Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi pt 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Continue

So... Yes? Or do you have sources on any of your claims?

I remember reading he was suggested to shorten his stick, but you just went and tried to paint him as someone who's ignoring coaching because you think it still looks long?

He's struggling enough with what we can see, making up baseless accusations to further your hatred agenda just makes you look like someone nobody will ever be able to take seriously because you're blinded by irrational hatred.

What?

They suggested to him to shorten his stick and he didn't.

So either he didn't listen or he just...didn't do it?

There is no narrative being created here.

Big fails on both sides for sure. Might not be a total lost cause but it’s getting close.

I believe he changed sticks but didn’t shorten it.

It came off like he's basing whether or not he changed his stick on his viewing of it and thinking it's long. I haven't found anything they says he did or didn't listen, which is why I asked if he was making it up, or if there was a source saying he didn't change anything.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
I thought Jesse did shorten his stick at the start of the season, Todd told him to shorten his stick. I think Hitch told him to switch back because he wants more reach for him as he has labeled him as someone with a good stick.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Still not sure why he's not in Bakersfield.

Surely it can't be hard to find someone to look like a ghost for 10 minutes a night.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Still not sure why he's not in Bakersfield.

Surely it can't be hard to find someone to look like a ghost for 10 minutes a night.

I think the org is more worried about trying to make him comfortable here to see if he "settles in".

It doesn't appear to be working though. With this being his last season of being waiver exempt, he needs to be sent down imo..he may hate it, but playing him under 10 mins a night here is going to lead to a very short career.

Reactions: ConnorMcNugesaitl

alesis

Dec 1, 2008
I thought Jesse did shorten his stick at the start of the season, Todd told him to shorten his stick. I think Hitch told him to switch back because he wants more reach for him as he has labeled him as someone with a good stick.
Either way it is impossible to tell is it two inches shorter or not. It looks the same. It feels totally different though. The angles and the flex change dramatically.

the mcdavid era

Jul 10, 2017
I think Puljujarvi may actually be worse than Yakupov. Yak had a pretty decent rookie season. Puljujarvi may never post those kinds of numbers

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think Puljujarvi may actually be worse than Yakupov. Yak had a pretty decent rookie season. Puljujarvi may never post those kinds of numbers
Pulju's a better player away from the puck, by a significant amount.

But arguing who might be better/worse doesn't really matter unfortunately. Yak is arguably the biggest bust of all time. Pulju is the biggest bust since.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I see them as similar calibre right now. Yak is better offensively. Pulju is better defensively.

I’d actually take Yak back right now, we’re so starved for offense. He could at least put up 25-35 points... which would be like 2nd amongst our wingers

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He’s pointless in 10 of the last 11 games. He’s basically just been a competent bottom 6er lately.
Yeah he was producing at a pretty good rate (for Puljujarvi) and was then demoted. Hasn’t done a thing offensively since.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
He’s pointless in 10 of the last 11 games. He’s basically just been a competent bottom 6er lately.

I give up and write here, but promise to do it very very sparingly. Mainly for myself as I don't have the time to get as involved anymore.

I've done it myself, too, but for sure it's easy to use the stats selectively. You could also say that before being placed on the 4th line he had 4 points in 9 games, which was as high as any winger did during that time. Or that the p/60 during that time would be easily the 2nd best out of the wingers this season.

So at least he was trending upwards and thus one could question the timing of the demotion. But I understand why you chose that phrasing.

It seems like Pulju's time in the Oilers may be up soon. That may be good as all the trade rumours must be quite bothering. If a trade happens the main thing I won't understand is the complete lack of PP usage at his natural position. Except for one (?) game a while ago, which resulted in a goal.

So trade or AHL are fine to me, as I can't see him scoring points and thus turning things around on the 4th line. I still add that his p/60 with McD and Drai hasn't been bad during these years, so some other team should think he's still just 20 and could be scoring more with better linemates and PP usage. Thus the Oilers should still be able to get reasonable value for him, though it's certainly less than a year ago, when his confidence was high and things looked bright enough.

Last edited:

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Ya that doesn't change the fact he has been one of our better wingers in the last 11 games. .

We must have the worst group of wingers in the entire league. Chiasson is our best true winger and he was a training camp pick up. This organization was set on using Puljujarvi and Yamamoto 2-3 years too early. Brutal decision making.

Reactions: nabob

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
We must have the worst group of wingers in the entire league. Chiasson is our best true winger and he was a training camp pick up. This organization was set on using Puljujarvi and Yamamoto 2-3 years too early. Brutal decision making.
Honestly we do. Chiasson has been gud in awhile either.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Really need to dump this guy for next year.

Do we? His production when played in the top six has been pretty good compared to our other wingers. Out of the players that “we need to dump” I wouldn’t have him very high on the list.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Yeah he was producing at a pretty good rate (for Puljujarvi) and was then demoted. Hasn’t done a thing offensively since.

Pretty much everyone produces like that when in our top 6 though. Just look at Kassian right now. He’s got to start putting up points in the bottom 6 if he wants a permanent promotion

Ya that doesn't change the fact he has been one of our better wingers in the last 11 games. maybe try watching the games instead of boxscore watching.

Seriously? You’re joking right? :laugh:

We definitely have the worst group of wingers in the league. You’d probably have a hard time finding a worse winger group ever.

Do we? His production when played in the top six has been pretty good compared to our other wingers. Out of the players that “we need to dump” I wouldn’t have him very high on the list.

I definitely wouldn’t say we should dump him either. Even when he’s not scoring he’s at least helping the team. Problem is, it’s starting to look like he might top out as like a 3rd liner. If you can get good value for him, it’s not necessarily a bad idea to trade him

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Serious question...what exactly is Jesse good at? If you were the coach and looking at the lineup and deciding what the lines will be...when you get to Jesse's name what conclusion would you come to?

I honesltly dont have a clue what Jesse brings to help a coach decide where he should play him.

Reactions: MisterD and frag2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
First period.

Rieder makes a nice pass to Jesse standing at edge of slot and Pulju whiffs it. His stick looks really too long. he heeled it again. He's done that something like 25 times this season. Its just hilarious. Its like a field hockey player trying to get used to a much longer hockey stick. His blade is slamming into the ice before it even reaches the puck. Does anybody on the bench spot this?

f***! Just saw off his sticks when the idiot isn't looking. Take 6inches off at least.

if somebody told you this was an expected 3rd pick a few years ago you would laugh. If it was a Calgary draft pick...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad