Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They insisted on keeping him in the lineup in his initial year for reasons I can’t understand... and now his contract is up after this year...

This only would have been an issue if he was a going to be earning a big contract coming out of his ELC. His next contract is probably going to be less than what his current one is when you factor in bonuses. I don't think it matters at all anymore. though Pulju isn't going to figure it out here. The sooner this organization realizes that the sooner we can hopefully get something for him.

Sure is going to suck dealing him for a 3rd round pick in a year or twos time though.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This only would have been an issue if he was a going to be earning a big contract coming out of his ELC. His next contract is probably going to be less than what his current one is when you factor in bonuses. I don't think it matters at all anymore. though Pulju isn't going to figure it out here. The sooner this organization realizes that the sooner we can hopefully get something for him.

Sure is going to suck dealing him for a 3rd round pick in a year or twos time though.
It’s going to be an issue because the Oilers don’t have much cap space next year and no goalies signed...

space321

May 11, 2011
This fanbase never learns...

Gonna regret giving away Puljujarvi. Once that happens, it's gonna be fun to watch the "why don't we have scoring wingers" debates over and over.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The bright side of Puljus below average play is his next contract will be like...2-2.5 mill at most.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Maybe. But probably not in the way that some of the people here think.

This should have been his rookie year tbh.

Maybe. I think it would've helped for him to spend at least 1 more year in Finland, he probably could've had a similar year to Pettersson in the SHL last year. Either way he has been dicked around and mishandled by the Oilers while he's been with the team. If you have a high draft pick who's a little lacking in maturity or is having language problems sure you can blame the player but how does that help the team? Do what's best for the player where he's currently at developmentally. If he needs more help give him more help.

In any case I'm not too worried about Jesse having a couple mediocre games while he's acclimatizing to 2nd line competition. He'll figure it out, once he gets used to having less time he'll adapt. I still see a player capable of being a good second line guy who can put up 55 points and moonlight on the first line. Just don't expect that right away with him in this hockey environment where he still seemingly can't comfortably be himself. He'll get there but it will be in spite of, not because of the way he's been handled with the Oilers.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Did we regret giving away yakupov? The biggest regret there is we didn’t do it much earlier. Just like we are doing with pulju.
Considering what our team really needs going forward is a young impact RWer, I think we pretty much have to keep Puljujarvi, at least until we can firmly establish we don't need him (which is possible I admit).

I don't think we should trade him just because he could bust, just because that's what happened to Yakupov. Teams keep their high pedigree young players because those are so hard to find. Sometimes they catch fire right away. Sometimes it takes a few years. Sometimes they bust. I don't see other teams trying to salvage trade value by trading top young players early. Calgary held onto Bennett, and it seems to be paying off now. We held onto Nurse, and he took a while too.

Reactions: North and Aerrol

space321

May 11, 2011
Did we regret giving away yakupov? The biggest regret there is we didn’t do it much earlier. Just like we are doing with pulju.

Nice you gave an example of 1 player. How about Dubnyk, Jultz, Hall, Eberle? Those are players we gave up on after 1 bad season. This guy's barely 20 years old ffs, he should be in the minors learning the game/English, instead he has to play up here because we have ZERO depth. Same goes for Yamamoto haters.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Nice you gave an example of 1 player. How about Dubnyk, Jultz, Hall, Eberle? Those are players we gave up on after 1 bad season. This guy's barely 20 years old ffs, he should be in the minors learning the game/English, instead he has to play up here because we have ZERO depth. Same goes for Yamamoto haters.

Hall and Eberle never had bad seasons with us. They just had a slightly bad season by their own standards. Jultz and Dubnyk were never going to succeed here, where as Hall and Eberle were always going to bounce back. I still believe that Yakupov could have been a productive player for us in the right situation but he dug his own grave here.

Reactions: RegDunlop

space321

May 11, 2011
Hall and Eberle never had bad seasons with us. They just had a slightly bad season by their own standards. Jultz and Dubnyk were never going to succeed here, where as Hall and Eberle were always going to bounce back. I still believe that Yakupov could have been a productive player for us in the right situation but he dug his own grave here.

They had a bad season then the fans used that to justify trading them away, despite the gaping holes left on our wings by trading them away. I can agree that Jultz and Dubs probably benefitted from a change in scenery, but isn't that something that should concern fans? Why do so many players need a change from Edmonton? It's not because they lack the skill. So why not try and fix that instead of shipping out talented players when their value is low?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
All of those players had played hockey at a high level in the NHL as an Oiler. Even Schultz in his rookie year despite some huge defensive warts was very good offensively. Pulju has never looked like he belongs for more than a day or two. Big difference. Those were all good players. Pulju just sucks.

space321

May 11, 2011
All of those players had played hockey at a high level in the NHL as an Oiler. Even Schultz in his rookie year despite some huge defensive warts was very good offensively. Pulju has never looked like he belongs for more than a day or two. Big difference. Those were all good players. Pulju just sucks.

Puljujarvi is 20 years old. Didn't speak English. Lots of players don't have breakout seasons until they're 22 or 23 or even older. But sure, lets just give him away for a 3rd round pick, I don't think even Chiarelli is as dumb as that holy shit.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Considering what our team really needs going forward is a young impact RWer, I think we pretty much have to keep Puljujarvi, at least until we can firmly establish we don't need him (which is possible I admit).

I don't think we should trade him just because he could bust, just because that's what happened to Yakupov. Teams keep their high pedigree young players because those are so hard to find. Sometimes they catch fire right away. Sometimes it takes a few years. Sometimes they bust. I don't see other teams trying to salvage trade value by trading top young players early. Calgary held onto Bennett, and it seems to be paying off now. We held onto Nurse, and he took a while too.
That player is never going to be puljujarvi. There is the disconnect. The oilers have first hand knowledge of this player. Use that to our benefit before the rest of the league realizes he’s a dud too.

It’s not about trading him because he “could bust” its about trading him because he has busted already.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Puljujarvi is 20 years old. Didn't speak English. Lots of players don't have breakout seasons until they're 22 or 23 or even older. But sure, lets just give him away for a 3rd round pick, I don't think even Chiarelli is as dumb as that holy ****.
I’m saying don’t trade him for a 3rd. Trade him for something valuable now so we don’t have to do it for a 3rd in 20 months.

There’s nothing there with this player. It’s not that he hasn’t had a breakout season it’s that he is f***ing garbage and has been since day one.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I’m saying don’t trade him for a 3rd. Trade him for something valuable now so we don’t have to do it for a 3rd in 20 months.

There’s nothing there with this player. It’s not that he hasn’t had a breakout season it’s that he is ****ing garbage and has been since day one.
Lol you're expecting the GM to make hay with anything? Keep dreaming. The Oilers couldn't develop film and Chiarelli subscribes to Shel Silverstein.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Do people even watch JP play before labeling him a bust? He's shown flashes of elite skill and defensive awareness which is quite remarkable for a 20 year old. He already has the size and speed to be a good player. At worst, in his prime he will be a 20-20 player that can be used in a checking role.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I want Oilers to give him another long AHL stint before thinking about trading him. When Rattie returns I hope we send Pulju down for 20 or so games.

I know we need offense in NHL but we should not ruin this man's career for it.

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
I want Oilers to give him another long AHL stint before thinking about trading him. When Rattie returns I hope we send Pulju down for 20 or so games.

I know we need offense in NHL but we should not ruin this man's career for it.

I prefer a new coach first before a trade.

Reactions: North

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
If the Oilers are going to salvage something of JP’s career, then he needs to be sent to Bakersfield where he can excel. That would give him the ability to develop his professional game without the pressure of the mess in Edmonton.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Do people even watch JP play before labeling him a bust? He's shown flashes of elite skill and defensive awareness which is quite remarkable for a 20 year old. He already has the size and speed to be a good player. At worst, in his prime he will be a 20-20 player that can be used in a checking role.

There is no patience with some of the fanbase to let a player work through his growing pains.

Seeing glimpses of what Puljujarvi can be, I'm certain trading him away for the defensive flavour of the week or whatever would be a very big mistake.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
If the Oilers are going to salvage something of JP’s career, then he needs to be sent to Bakersfield where he can excel. That would give him the ability to develop his professional game without the pressure of the mess in Edmonton.
He wasn't happy about being sent down to Bakersfield before, I'm guessing he'd be even less happy about it now, He'd probably pout about being sent down and it would take him 20-30 games just to pull his head of his own butt and actually start to play upto anything approaching his ability, so nearly half a season down the drain before any real development would occur.

He's good enough for the NHL now, just keep playing him in the bigs and hope something clicks for him. What he most needs now is confidence and to find consistency in his game, if he gets one of those he'll be a useful , but somewhat underwhelming player, if he finds both he should be a prominent player in our top 6 for a long time.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I'm still undecided about him.

One thing that I don't understand is the s**t the org has taken over him. I hate the bulls**t this team has done as much as anyone but not in this case.

Development? English? How about some responsibility on his part? Consider this; while I realize every family situation is different, if my son gets signed then is teetering on joining a team for a lot of money in the best league in the world, you better believe my wife and I'd be there every step of the way whenever possible to assist him and knock down any barriers (language?) that arise. Failing that I would ensure he had some kind of support system in place.

It's past the time for the org to be accountable for him. Not giving up on him, but he needs to figure it out on his own who he is as a player and where he wants to be.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What flashes of elite skill has he shown? Seriously. He's not shown an ounce of it at the NHL level.

JariCurry

Sep 10, 2005
I'm still undecided about him.

One thing that I don't understand is the s**t the org has taken over him. I hate the bulls**t this team has done as much as anyone but not in this case.

Development? English? How about some responsibility on his part? Consider this; while I realize every family situation is different, if my son gets signed then is teetering on joining a team for a lot of money in the best league in the world, you better believe my wife and I'd be there every step of the way whenever possible to assist him and knock down any barriers (language?) that arise. Failing that I would ensure he had some kind of support system in place.

It's past the time for the org to be accountable for him. Not giving up on him, but he needs to figure it out on his own who he is as a player and where he wants to be.
I posted a link earlier in this thread to an interview from summer before last with him being asked if he practiced his english over the summer and his reply was "no". It seemed bizarre at the time and even more bizarre looking at it now seeing how his english has barely progressed. I had to learn a second language at 30 yo and to make good progress you should be studying a couple hours a day to get a good foundation. It's ridiculous with the amount media these guys do that he can still just barely piece a couple of sentences together.

That said I think he can be a 2nd liner and they should be patient with him. Some time in the AHL will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->