Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi pt 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Puljujärvi bust threads started 2 years ago when he was still 18 years old. Fans blame management and by all accounts rightfully so.

Even so, I hope that the fanbase soon realizes it's responsibility here too. There's so much toxicity in this city. When someone has a down period they are relentlessly targeted. By now, Puljujärvi might actually be a bust. But there's so many examples of giving up on prospects too soon. Nurse' last two years should be a testiment to that. He was a "hopeless" prospect after his rookie season too

Maybe just maybe, Oilers would be a little bit better if we didn't have thousand and thousand negative posts about 20 YOs

And if he doesn’t read Social media or hockey fan forums which all players a directed not to do ?

Mara

May 10, 2011
He’s doing okay in a league far below the NHL. Cool story man.

As weird as it sounds for a guy who has 139 games in the NHL, this is actually the first season in his career that he's a top player in a men's league. His previous season in Finland he was still finding his footing and obviously wasn't near as good as he is now. He gets to play in a stable environment, pretty much guaranteed first line minutes and power play. Could be just what the doctor ordered. He has a lot of older, experienced guys around him who don't have to worry about fighting for their spot - they are in a position to help him grow on and off the ice.

On top of that he gets support from former members of the organization, the "extended family" so to speak. A guy called Hannes Hyvönen has apparently been holding some shooting practice for him and a couple of other guys from the team. I don't know if it's because of that or what but his shot has improved a lot even compared to the start of the season. His shooting % has climbed from 5 to 9.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
As weird as it sounds for a guy who has 139 games in the NHL, this is actually the first season in his career that he's a top player in a men's league. His previous season in Finland he was still finding his footing and obviously wasn't near as good as he is now. He gets to play in a stable environment, pretty much guaranteed first line minutes and power play. Could be just what the doctor ordered. He has a lot of older, experienced guys around him who don't have to worry about fighting for their spot - they are in a position to help him grow on and off the ice.

On top of that he gets support from former members of the organization, the "extended family" so to speak. A guy called Hannes Hyvönen has apparently been holding some shooting practice for him and a couple of other guys from the team. I don't know if it's because of that or what but his shot has improved a lot even compared to the start of the season. His shooting % has climbed from 5 to 9.
Except it’s a European rink size, not North American, which means he still needs help adjusting to the NHL game...

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
If he had gone to the KHL that’d be something but he’s basically playing in a league that’s a half step between the AHL and the ECHL.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

I dont disagree. I actually wanted him sent back to Europe even before this whole trade request drama.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
If he had gone to the KHL that’d be something but he’s basically playing in a league that’s a half step between the AHL and the ECHL.

KHL has only few top teams. Others are way worse than what Kärpät and Tappara are. Probably most Finnish teams are better coached than KHL Russian teams. The only thing that KHL has is skills but you cannot develop as a hockey player if you don't have good coaches. Jesse could dominate in the KHL even more than in Finland because his strengths are those that make players shine in Russia but then he wouldn't be able to get better where he isn't good yet. I don't even want to mention the AHL which is kind of a beer league. You cannot compare top European league to minor leagues where those players play that aren't good. Below average 4th line players earn here about the same what Puljujärvi would have earned in the all hockey losers. That tells something about that league. Jesse is not a grinder type of a player and therefore he chose a very good place to develop his game. Especially because he has time for training. Young players need training twice a day, not to sit in a bus all day.

Reactions: sleb

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
It's fine, the more he scores the better his value is.

I just don't buy this. The players who typically lead these Euro leagues in scoring are NHL castoffs. Guys who weren't good enough.

I think his trade value is the same as it was when he left regardless of how many points he ends up getting.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
KHL has only few top teams. Others are way worse than what Kärpät and Tappara are. Probably most Finnish teams are better coached than KHL Russian teams. The only thing that KHL has is skills but you cannot develop as a hockey player if you don't have good coaches. Jesse could dominate in the KHL even more than in Finland because his strengths are those that make players shine in Russia but then he wouldn't be able to get better where he isn't good yet. I don't even want to mention the AHL which is kind of a beer league. You cannot compare top European league to minor leagues where those players play that aren't good. Below average 4th line players earn here about the same what Puljujärvi would have earned in the all hockey losers. That tells something about that league. Jesse is not a grinder type of a player and therefore he chose a very good place to develop his game. Especially because he has time for training. Young players need training twice a day, not to sit in a bus all day.
The goals I see scored in the AHL are infinitely more impressive than the ones I’ve been seeing from liiga so I’m not sure why you’re calling the AHL a beer league. There’s way more skill in the AHL.

Reactions: TB12 and frag2

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

What a joke. AHL beer league? It’s way better than that trash we’re seeing Jesse score on.

Mara

May 10, 2011
I just don't buy this. The players who typically lead these Euro leagues in scoring are NHL castoffs. Guys who weren't good enough.

I think his trade value is the same as it was when he left regardless of how many points he ends up getting.

It doesn't really matter what the level of play is, to an extent. He has the toolkit to make it in the NHL. A lot of these guys who lead the scoring in Europe have some great tools, but maybe not the tools to make it in the NHL.

Jesse is building his confidence again and focusing on improving his game in an environment where he gets very hands-on, individualized coaching. From what I've heard about North American hockey, no one there will hold your hand and focus their effort on helping you improve that way. You're expected to be a complete package, know what to do and just do it. Finnish teams know their role as a stepping stone to brighter lights and the coaching reflects that.

Mara

May 10, 2011
That puck fumble before he scored the goal does not give me confidence. Same poor puck control.

The puck changed direction half-a second before contact, he caught it and managed to get it on net. Past Jesse would've been flustered and either missed the puck, or missed the net. ;)

Reactions: sleb

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The puck changed direction half-a second before contact, he caught it and managed to get it on net. Past Jesse would've been flustered and either missed the puck, or missed the net. ;)

Draisaitl would have swatted it with his stick in one confident swoop. It does help his stick blade is a giant paddle!

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011

Hannes Hyvönen’s only skill as a player was quite litterally shooting the puck, and boy could he shoot it, so it makes sense he’s in charge of shooting practice. Let’s just hope he’s not trying to teach him any skating...

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
He's certainly fumbling the puck a lot but he's very effective so far. He's branded himself more as a power forward as he's constantly looking for hits and actually delivering the best hits of the team.

But I still feel like he's been told to shoot a lot, which he does. He's been told to hit, and he does. But it just somehow looks like that those reactions to situations he does aren't fluid, it's like he has to think before he does on every single thing besides actually shooting the puck.
If that problem is fixed, I'll be happy to see him back in the NHL as he's definitely better than your run of the mill AHL call up.

Currently I don't see much progress but I see results. And it isn't likely that he gets traded anymore.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
That last time I saw a goal like that in the NHL was never.

I've never seen soft goals in the NHL either. They just never happen.

What a joke. AHL beer league? It’s way better than that trash we’re seeing Jesse score on.

AHL isn't a beer league but it's not as good as the top European leagues. It's because it's a farm league, developmental rather than evenly matched pro league such as SHL, KHL or Liiga. Sure, there's some talent in the AHL but also a ton of plugs and the coaching is somewhat terrible. The game is unorganized and I have a hard time believing even the best AHL teams would do very well against the teams like Tappara, Kärpät or Frölunda... even Bern and other top NLA-teams.

I watched the whole AHL-season during the last lockout (or most of it since the streaming service was very bad). The game down there is far different from any league I ever followed.

https://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-best-ice-hockey-leagues/

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
He's certainly fumbling the puck a lot but he's very effective so far. He's branded himself more as a power forward as he's constantly looking for hits and actually delivering the best hits of the team.

But I still feel like he's been told to shoot a lot, which he does. He's been told to hit, and he does. But it just somehow looks like that those reactions to situations he does aren't fluid, it's like he has to think before he does on every single thing besides actually shooting the puck.
If that problem is fixed, I'll be happy to see him back in the NHL as he's definitely better than your run of the mill AHL call up.

Currently I don't see much progress but I see results. And it isn't likely that he gets traded anymore.

Almost sounds like he's only doing it because he's been told 'its part of the game' but he has no idea when or why he's doing them aside from 'its part of the game'

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
oh come on, tons of ”****ty goals” in the NHL too. It’s weird how you guys literally discredit everything the kid does...

I'm not discrediting him. I'm just discrediting the idea that simply scoring goals is going to up his value.

A large majority of his goals have been like yesterday's. Goals that just don't happen in the NHL beyond incredibly rare flukes.

He's the same player that's just scoring more because he's in a weaker league. Scouts are going to see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad