Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi pt 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I think that if we would have drafted Laine we would be talking about Puljijarvi doing so well in Winnipeg and what went wrong with Laine.In Winnipeg Laine was -33 his first year.Do you think that our development first coaching would have tolerated that kind of result.They never would have put Laine on the PP,left side,to take advantage of his incredible shot just as they never allowed Puljijarvi to do so in his time here.Also,I think that Winnipeg would have addressed his language issue first thing rather than later as the nonsupport management of the Oilers tend to do.
Laine was +7 as a rookie.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
D) exaggerating said players bad play.

No one is going to say Jessie had a good year but some people make him sound like a complete liability. I must have missed the games that he single handedly lost us with his apparent lack of hockey skills...

Weird. Very weird.
It’s the same how people act like Darnell nurse is the worst defensive player in the league.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Mark my words if Nurse gets traded it will be one of the worse decisions made by this pitiful franchise.
That garbage contract he signed is going to be regrettable. He should’ve been offered 4-5 years and instead he gets 2 years while allstar Koskinen gets longer. My God. “Group Decision” holy we are so screwed
I'm on the same boat as you. I don't want to trade him. Our already thin D-corps can't take another hit. Especially if it is a young dman. That said, I would make me really happy if he could lessen his in-game brainfarts.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Mark my words if Nurse gets traded it will be one of the worse decisions made by this pitiful franchise.
That garbage contract he signed is going to be regrettable. He should’ve been offered 4-5 years and instead he gets 2 years while allstar Koskinen gets longer. My God. “Group Decision” holy we are so screwed

No wait a minute, you're comparing a rfa to a ufa (different positions as well) also all of Nurse's comps were getting around the same amount with only Theodore (7 years at 5.2) getting longer. Josh Morrissey, whom is def the better player, got a similar 2 year deal (2 years 3.15). Hanifin signed a 6 year at 4.95. All of which were/are better or similar to Nurse

Hanifin signed after 10g 22a 32p in 79gp
Theodore signed after 6g 23a 29p in 61gp
Morrisey signed after 7g 19a 26p in 81gp

Nurse signed after 6g 20a 26p in 82gp

So explain why when his comps signed a similar deal in Morrisey and reasonable deals in both Hanifin and Theodore, why we should have bent to Nurse's demands of over 6 mill a year? Explain why the bridge deal was bad

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
KHL-pomo kosiskelee Jesse Puljujärveä avoimesti Venäjälle - agenttitoimistolla tiukka kanta
KHL team Torpedo Nizni Novgorod who owns Jesse's KHL rights has showed interest to sign Jesse.
Just for now this is a rumor and Jesse's agent has said Jesse's goal is to play in NHL next year.
But if there's smoke there's fire too.

There's also been many articles about his FEL team Kärpät being after him, but his agent Sami Mettovaara said the following: "Jesse won't be playing in Kärpät during the season 2019-20. These bull****shit stories. Jesse will be playing in the NHL next season. Period."

I would be surprised if no KHL or FEL team were chasing him. I wouldn't call that actual smoke in this case, but I guess anything's always possible.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
So no Finland or KHL and set on the NHL after flirting a break up being for the best. This is not going to end well. Sell while you still can and I'm serious. If after 25 games and he's sitting at 4 points the Oil will be lucky to salvage the same return as Yakupov. When you have THAT much God given talent and size and you can't improve even marginally after 100+ games it is a damning demonstration of simply not being able to learn.

In 3 days no one will ever be able to say "he is only 20" again and that point doesn't hold up unless said prospect has shown demonstrable improvement even if it isn't all the time. I'm just not seeing it with JP and I can't say I ever have

Everyone better hope he keeps his brains in his hips

Reactions: yzerman and Hynh

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
The dude is no dude perfect but a nice level-headed fella judging by the impression I got about him while meeting him on a court once.

The problem known as the Strange Odyssey of Jesse Pool Lake if I may offer my objective/neutral take on the issue is manifold. It is a complex, multilayered and what is worst re-iterative/self-sustaining interlock of difficulties, a vicious circle in a sense. There are the problematic cross-cultural factors, group dynamics, the language issue resulting in a severe (non-)communication issue, the well-reported and known gaping holes and serious flaws in Pool's game & on-ice vision which get still magnified by the distressing/stressful situation, the challenges set on the dude¨s mind and abilities by harsh psychological realities. You simply cannot develop properly if at all in a bubble of your own with badly lacking communication skills, low and even lower confidence, all the pressures and uncertainties hanging over you like the sword of Damocles, the fear of failure and the fear of being a failure, a bust being one of them.

How could you even start to sort out this kind of a total mess, let alone in an organisation which has anything but impressive track record in handling difficult developmental (or organisation cultural) issues. You might need an independent external consult (and Jesse might need or benefit from appointing to a shrink) to put all the multifaceted pieces and shards together in the management and in the development of the given player. --- So, what about the Pool Kid, what will become of him? The jury is still out and only time will tell, a truism knows this much, which is not that much. In any case, the prospects are slim he would suddenly bloom, thrive and flourish in his current, pretty non-supportive environment. Let's hope the best though, to all respective parts of the puzzle.

Still an old nursery rhyme reminds us that even all the king's horses, all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again. The last question goes then whether Jesse Pool Lake is the poor Hunpty Dumpty of the Oilers, who once fell from the hype heaven on his butt and never was the same again. The jury is still - out there.

Reactions: Aerrol

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don't think Holland will trade JP this season. He's always been good and patient with Euro players and JP still has a ton of potential. JP will have another solid camp and hopefully our new coach rides with that confidence instead of burying him down the lineup to start the year.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
The dude is no dude perfect but a nice level-headed fella judging by the impression I got about him while meeting him on a court once.

The problem known as the Strange Odyssey of Jesse Pool Lake if I may offer my objective/neutral take on the issue is manifold. It is a complex, multilayered and what is worst re-iterative/self-sustaining interlock of difficulties, a vicious circle in a sense. There are the problematic cross-cultural factors, group dynamics, the language issue resulting in a severe (non-)communication issue, the well-reported and known gaping holes and serious flaws in Pool's game & on-ice vision which get still magnified by the distressing/stressful situation, the challenges set on the dude¨s mind and abilities by harsh psychological realities. You simply cannot develop properly if at all in a bubble of your own with badly lacking communication skills, low and even lower confidence, all the pressures and uncertainties hanging over you like the sword of Damocles, the fear of failure and the fear of being a failure, a bust being one of them.

How could you even start to sort out this kind of a total mess, let alone in an organisation which has anything but impressive track record in handling difficult developmental (or organisation cultural) issues. You might need an independent external consult (and Jesse might need or benefit from appointing to a shrink) to put all the multifaceted pieces and shards together in the management and in the development of the given player. --- So, what about the Pool Kid, what will become of him? The jury is still out and only time will tell, a truism knows this much, which is not that much. In any case, the prospects are slim he would suddenly bloom, thrive and flourish in his current, pretty non-supportive environment. Let's hope the best though, to all respective parts of the puzzle.

Still an old nursery rhyme reminds us that even all the king's horses, all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again. The last question goes then whether Jesse Pool Lake is the poor Hunpty Dumpty of the Oilers, who once fell from the hype heaven on his butt and never was the same again. The jury is still - out there.

.......What? :laugh:

I've missed these kinds of wacky posts. Good stuff.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
>Oh he scored 45 the next year? Must have missed that.

As soon as Eakins was gone, and they brought in Nelson, Yak starts scoring again,paired up with Derek Roy . Funny that. Tied for 4th on the team in scoring. 4 goals w/ Eakins, 10 w/ Nelson. Nelson coached 5 more games than Eakins that year, and it took him a bit to get his confidence back.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
The Puljujärvi bust threads started 2 years ago when he was still 18 years old. Fans blame management and by all accounts rightfully so.

Even so, I hope that the fanbase soon realizes it's responsibility here too. There's so much toxicity in this city. When someone has a down period they are relentlessly targeted. By now, Puljujärvi might actually be a bust. But there's so many examples of giving up on prospects too soon. Nurse' last two years should be a testiment to that. He was a "hopeless" prospect after his rookie season too

Maybe just maybe, Oilers would be a little bit better if we didn't have thousand and thousand negative posts about 20 YOs

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerchon

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
The Puljujärvi bust threads started 2 years ago when he was still 18 years old. Fans blame management and by all accounts rightfully so.

Even so, I hope that the fanbase soon realizes it's responsibility here too. There's so much toxicity in this city. When someone has a down period they are relentlessly targeted. By now, Puljujärvi might actually be a bust. But there's so many examples of giving up on prospects too soon. Nurse' last two years should be a testiment to that. He was a "hopeless" prospect after his rookie season too

Maybe just maybe, Oilers would be a little bit better if we didn't have thousand and thousand negative posts about 20 YOs
I agree this fanbase can be (way) too negative at times, but if a player doesn't pan out it is because of him or because of the way he was managed. Not because of us.

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I agree this fanbase can be (way) too negative at times, but if a player doesn't pan out it is because of him or because of the way he was managed. Not because of us.

This. Most people still dont know what JP is gonna be. If all it takes is a fanbase criticizing their own, LD would've busted as well already

He's obviously good enough against AHL comp and arguably against NHL tweeners too as shown by his preseason performance. It's when the pressure is on him in the NHL to be a top 6 forward where his game breaks down.

Would be a massive disappointment if a top 5 pick only tops out as a bottom 6r.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Considering Jesse has had some serious injuries with following rehab etc, i´m actually impressed of his numbers. I hope he plays a full season so he can develop his weaknesses, strengths and especially his confidence and mentality. One or two years in Europe and i have a feeling he could become a better Wheeler in the future. I really hope he can show the big finger to Oilers organization and those childish fans commenting on his instagram and hating on him when he had a tough time with everything. Injuries, language and Mclellan and other bad coaches. He´s a good kid and oh boy it would give me pleasure to see him reach that success.

I believe he would be a great fit with Teräväinen and the Canes or with Laine and Scheifele when Wheeler is getting older.
Otherwise i would always love him in that Flyers jersey.

Reactions: Studz

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
the Oilers organisation is the problem, not the player

Nope. JP is not as good as once thought.

He skates into his own players. He has no clue what to do in the offensive zone when he does not have the puck. He can't maintain the cycle.

He would be most productive by getting into open space in the offensive zone and acting as a shooter. Unfortunately, you can't play the role of shooter when you are standing right beside the other forwards on your team watching the puck.

Reactions: frag2

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Nope. JP is not as good as once thought.

He skates into his own players. He has no clue what to do in the offensive zone when he does not have the puck. He can't maintain the cycle.

He would be most productive by getting into open space in the offensive zone and acting as a shooter. Unfortunately, you can't play the role of shooter when you are standing right beside the other forwards on your team watching the puck.

doing okay with that in Finland.
Oilers have been throwing away young talent since the 90s - check your history

Reactions: Svedu and Studz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad