look terrible.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

Not sure you could get much for him ATM.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
sometimes dominance at jr level just does not translate to nhl and this organization seem to either have a hard time analyzing this with prospects or a sh** time trying to develop them properly.

even if oilers picked barzal, i have little faith the oil would develop him properly.

A year ago for quite a while he was top of the league in scoring goals so whatever the reason is this looks like a lost opportunity right now. Everyone knows I didn't like the way Todd handled him at times and I believe that plays a huge part in what we're seeing now, but it doesn't mean Pulju himself is doing things perfectly.

I'd be much more willing to concentrate on the player side if he hadn't had clearly successive times, which makes me feel the skills and the mental side are there, but somehow lost right now. The development of the player is both his and the team's responsibility. The season is young, but I'm getting less sure Pulju and McLellan's Oilers is the right fit.

Reactions: PulYou

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I have always backed up Puju but he needs to get going here. Todd is playing him in the top 6, he needs to have some confidence in himself (that he shows glimpses of) and just demand the puck. When he’s moving his feet and using his size, he’s a pretty damn good player. But he can’t do that just once every 5 games.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
A year ago for quite a while he was top of the league in scoring goals so whatever the reason is this looks like a lost opportunity right now. Everyone knows I didn't like the way Todd handled him at times and I believe that plays a huge part in what we're seeing now, but it doesn't mean Pulju himself is doing things perfectly.

I'd be much more willing to concentrate on the player side if he hadn't had clearly successive times, which makes me feel the skills and the mental side are there, but somehow lost right now. The development of the player is both his and the team's responsibility. The season is young, but I'm getting less sure Pulju and McLellan's Oilers is the right fit.

absolutely, sometimes it most certainly is how well the developing player and the coach(es) and teammates mix and gel and are of "the same mindset" and direction in how to progress. Coaches are human beings and will have certain biases. Is it unfortunate that maybe Pooly just rubs Todd the wrong way? perhaps. i think it's a little bit of both, pooly just has a difficult time "getting it" and todd just has less patience with him particularly as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad