Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi pt 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Maby I wrote it wrong, but I do not think Teräväinen was better at defence back then, now he is pretty good.

Dunno.
I have seen Jesse play from 16 years old and even met him once.
He fumbled puck at Liiga also it is not new. Lack of time and space makes it look worse.
Nice dude and hope for the best.

But it looks bad.

I also hope he gets it going, but I am realist. Third line winger at tops.

This aspect is not fully understood it seems. The bolded is such a huge factor in transition to NHL.

What a quantum difference NHL pace is, and on a smaller ice surface with less ice dimension, and with really fast players converging.

This is the primary reason tons of players don't make the adjustment. Not saying that with Pulju, just that its been a primary problem thus far. It can result in forced plays, panicked plays, lack of composure, lack of control, hacking at puck, and generally freezing. Even good players susceptible to this and vet players like Rieder this season. Or Lucic seemingly always.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Jessie isn't a Yakupov with no two way sense. He has solid positioning and an active well placed stick. He has the size and strength and skating to battle in all 3 zones. He has an nhl shot and can take and send elite passes.

With the exception of size I don't think any of this is true. If it was true he wouldn't be so worthless at the NHL level.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
With the exception of size I don't think any of this is true. If it was true he wouldn't be so worthless at the NHL level.

His stat line on this team with his linemates ice time blah blah at age 20...

Worthless is a pretty bizarre take.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
His stat line on this team with his linemates ice time blah blah at age 20...

Worthless is a pretty bizarre take.
It's an accurate take. He's not an NHL caliber player. He hurts you when he's on the ice. It's not even that he's stagnated as a player. He's regressed since he's gotten here. He has no consistent stand out NHL ability.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
It's an accurate take. He's not an NHL caliber player. He hurts you when he's on the ice. It's not even that he's stagnated as a player. He's regressed since he's gotten here. He has no consistent stand out NHL ability.
and he's also 20 so he has time to improve. He's not even fully developed for crying outloud. Oiler fans are the WORST at a) evaluating talent b) being patient with developing players

But what they are best at is a) hating a player at a young age and then regretting it b) running players out of town that don't deserve it and c) Making terrible assumptions

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Oiler fans are the worst. Massively overhype our prospects then want to run them out of town when their progresion isnt in a straight line.

I'm trying to figure out what Puljujarvi's progression line looks like right now?
I know, he's young and the organisation (and its fans) should be patient.
But in his third season in the show, he was outscored by such illustrious players as Khaira, Brodziak, Rattie, Rieder, and Sam friggen Gagner (in 25 games!). Even everyone's favourite punching-bag Milan Lucic managed to double his offensive production.

I know, all the Jesse supporters will point to ice-time and line-mates, but sometimes you have to earn your spots.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I'm trying to figure out what Puljujarvi's progression line looks like right now?
But in his third season in the show, he was outscored by such illustrious players as Khaira, Brodziak, Rattie, Rieder, and Sam friggen Gagner (in 25 games!). Even everyone's favourite punching-bag Milan Lucic managed to double his offensive production.

I know, all the Jesse supporters will point to ice-time and line-mates, but sometimes you have to earn your spots.

The year before he had 11 goals. On pace for 15. I wonder if his hip issues had anything to do with that.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Thats why he said that Oilers fans are good at hating and being inpatient. He's our 24 year old 4o point mean defensemen. Why should we hate him?
Not hating on him but I don't like his obvious blackouts he has once in a while. Regardless, we need him and he's taking steps in the right direction.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
It’s almost like watching a sitcom when it comes to watching him play. The amount of things that can go wrong when he’s on the ice just does.

He’ll take a stretch pass off his blade and it just goes forward and he can’t control it. He’ll pass it back to our defensemen and our defensemen isn’t there. He’ll pass to a player he thinks is driving backdoor but the player decides to stay high slot instead.

If bad luck could stretch for as long of a period as seasons, then I’d account it all to bad luck. However, I don’t know about that.

It sounds harsh, I know he’s young but someone said that Puljujarvi’s stick is a graveyard for plays to die on. I kind of agree.

Oil53

Jun 4, 2018
I think that if we would have drafted Laine we would be talking about Puljijarvi doing so well in Winnipeg and what went wrong with Laine.In Winnipeg Laine was -33 his first year.Do you think that our development first coaching would have tolerated that kind of result.They never would have put Laine on the PP,left side,to take advantage of his incredible shot just as they never allowed Puljijarvi to do so in his time here.Also,I think that Winnipeg would have addressed his language issue first thing rather than later as the nonsupport management of the Oilers tend to do.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think that if we would have drafted Laine we would be talking about Puljijarvi doing so well in Winnipeg and what went wrong with Laine.In Winnipeg Laine was -33 his first year.Do you think that our development first coaching would have tolerated that kind of result.They never would have put Laine on the PP,left side,to take advantage of his incredible shot just as they never allowed Puljijarvi to do so in his time here.Also,I think that Winnipeg would have addressed his language issue first thing rather than later as the nonsupport management of the Oilers tend to do.
LOL he also scored 30 goals and then like 45. Yeesh what a post.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Have we heard anything new on him, as far as actual news goes? Is he training or is still resting up from surgery, etc. Did it ever mention how much training time he will get this summer?

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
and he's also 20 so he has time to improve. He's not even fully developed for crying outloud. Oiler fans are the WORST at a) evaluating talent b) being patient with developing players

But what they are best at is a) hating a player at a young age and then regretting it b) running players out of town that don't deserve it and c) Making terrible assumptions

D) exaggerating said players bad play.

No one is going to say Jessie had a good year but some people make him sound like a complete liability. I must have missed the games that he single handedly lost us with his apparent lack of hockey skills...

Weird. Very weird.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
D) exaggerating said players bad play.

No one is going to say Jessie had a good year but some people make him sound like a complete liability. I must have missed the games that he single handedly lost us with his apparent lack of hockey skills...

Weird. Very weird.

The thing I find really puzzling about him is that he seemed to be a pretty good defensive player in his rookie year. He just seemed to get worse the more time he spends with the coaching staff.

Last year he was on Bakersfield, came up to the Oilers and he looked pretty good. But as the year went on, did worse with the coaching staff.

This year he looked great in preseason. Never really got any more responsibility or ice time, and just got worse as the year went on. He just couldnt get on track this year.

I think he will be a player, I just dont know what his upside is. Like you said, he wasnt losing the team games. Wonder what kind of impact the hip problem had on his game and how much he will bounce back. No one knows for sure, but the team needs to be patient with him, unless theres a good deal to be made. Selling him off for peanuts or to get rid of a contract is such an Oilers thing to do.

Reactions: Aerrol and Aerchon

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
The thing I find really puzzling about him is that he seemed to be a pretty good defensive player in his rookie year. He just seemed to get worse the more time he spends with the coaching staff.

Last year he was on Bakersfield, came up to the Oilers and he looked pretty good. But as the year went on, did worse with the coaching staff.

This year he looked great in preseason. Never really got any more responsibility or ice time, and just got worse as the year went on. He just couldnt get on track this year.

I think he will be a player, I just dont know what his upside is. Like you said, he wasnt losing the team games. Wonder what kind of impact the hip problem had on his game and how much he will bounce back. No one knows for sure, but the team needs to be patient with him, unless theres a good deal to be made. Selling him off for peanuts or to get rid of a contract is such an Oilers thing to do.

Confidence.

This Organization has to figure out that the days of "tough love" towards players are dead. Support, communicate and provide the players with every opportunity to succeed and they will reward you.

The Oilers have sent nothing but mixed messages to Pulju and it has greatly impacted his confidence and it could end up destroying his NHL career.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

All those players are older and have more experience then JP..

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Not hating on him but I don't like his obvious blackouts he has once in a while. Regardless, we need him and he's taking steps in the right direction.
Mark my words if Nurse gets traded it will be one of the worse decisions made by this pitiful franchise.
That garbage contract he signed is going to be regrettable. He should’ve been offered 4-5 years and instead he gets 2 years while allstar Koskinen gets longer. My God. “Group Decision” holy we are so screwed

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
All those players are older and have more experience then JP..

Right, which is why I prefaced the statement with "I know he's young and the organisation should be patient"

BUT... At what point do you demand a player to at least keep pace with a bunch of tweeners, journey-men, and has-beens (albeit, yes older and more experienced)? Jesse hasn't done that yet.

I'm not writing him off or calling him a bust, but at this point in time, he's simply not an effective NHL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad