Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part VIII) - Pretty Mintniemi Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
yeah, if we get Duchene, KK is probably better in the NHL but on the wing.

It's not a conversation for now, so there's no point in posting it really, but if we did manage to get Duchene, I'd rather see KK developing in the AHL at center, playing 20 minutes a night in all situations, than playing 4th line wing or center. Perhaps he could learn a lot as a 4c. But I'm definitely fine with KK being that top nine winger you want to get. I think many are scared of KK starting out on the wing because Galchenyuk didn't work. Galchenyuk didn't work at C because he's not a C, not because he started out on the wing. KK is a C, and will be fine playing the wing until he's strong enough/physically mature enough to handle the 200 foot game and grind down low of being an NHL C. Big difference.

Absolutely there is no comparison to galchenyuk. KK has demonstrated he can play c, and is comfortable there. He just needs to get stronger. He looks like a natural center and won’t lose that ability with some time on the wing. Galchenyuk looked lost and still does at c.

I’m torn as to what is the best development path for KK. Tough call 3c or 4c.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Absolutely there is no comparison to galchenyuk. KK has demonstrated he can play c, and is comfortable there. He just needs to get stronger. He looks like a natural center and won’t lose that ability with some time on the wing. Galchenyuk looked lost and still does at c.

We know Julien is going to play him where ever he thinks will give him the best chance to win on any given night. That's the reason I bring up him being #1 C in Laval over #4C or even 4th line winger in Montreal. But, I actually think KK will be able to play his way into the top 9 next year, especially at the beginning of the year when he's fresh.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
imo KK would have to make huge strides by the start of the season next year for them to prefer him at center to Domi. imo KK would either be centering the 4th line (which I'm dead against), on the wing in the top 9, or in the AHL playing 20 minutes a night as a C. Things change so much, but perhaps Duchene's wingers are Drouin and Kotkaniemi, or Drouin and Armia, or tatar and Gallagher.
Domi is our most skilled player but he isn’t a great center... Lot of thing can change but has of now we only had 3 winger that have top 6 skills Gallagher, Tatar and Drouin... the first 2 are good players but they are game breaker, and Drouin is skilled but most night he doesn’t have any impact on the game. Domi isn’t the answer at center since the coaching staff have more faith in Danault and the team drafted KK to be #1C and since they didn’t play him in the AHL to save appearances this year, I doubt the have him on the wing next season that would look even worst.

Jul 6, 2016
Domi is our most skilled player but he isn’t a great center... Lot of thing can change but has of now we only had 3 winger that have top 6 skills Gallagher, Tatar and Drouin... the first 2 are good players but they are game breaker, and Drouin is skilled but most night he doesn’t have any impact on the game. Domi isn’t the answer at center since the coaching staff have more faith in Danault and the team drafted KK to be #1C and since they didn’t play him in the AHL to save appearances this year, I doubt the have him on the wing next season that would look even worst.

KK will start next season exactly where he started this one: at center on the third line.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
KK will start next season exactly where he started this one: at center on the third line.
It's possible and that's not a bad thing either. Will probably get more offensive starts as well

Jul 6, 2016
It's possible and that's not a bad thing either. Will probably get more offensive starts as well

And the kid will probably show up at next camp with 10 more pounds of muscle on his frame.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Let’s hope It never becomes one. It’s a good lesson for him to see and to NEVER accept being an effortless loser like Drouin.
I think the more important issue is he's seeing guys like Gally and Lehky busting their butts every shift.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The only revisionist history going on is in your posts

KK has not been playing as well lately, and as an 18 year old Julien decided at this moment to cut ice time and ultimately scratch him as well. However, he's played the majority of the season, had opportunities in all situations, and generally has done well. There's nothing to suggest they are going to ruin him, especially when they are making these decisions when there's 3 games left and playoffs are on the line. You play the players you feel will get you there. If KK isn't one of them at the moment so be it.

Exactly...

Svechnikov and Dahlin weigh roughly 20 pounds more than Kotkaniemi. One is also a winger while the other is a premier D prospect that was going to play a full season on any team in the league, nevermind a lottery team.

Thinking everyone else who disagrees with you is irrational is a symptom of insanity

That's what they told Galileo. :sarcasm:

Reactions: cphabs and Runner77

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
And the kid will probably show up at next camp with 10 more pounds of muscle on his frame.
For sure. There should be a visible difference in his physique and conditioning going into next year.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
I think the more important issue is he's seeing guys like Gally and Lehky busting their butts every shift.
Yes that is extremely important. I want Drouin given the boot fast to show these guys that being a LOSER like Drouin is unacceptable.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I understand the recent handling of KK. It’s not hard to believe someone of his age/size/experience has hit the wall. The games are must win and he has struggled.

I do think CJ, like many coaches, trusts veterans to a fault. It seems to be a widespread old school hockey thing.

My frustration, and I’m not sure it is entirely reasonable, is based on the arc of his season. In an ideal world, he would be playing his best hockey now, and that would have been the result of following a season-long plan.

It seems like the played him as much as possible as soon as possible until it was overload. Perhaps I’m asking for too much, but it’s a frustrating resolution to his season.

Reactions: Runner77

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
The guy just turned 18. He was in the league at 17.

Basically he should be in high school yet he’s playing in the best hockey league in the world.

Reactions: scrubadam

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
We know Julien is going to play him where ever he thinks will give him the best chance to win on any given night. That's the reason I bring up him being #1 C in Laval over #4C or even 4th line winger in Montreal. But, I actually think KK will be able to play his way into the top 9 next year, especially at the beginning of the year when he's fresh.

He was in the top 9 majority of this year. If you’re going to reduce him to the 4th line, he should be sent down to the AHL without a doubt. Edmonton did a somewhat similar thing with Draisaitl except with junior and it worked. But I see no reason to believe he isn’t capable of being a 2/3c next season. He put up 30+ points as one of the youngest players in the game and he was far from even being a sure thing at the beginning of this season. These god damn coaches in Montreal need to stop throwing developing centers on the wing trying to convince the fans they’re trying to develop. They’re more concerned with making the 8th seed then they are development. They could atleast be honest about it instead of treating everyone who follows like they’re stupid. They’ve done this for years and what makes it funnier is the media eats it up as “resting” or “protecting.”

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
34 points so far his first season as an 18 year old.

People should go back and read the draft thread when he was taken, or after the Rookie camp when everyone said he should go back to Finland and it was a mistake to take him.

Big deal he hit some bumps at the end of the season when its playoff hockey and the games get tight, and you are fatigued after a long 77 game grind. From where we came from the MEME on draft day to the bitching about him at Rookie camp to today everything is iceing on the cherry sunday.

Have some perspective and remember that this kid was a mistake that shouldn't have been playing in the NHL and we should of taken Zadina instead.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Kotkaniemi should be sent down to the AHL, and play on the wing, and on the 3rd line. Then he can be called up as a black ace. Bet you he wont be smiling then. Ha ha ha ha ha.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Let’s hope It never becomes one. It’s a good lesson for him to see and to NEVER accept being an effortless loser like Drouin.
I doubt KK needs any lessons in how not to be. The kid will develop into at least a very good player. Kind of a Kopitar/Getzlaf type center that can play a 200 foot game.

Jul 6, 2016
I do prefer KK in the line up on the 4th line (which is very important in today,s hockey) than having DeLo, Weise, Peca or Hudon in the line up.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

2C to start next year

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
He was in the top 9 majority of this year. If you’re going to reduce him to the 4th line, he should be sent down to the AHL without a doubt. Edmonton did a somewhat similar thing with Draisaitl except with junior and it worked. But I see no reason to believe he isn’t capable of being a 2/3c next season. He put up 30+ points as one of the youngest players in the game and he was far from even being a sure thing at the beginning of this season. These god damn coaches in Montreal need to stop throwing developing centers on the wing trying to convince the fans they’re trying to develop. They’re more concerned with making the 8th seed then they are development. They could atleast be honest about it instead of treating everyone who follows like they’re stupid. They’ve done this for years and what makes it funnier is the media eats it up as “resting” or “protecting.”

This... doesn't make sense. If he's reduced to being used on the fourth line it's because he's being used there because he's a better option in that spot than the next guy. You don't send your better option down to the AHL. Think about it for a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad